Venture Surplus ad

First .308 build that worked first time!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brynjanca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    734dc7eb34eafd42ab4574e7c47fb354.jpg
    I wanted to share my experience for a first 308 build and say thanks to this forum for the knowledge sharing.

I didn't end up getting any video of the first shoot, and I really wish I would've now, but after all the threads and posts I've read I really expected some sort of failure that I would need to tweak. I was incredibly pleased when it shot (without bowing up), ejected, and racked another shell like a dream.. this will probably be a long winded post so I'm sorry in advance but I'm sure some people will enjoy a complete success story so I'll start at the beginning..

Parts list:

Aero Precision M5 stripped upper w/forward assist

Aero M5 lower complete (wouldn't have done it complete but I found too good of a deal to pass up)

Faxon 18" mid weight barrel

Aero BCG NiBo with exo coating

F1-Firearms rail

Aero charging handle (will soon be AXTS Raptor)

Radical firearms adjustable gas block (.750)

Strike Indus. Mid-length gas tube

Strike Indus. Comp/muzzle break

Next two things will be a Geissele 2 stage drop in & a Vortex crossfire II scope

Ok so again I'll admit this wasn't completely custom from the ground up but it will be by the time it's said and done.

After months of researching and reading and trying to locate parts/compatibility etc. I finally decided that I had gained as much knowledge as I was going to get without taking the plunge and learning from experience. One of the only issues I had with this entire build is parts availability and accessibility. After I got my receivers a fire was burning in me that I couldn't put out. All I could do was think about the next piece to the puzzle and I ended up building this entire rifle in 4 days. That being said I did maintain enough discipline to not sacrifice getting a part that I didn't want, and yes this was difficult and frustrating, but well worth it in the end.

To spare y'all from the boring parts of this build I'll just say each component fit together like a dream until I got to the barrel nut and gas system. From what I had read the threads on the upper need to be worked over multiple times when installing the barrel nut so I assumed this was going to be difficult without a vise before I even got started. To further complicate things this particular barrel nut has gas tube grooves that required it to be lined up absolutely perfect or the tube wouldn't fit into the upper. All I will say is if you have access to a vise use it and it helped that I greased the threads. The last part was the gas block and to be honest this was the area I was least knowledgeable about. I made sure I got an adjustable because there are other components that I will change and wanted to be able to fine tune it. I read that common practice was to close it off to start then slightly open it until it's smoothly ejecting and re-racking like you want it. I admittedly took a shortcut on this and guessed because I didn't have a whole lot of time that day and I got lucky that it worked out but will take the time to do it right the next time I go shoot.

Anyway for the happy part of this post, after getting everything fit just right it was time to make it go boom. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, anxious, excited, and scared shitless all at the same time. With adrenaline flowing I squeezed one off and she sang like an angel with my face still in tact!! I hummed a couple more through and she ejected and re-racked every shell without fail. I couldn't be happier with the end result and learned a lot from other people's mistakes on here so again THANKS to everyone who shared their issues, questions, concerns, and answers!

If anyone has any questions or would like some more detailed info ask away and I'll be happy to share what I do know and don't know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Very nice rifle. Good job on the build

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

I never realized there was so many issues to building one of these until one of my buddies started researching his build recently.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    If looking on saving money on the trigger, take a look a LaRue MBT. Nice 2 stage trigger that many say is as good as a Geissele. $124 for the I can wait price. Or $99 when you can get one on sale.

Andrew P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    Canton, Tx
    Heck of a rifle brotha! My next build is gonna be very similar in terms of your parts list but in a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge!

734dc7eb34eafd42ab4574e7c47fb354.jpg
    I wanted to share my experience for a first 308 build and say thanks to this forum for the knowledge sharing.

I didn't end up getting any video of the first shoot, and I really wish I would've now, but after all the threads and posts I've read I really expected some sort of failure that I would need to tweak. I was incredibly pleased when it shot (without bowing up), ejected, and racked another shell like a dream.. this will probably be a long winded post so I'm sorry in advance but I'm sure some people will enjoy a complete success story so I'll start at the beginning..

