Venture Surplus ad

First Aid / Serious Trauma / Home Last Stand ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Over the years I have had some serious accidents so I am fairly well prepared for broken bones, minor gunshot wounds (never had one), medium to minor trauma without major blood loss. I have bandages, some medicine, canes, crutches, wheelchair, supports of all kinds and a few wash/wound cleaners.

What I am looking for is anything that we might be missing if this home becomes our last stand. Are there any lists out there that I can lok through that can give me an idea of what I might be missing to stock up on?

Suggestions?
    Target Sports

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    You spoke of minor blood loss. Does this mean you don't have a CAT (tourniquet)? From North American Rescue only. Accept no substitute.
    https://www.amazon.com/C-Combat-App...80346736&sr=8-3&keywords=cat+tourniquet+gen+7
    Mine's a Gen 6 but it's still good enough.

All I've ever used is the belt from around my waist. I purposely wear a 1.5" very thick gun belt that has a long tongue. I can make a decent tourniquet out of it but of course it ain't perfect as it is too thick. I obviously do not have any of my spare blood kept in storage or even any plasma or saline solution for hydration. But I do know how to crude complete an IV and give myself fluids if necessary so I am willing to look into it. I would like to take a course or class on this type of trauma to better prepare and understand how to do it. Do classes like this exist?

Thank you for the suggestion and yes that is sort of what I am looking for.

I am also looking for "lists" that preppers have put together for their stocks that I can go through to help jog my memory or suggest other items to consider for keeping in stock. The better categorized they are the better as opposed to one long list.

Thnaks

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    @Byrd- You mention to accept no substitutes but you link to amazon and the shipper is not NA Rescue............if you buy a CAT, best to buy direct from NAR, since there are so many fakes out there. CAT's are not that great when it comes to TQ's, the SOFTT-Wide from TacMed is a better option.

@TX69-if you are truly, truly wanting to learn more medical procedures then yes classes like what you want do exist. Become an EMT. I believe what you want will be covered as an EMT-Advanced.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    @Byrd- You mention to accept no substitutes but you link to amazon and the shipper is not NA Rescue............if you buy a CAT, best to buy direct from NAR, since there are so many fakes out there. CAT's are not that great when it comes to TQ's, the SOFTT-Wide from TacMed is a better option.

@TX69-if you are truly, truly wanting to learn more medical procedures then yes classes like what you want do exist. Become an EMT. I believe what you want will be covered as an EMT-Advanced.

Well Im not that motivated to actually become a EMT as I already made a career choice and path a long time ago. Honestly I just want the education so that if I ever needed it, or could use it for someone else, it's there.

Curious how much class work, time and money would it take to earn an equivalent EMT education? I wouldn't even know where to look for these classes? Community college? Most everything I learn I get from books I buy.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Yes check community collages. They do offer EMT courses.

I'd also look for any online correspondence courses since those are likely out there too.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Several online EMT schools in the DFW area. Do online for 3-6 months, the a few weeks in an emergency room. You don't have to get certified if you don't want to, you could just take the classes. But that is up to you. The other option would be to fly out and take a few DMOC classes if you are able.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    @Byrd- You mention to accept no substitutes but you link to amazon and the shipper is not NA Rescue............if you buy a CAT, best to buy direct from NAR, since there are so many fakes out there. CAT's are not that great when it comes to TQ's, the SOFTT-Wide from TacMed is a better option...

If I erred there, I'm sorry but blame it on me, not Byrd.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went through this about a year ago. Your plan is most important to determine what goods you purchase.

Do you want supplies to help heal you so you can go on to lead a long and happy life?

OR

Do you want to stop the results of violent trauma only long enough to take some of the bastards with you? Stock antiseptics, not antibiotics. If your life expectancy is only minutes or hours, there's no need for antibiotics, or rubber gloves!

I made that decision and bought trauma supplies that could be used on myself if SHTF. Jake the wonder dog would help but the fact is, that I'll probably be forced to administer first aid on myself. That's OK as I've done exactly that for my entire life on broken bones, bullet wounds and knife cuts. When you have no other options, you gut it out.

Next is the question of where to store it? I bought a 17x30 container and store it behind my rocking chair in the living room! I figure that's where I'll need it and I don't want to go looking for the supplies or to dig it out from under other stuff. It's right here about 4 feet from where I'm sitting.

The loaded firearms to defend my home are spaced around the house. The closest one is 6" from my right hand. I try to be realistic about this. When Jake alerts, I have only a few seconds to act.

Flash

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I went through this about a year ago. Your plan is most important to determine what goods you purchase.

Do you want supplies to help heal you so you can go on to lead a long and happy life?

OR

Do you want to stop the results of violent trauma only long enough to take some of the bastards with you? Stock antiseptics, not antibiotics. If your life expectancy is only minutes or hours, there's no need for antibiotics, or rubber gloves!

I made that decision and bought trauma supplies that could be used on myself if SHTF. Jake the wonder dog would help but the fact is, that I'll probably be forced to administer first aid on myself. That's OK as I've done exactly that for my entire life on broken bones, bullet wounds and knife cuts. When you have no other options, you gut it out.

Next is the question of where to store it? I bought a 17x30 container and store it behind my rocking chair in the living room! I figure that's where I'll need it and I don't want to go looking for the supplies or to dig it out from under other stuff. It's right here about 4 feet from where I'm sitting.

The loaded firearms to defend my home are spaced around the house. The closest one is 6" from my right hand. I try to be realistic about this. When Jake alerts, I have only a few seconds to act.

Flash

We are planning/prepping a first aid kit of supplies to get through a SHTF event. If society is still intact I will use the current medical system to repair and heal myself.

