• ...and so much more!
  • M3rt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    That looks awesome. Good job.

Where you gonna find the ammo?

(someone had to say it :p)

HAHA online and there is an academy about 3 min from my house that i can get a couple boxes from when they get it in.
    Capitol Armory ad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    key words

Match grade is pretty easy to find online. Way more expensive than plinker ammo, but also way more accurate. That's about all I shoot in my mostly Kidd build.

Cool looking rifle. Post back after you get a chance to shoot it some. I'm interested to hear how that UL barrel preforms. I've got a Kidd 16" fluted barrel on mine, and like you said those do add some weight.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Match grade is pretty easy to find online. Way more expensive than plinker ammo, but also way more accurate. That's about all I shoot in my mostly Kidd build.

Cool looking rifle. Post back after you get a chance to shoot it some. I'm interested to hear how that UL barrel preforms. I've got a Kidd 16" fluted barrel on mine, and like you said those do add some weight.

I got mine a few months ago (you can see the thread here http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rimfire/51758-new-kidd-block.html). It's amazing how light and accurate the barrel is... easily on par with my match fluted barrel and only *slightly* less accurate than my match grade bull barrel.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack M3rt...

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I got mine a few months ago (you can see the thread here http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rimfire/51758-new-kidd-block.html). It's amazing how light and accurate the barrel is... easily on par with my match fluted barrel and only *slightly* less accurate than my match grade bull barrel.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack M3rt...

Thanks for that. When Kidd came out with the UL, I guess a year or so ago, I was intrigued but was worried it would not shoot as well as the regular light barrel Kidd offers. I can't remember the weight savings between the light and ultra light, but I know the regular light shoot pretty well. Not bull barrel accurate but pretty close.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Thanks for that. When Kidd came out with the UL, I guess a year or so ago, I was intrigued but was worried it would not shoot as well as the regular light barrel Kidd offers. I can't remember the weight savings between the light and ultra light, but I know the regular light shoot pretty well. Not bull barrel accurate but pretty close.

Do you have any data showing "Not bull barrel accurate"

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I'm heading out to Eagle Peak tomorrow for my day off. I'll bring both of my KIDD rifles (fluted match and ultra-lightweight) and I'll shoot a few groups from each for comparison. I'll post up some pics on this thread if M3rt doesn't mind...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Do you have any data showing "Not bull barrel accurate"

No, no personal data, just anecdotal things from various web sites. It does however stand to reason that a heavy bull barrel will tend to be more accurate. I guess I could be wrong in that assumption but this is assumed to be common wisdom. Do you have data showing contrary?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    No, no personal data, just anecdotal things from various web sites. It does however stand to reason that a heavy bull barrel will tend to be more accurate. I guess I could be wrong in that assumption but this is assumed to be common wisdom. Do you have data showing contrary?

From personal experience, it is not so much the weight or diameter of the barrel, but all about how the chamber is cut. Light and medium barrels with a match chamber tend to shoot better than "stock" barrels. Then again, cheap barrels have been known to be tack drivers with the right ammo.

That's the beauty of the .22 LR. You don't know what you have until you try seven gazillion brands/loadings in it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    From personal experience, it is not so much the weight or diameter of the barrel, but all about how the chamber is cut. Light and medium barrels with a match chamber tend to shoot better than "stock" barrels. Then again, cheap barrels have been known to be tack drivers with the right ammo.

That's the beauty of the .22 LR. You don't know what you have until you try seven gazillion brands/loadings in it.

Yeah, I was thinking Kidd bull barrel (with deluxe chamber) vs Kidd light weight, also with the Kidd deluxe chamber. And I still think all thing equal, I'd put my money on the heavy bull barrel with match grade ammo and a good shooter behind the gun.

But that is no reason not to get one of the LW or ULW barrels. If it's a tiny bit of accuracy loss that gains a light weight field gun it's worth it for that application.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to outfit one like that? I've never had a 10/22. Have had others, and have been a fan of the Marlin 60 for a while, but never had a 10/22, then swore off Ruger for a while because of Bill's compromise.

I've been coming back around and seem to have several Rugers now. A 10/22 is something that just seems like it should be on the list. Now I just have to figure out what I'd do with it if I get one.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I read in various articles that harmonics play a tiny role in accuracy as does the recoil pulse. Heavier barrels recoil a little less drastically than ultralight barrels while the round is still zipping across the rifling so there's a little less POA shift before it leaves the barrel. Obviously the .22 isn't a recoil monster but when you're hashing the difference between half inch and quarter inch groups every little bit helps...

However, I absolutely defer to guys far more knowledgeable on the subject...

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to outfit one like that? I've never had a 10/22. Have had others, and have been a fan of the Marlin 60 for a while, but never had a 10/22, then swore off Ruger for a while because of Bill's compromise.

I've been coming back around and seem to have several Rugers now. A 10/22 is something that just seems like it should be on the list. Now I just have to figure out what I'd do with it if I get one.

Cost pretty much runs the gamut dependent solely on how many custom components you want to cram into the rifle. You can spend as little as $50-80 for a trigger job or trigger kit all the way up to the ridiculous $1K-$2K full custom builds like the KIDD. It seems like folly to spend that much on a plinker... until you take the plunge and shoot one for yourself. At that point God help you.

Check out this site: Welcome to Kidd Innovative Design - Why Be Average? (830) 557-KIDD(5433)

Don't say I didn't warn ya :)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Well, we drifted this thread. Apologies to M3rt a new guy that we (I) got away from his original question/post.

M3rt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    I'm heading out to Eagle Peak tomorrow for my day off. I'll bring both of my KIDD rifles (fluted match and ultra-lightweight) and I'll shoot a few groups from each for comparison. I'll post up some pics on this thread if M3rt doesn't mind...

Don't mind at all! I would love to see that.

M3rt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    I ordered a couple different kinds of match ammo to try this weekend and will post results of each as well as standard 22 ammo.

Top Bottom