Parts list:

Aero Precision M5 stripped upper w/forward assist

Aero M5 lower complete (wouldn't have done it complete but I found too good of a deal to pass up)

Faxon 18" mid weight barrel

Aero BCG NiBo with exo coating

F1-Firearms rail

Aero charging handle (will soon be AXTS Raptor)

Radical firearms adjustable gas block (.750)

Strike Indus. Mid-length gas tube

Strike Indus. Comp/muzzle break

Next two things will be a Geissele 2 stage drop in & a Vortex crossfire II scope

Ok so again I'll admit this wasn't completely custom from the ground up but it will be by the time it's said and done.

After months of researching and reading and trying to locate parts/compatibility etc. I finally decided that I had gained as much knowledge as I was going to get without taking the plunge and learning from experience. One of the only issues I had with this entire build is parts availability and accessibility. After I got my receivers a fire was burning in me that I couldn't put out. All I could do was think about the next piece to the puzzle and I ended up building this entire rifle in 4 days. That being said I did maintain enough discipline to not sacrifice getting a part that I didn't want, and yes this was difficult and frustrating, but well worth it in the end.

To spare y'all from the boring parts of this build I'll just say each component fit together like a dream until I got to the barrel nut and gas system. From what I had read the threads on the upper need to be worked over multiple times when installing the barrel nut so I assumed this was going to be difficult without a vise before I even got started. To further complicate things this particular barrel nut has gas tube grooves that required it to be lined up absolutely perfect or the tube wouldn't fit into the upper. All I will say is if you have access to a vise use it and it helped that I greased the threads. The last part was the gas block and to be honest this was the area I was least knowledgeable about. I made sure I got an adjustable because there are other components that I will change and wanted to be able to fine tune it. I read that common practice was to close it off to start then slightly open it until it's smoothly ejecting and re-racking like you want it. I admittedly took a shortcut on this and guessed because I didn't have a whole lot of time that day and I got lucky that it worked out but will take the time to do it right the next time I go shoot.

Anyway for the happy part of this post, after getting everything fit just right it was time to make it go boom. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, anxious, excited, and scared shitless all at the same time. With adrenaline flowing I squeezed one off and she sang like an angel with my face still in tact!! I hummed a couple more through and she ejected and re-racked every shell without fail. I couldn't be happier with the end result and learned a lot from other people's mistakes on here so again THANKS to everyone who shared their issues, questions, concerns, and answers!

If anyone has any questions or would like some more detailed info ask away and I'll be happy to share what I do know and don't know!

brynjanca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    Great looking Shooter. How's that Faxon barrel shoot? That's the same barrel I'm looking at picking up for my build. I'm also going with Aero Percision parts.

I like the barrel, it groups well and you can tell it's a quality barrel for the price it is. The only thing I've found, and it's probably consistent across 99% of all barrel manufacturers, is that it shoots different cold than it does after it's warmed up with a few rounds. My first shot is consistently ~ 1" different from the next 3 shots. It may be because I haven't completely broken it in yet? May be the barrel, may be a lot of things, but it's definitely not because it isn't clean. I always clean it after every time I shoot. Overall I'm happy with the faxon and it's consistent enough to where I can compensate for where that first shot will be, and I think it will get better with more rounds through it. But that's the one and only flaw I've found with it.

brynjanca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    Heck of a rifle brotha! My next build is gonna be very similar in terms of your parts list but in a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge!

Thanks Andrew! And yeah I'm extremely happy with my build. I'm intrigued by you doing it in 6.5 creed. The main reason I didn't do the 6.5 it's because of the availability of ammo compared to the 308 and cost of it, but if I was gonna do it again in a more rare caliber and price/availability wasn't a concern for me I'd probably do the creedmoor or the 26 nosler. I've heard and seen nothing but positive things about that 26 nosler round and need one like I need air! May be worth checking into if you're not dead set on the creedmoor. Good luck with the build though post your updates to this thread I'd like to see your progress!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Great job! And thanks for sharing. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor build in the works. I was told to buy the upper, lower and BCG from the same manufacturer. Looks like this confirms that theory.

Top Bottom