What I'm looking for a a reference list (or maybe even a book) that outlines in detail the necessary supplies to survive in battle. I'm not military so no experience there. However, I do have plenty of experience with the basics of how to get through some bad events on my own as it has happened to me a couple times in the past.

I would lie to see where you guys went to create your supplies meaning what list did you look at and use as a guide to build your stocks. In the other thread I received excellent responses about how to get trained (EMT classes) to use these supplies and to administer first aid.

Thanks Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been trained in first aid several times in my life. Summed up, the three prime directives in FIRST aid are "Stop the bleeding, stop the bleeding, stop the bleeding!" Sweating over a broken bone makes little sense if some SOB is going to rush your position to kill you in the next 10 minutes! That's what I concentrated on in my first aid kit: fast clot bandages, field dressings, and in general, items that are quickly and easily applied by one person. Amazon, Midway USA and many others are good sources!

Be aware, though, to do this right, you'll drop $300-$400.

When I got the end of my finger cut off in an industrial accident, the end was hanging by a thread. I had scissors so I cut the damned piece off and continued efforts to stop the blood flow. Yup, I have full sets of scissors, cutters, needles and sutures.

I got my right hand broken in a cycle accident. Got the abrasions and the bleeding stopped then used stretch bandages to wrap it up. Those are well represented in my kit.

Eye washes, alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and, OK, some antibiotic ointment. No need to get fancy with the alcohol and peroxide. Just dump it on. Vaseline helps kill the pain and mandatory sinus pills and some pain killers will help, too. How about some water to take the pills? Freeze dried food and some tiny stoves will make survival easier.

Mosquito netting will make survival more enjoyable and bug repellent would, too

How about a ballistic vest, flashlights, surplus helmet? Ear protection and gas masks are cheap protection. Ear protection? Sure! Flash bangs are designed to deafen and disorient. Get ahead of that wave!

My plan called for immediate needs only. By the time infection set in, my dead corpse would be found surrounded by a mountain of fired brass.

Flash

Last edited:

BAD17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    streetman tx
    Look here is the basics. Stop the blood. Tampons are the best for bullet holes. Used to carry in my pack all the time. Compression bandages, 4x4's, kerlex, sterile water, IV catheters tubing and ringers, is just a basic start. PM me and I will be glad to send you a list and some medical resources for you to read. But basically it's all common sense. Stop the bleeding and keep it breathing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks for the posts and content. Yes Roger the cost of all of this will be expensive. I am going to build a couple of them slowly so as to spread out the cost. For most of the hardware I have that covered.

Do you guys have any websites or links you can share to find a comprehensive list to build this off of?

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Tampons are NOT best for bullet holes. DO NOT USE TAMPONS OR PADS!!!!! This has been tested and determined to be terrible for attempting to stop bleeding. Think about what these items are for, ABSORBING BLOOD, which means no clotting.

For books, get the most recent version of Prehospital Emergency Care and the Ranger Medic Handbook. That should get you started.

One issue you will end up running into is not being able to purchase certain items unless you are a registered/certified medical provider of some sort.

Last edited:

BAD17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    streetman tx
    Big Boss you are mistaken. Tampons work great and are used in the field. When you insert a tampon in the hole yes it absorbs so does every bandage you use. 4x4's, kerlex, abdominal pads etc. therefore slowing the blood flow which then assists with clotting.

BAD17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    streetman tx
    Now there are many other things that are better to use. There have been many advances in GSW treatments. For instance quick clot but do you have it can you apply it. Also there is a big concern over causing more damage and more trauma to the area by moving parts of the projectile or shattered bone around causing more permanent damage or creating more life threatening injury to yourself. Now if I have to choose to bleed or stick a tampon I'm gonna stick a tampon. Will the tampon plug the hole perfectly? No. is it still going to bleed no. It will absorb the blood. It will slow the bleeding. Can it cause an infection? Yes. Can you die from the infection? Yes. Are there better ways to treat a GSW? Yes. The absolute best way is a compression dressing applied properly and transport to a ER and then surgery to remove the projectile. There are a lot of people in the medical field who will say never use a tampon. There are also a lot of people in the medical field who say to use them too. This is a problem that you will run into with everything in the medical field.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I'm telling you right now, that is absolutely terrible advice. Please please please do your research on this subject and talk to medical professionals with experience. Tampons are NOT used in the field, and any unit that is still using them is seriously fucked up. There is much better equipment made for this purpose. Have you ever stuffed a bullet wound? You can put a a shit ton of gauze in a wound channel before you see any effect, and even then, you still need to apply pressure! You are giving unsound advice to those who may not know better.

I am going to leave my original post and add a correction. When I say tampons are not used in the field I should state they are not widely used and are not the go-to for anyone providing aid. Sure some idiot may have one in a medkit for whatever reason, but why is anyone's guess. Maybe when med supplies were in short supply for line units, individuals could supplement ON THEIR OWN with tampons or pads. However, with what units are given now, there is zero reason to even think about carrying tampons or pads in the field. I stand by the statement that anyone that still uses them is fucked up, and their corpsman or medic needs to slap the piss out of them.

Last edited:

BAD17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    streetman tx
    Well I work in the medical field. I have treated a bunch of GSW's as well a stab wounds. I have seen a lot in my 20 years in emergency medicine. There is still a bunch of fucked up shit that is done everyday by medics everywhere. There are DR's who all have different opinions on everything from something as simple as spinal immobilization to the types of fluids you should give in different situation. They can't even agree on what CPR guidelines you should follow. I ask you have you ever put a tampon in a gun shot wound.

Top Bottom