• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Richardson, TX
    Friends,

I will be travelling to Houston for a conference and will be walking around downtown Houston at night. I have every intention of carrying (I am a CHL licensee) while I am down there.

I was thinking of taking a Greyhound bus to avoid the hassle and cost of driving, gas, parking etc. However imgaine my chagrin when I learned that Greyhound has a NO (LEGAL) WEAPONS policy. Not only am I prohibited from having the weapon ON the bus, I can't even CHECK it in a bag?

My question is - what are the ramifications if I defy Greyhound and either carry it or simply check it in a bag (not an attractive choice either)? If it's simply violating private policy I can understand getting kicked off the bus. But is it a crime?

Also - do they do security screenings an airport with metal detectors?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
    Guns International

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I would bet the fine for getting cought would pay for a lot of gas.
    I have no Idea what the fine would be, but since its firearm related and this is Texas, Im more than positive that Legislature done when and passed some BS laws to get your money.
    You can pretty much bet that anytime you feel like a law is against your personnel well being, if you break that law you'll have to spend a bunch of money.

Dont risk getting cought for something like that. Just enjoy the drive and stay in controll of your own safety. I would really hate to hear you got in trouble over some libtarded Grey Hound gun bans.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    go check out the station, look for 30.06 signs, metal detectors... I've never traveled by GH bus so I couldn't tell you. If its posted 30.06 don't do it. Do a lilttle recon, call and ask about traveling with a CHL, they may have something thats not posted online.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Wow ! That lets Greyhound out for me, haven't ridden one since 1955 and not going to start now ! Let us assume that rather than American Servicemen and ordinary travellers, Greyhound transports zombies now ? Buses used to be a blast with Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines yakking and cutting up....was fun....

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Just a year after 9/11 I took the grayhound bus from Tulsa to Houston via Oklahoma City. I've always carried a pocket knife.

Oklahoma we had a two hour delay trying to throw a guy off the bus who was a trouble maker. Cops came in a cuffed him but they wouldn't let the other passengers off the bus before the police came in. Narrow path and sardine seats the struggle off the bus hit a few passengers on the way out the door to booking.

When we got to Dallas all passengers had to line up and get a pat down before heading to Houston. I indicated I had a 3in folding pocket knife and they made me check it in my baggage.

The folks riding the bus had unflattering life styles if not a bit creepy. Two guys were talking about the merits of different jails they'd been in. Got to Houston so late that I couldn't take the local buses back home. I didn't have enough traveling cash for an expensive taxi ride so I hitched a ride with a unregistered cab driver.

Never again.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Took the bus from Ft. Knox to Houston and it was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life. 22 hrs on a bus sucks. :banghead: Thank God every 3 or 4 hrs we would stop and I snuck on a 6 pack.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    It's obviously a moot point, since you've decided to travel by automobile, but here's the list of items prohibited on Greyhound Buses:

http://www.greyhound.com/en/docs/greyhound_prohibited_items_list.pdf

There are no state statutes that I am aware of, with the exception of Section 30.06 notification, that would create an offense for carrying on a Greyhound bus in Texas. I was unable to find any information that would indicate a federal prohibition of carrying on a bus or interstate transportation of a firearm by a person licensed to carry. Laws in other states and localities will vary.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Some stations may wand you as you board, some will not. You can put your gun in your bag with no problems, and you won't be breaking any laws.

Good choice to drive yourself.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    If you have never been to the Greyhound bus station in Houston, you are in for an eye opener. You better be well heeled my friend.

You have the most valid point so far. I havent rod a greyhound bus in about 25 years, and it sucked back then. Althow I do haveto go pick up packages from the greyhound now and then.
    Even in the small towns, the bus stations seem to be a hang out for dirtbags!!
    I would rather stay home than ride the bus.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    If you have never been to the Greyhound bus station in Houston, you are in for an eye opener. You better be well heeled my friend.

+1 Not the best area of town, to say the least. If you can't be carrying as soon as you step off the bus, find another way to get here.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have not checked the links, but if the notice they give meets the 30.06 notice requirements then you could be prosecuted for a class A misdemeanor.

The only buses I have ridden were charter ones, but I have heard nothing but near horror stories about general bus transportation.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have not checked the links, but if the notice they give meets the 30.06 notice requirements then you could be prosecuted for a class A misdemeanor.

The only buses I have ridden were charter ones, but I have heard nothing but near horror stories about general bus transportation.

It's just a list of stuff.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport

Nothing even close to the 30.06 wording

HydroMonster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    USA
    Just take the drive. The best that you can hope for if you ride the bus is they'll let you check it in. But what help would that be if ever you'll need your firearm?

Top Bottom