• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I am not a gunsmith. The closest I can come to that is being a Glock Advanced Armorer. I have put together an AR lower, made minor repairs to some guns, refinished stocks (beautifully I have been told) and mounted sights and glass optics but that's about it. So maybe I qualify as a bit of a home brewed gunSchmidd but definitely not as a gunsmith. I do tinker with my firearms now and then, not to modify them though. Personally, I do not think after-market modifications (like trigger jobs or substituting original parts with after-market ones) except maybe changing sights, adding optics, lights or sling swivels are a good idea but as I said that is personal preference.

That said, I do want to be able to repair at least some of the ones I have, especially the ones I would tend to depend upon for self defense. Thus I've taken the Glock Armorers class twice and their advanced Armorer's class once (wound up being essentially the same class just the advanced having a longer certification period, 2 more years as I recall). I also have copies of many firearms manuals and have several how to books on disassembly & assembly of guns.

Along those lines, a few or several years back I purchased a spare parts kit from Beretta for the 92 series pistols. It came with this stuff:

1605442721822.png

The Beretta 92 series pistols I own are rather complicated compared to a Glock pistol. I am none too sure I could change all those parts easily but would give it a try following the instructions I have for doing so. Good instructions usually get me there, to getting it right.

Anyway, what I am wondering has to do with my guns other than my Beretta 92 series pistols. That is, I am inquiring about spare parts kits for other makes & models of firearms - mostly ones I have specifically for defense.

Are there spare parts kits (made up to replace parts most likely to fail or maybe get lost - like small springs flying off into shag carpet - yes I am that guy) during maintenance, that are made for the following and if so - is one brand of parts kit more complete than another?

AR-15

AK-47

Remington 870

Glock 19 Gen5

Glock 26 Gen4

Glock 30 Gen 3 & 4

When it comes to my Glocks, I believe I would have to order individual parts (I much prefer OEM parts to after-market). I do not think they make spare parts kits like that one from Beretta. The Glock Armorer instructors certainly never mentioned such kits during any of my Glock Armorer classes. I will be making an inquiry of Glock soon but if someone here aready knows if they make spare parts kits for each of those pistols as opposed to selling individual spare parts, please chime in.

If spare parts kits for any of the above are available- please give me a link to their source(s).

If ready made and high quality spare parts kits for those weapons platforms are not readily available, what spare parts do you more knowledgeable folks recommend for each of those firearms.

Thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I dont know if they have kits, but when I need parts I always check numrichs.
    Gunpartscorp.com iirc

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I dont know if they have kits, but when I need parts I always check numrichs.
    Gunpartscorp.com iirc
    Thanks. Numrich is my go to source for parts for many older guns that I have. I also have used Poppert's. I just picked up 2 Ortgies 7.65mm Pistol firing pin spring guides from Poppert's that by eye actually look right - I think they make them. Another place, awhile back, sent me a pin from a Colt pistol and told me it would work correctly after advertising it was made to original specs for the Ortgies! Not shopping there any longer. One from Numrich was a bit shorther than the original and did not have a concave head (maybe it was for the 25 AUTO, they did not differentiate on their parts list for the Ortgies at Numrich). Popperts had my order to me in two days and they are in PA and me here in TX, they sent it Priority Mail which actually came on time for a change!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just buy a spare gun. Have a back up plan like that.

You talk about self defense weapons but in reality you aren't going to be fixing a firearm in a defensive situation beyond clearing a jam.

I am a firm believer in being prepared but having every spare part possible for that many firearms just isn't economical or necessary. New springs (recoil and magazine) are probably the exception.

Parts don't fail that often and most firearms don't require removing tiny parts and springs for routine maintenance.

Do as you wish but it just makes sense to order parts as you need them and swap that firearm for a working one in the meantime. If you have everything on that list it shouldn't be an issue.

Just my $0.02.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    As far as AR parts, I just simply buy parts in LPKs, upper build kits and BCGs. AR "oops" kits aren't a bad idea to have on hand either.

Glock kits are available (Glock parts kit) in upper, lower and spring kits, but be aware, availability for Glock parts is spotty as the 80% market pretty much seems to suck it dry. You should look at what used Glock uppers go for on GB. :eek:

For AK's, I generally try to buy new springs from Wolff and keep them on hand. But other parts I'm always on the lookout for used parts kits for a reasonable price. It doesn't always happen. I find with AK's, it's just made sense to have extra AK's around just in case parts an issue.

Besides GB for parts kits, I like to keep an eye on https://everygunpart.com/ . They tend to have a decent offering for guns kits, though prices can be hit or miss.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Sarco has numerous spare parts kits for Lugers, 1911’s, and many collectibles. Beware that you may spend a lot of time browsing. Call their store if you can’t find something. They have a 10 page ad in every issue of Shotgun News, one of the last publications worth subscribing to.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Another good source is Brownells.

In many cases, pins can be sourced in quantity as many are common sizes across platforms.

For the AR platforms, you can get field repair kits that have several common items, or get a lower parts kit. Then you may need parts for the BCG to complete the setup.

A few basic springs as mentioned before Wolff is a good source. For some platforms Numrich is not a great choice, especially or some older lines such as High Standard. In which case Interarms TX is the go to place. Recoil springs in the High Standard lines are important to replace to reduce the occurrence of frame cracks.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Just buy a spare gun. Have a back up plan like that.

You talk about self defense weapons but in reality you aren't going to be fixing a firearm in a defensive situation beyond clearing a jam.

I am a firm believer in being prepared but having every spare part possible for that many firearms just isn't economical or necessary. New springs (recoil and magazine) are probably the exception.

Parts don't fail that often and most firearms don't require removing tiny parts and springs for routine maintenance.

Do as you wish but it just makes sense to order parts as you need them and swap that firearm for a working one in the meantime. If you have everything on that list it shouldn't be an issue.

Just my $0.02.
    Some of us plan to pass down our guns. And there is a decent probability that my kids/grandkids will not be able to obtain spare parts.
    Either regulated out of existence, or simply not available due to age of gun.

I have bought some of the high wear parts and springs. {One doesn't have to buy spares for every single part.} They probably won't need replacing in my lifetime, but might well after I am gone.

And it is not much of a financial investment.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Good idea to have extra parts for you guns. I’m building up a spare parts kit for mine as well. Part eventually ware out and may become hard to find if even available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There are people who never wear out gun parts. They just don't shoot enough. If you do shoot a reasonable amount, you will wear out certain parts - especially springs. Some gun parts don't necessarily wear out, but are noted for breaking. On a 1911, for example, the plunger tube is staked in and can pop out pretty easily. On the older models with staked sights, they can shear off at the most inconvenient of times. Magazines wear out on everything. (How many times have you seen guys pawing through a bin of old magazines at a gun show? Makes you wonder how long it will be before they understand why somebody tossed them in that bin.) AR rifles have nice parts kits made by any number of makers. If you don't buy one, you will discover why they're popular some late evening when one of those super tiny springs launches across the garage, never to be found again. Or, instead of disappearing, it pops out at the wrong time so that you put a kink in it that ruins it. Then that parts kit looks like a really great investment.

Given the current political situation, it's not a bad idea to have some maintenance and repair parts around, as the time may come when there's nobody left in business to fix it for you.

Top Bottom