Military Camp

First Aid / Serious Trauma / Home Last Stand ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    For what the OP is asking for, to suggest a tampon is incorrect. If you choose between bleeding, and not bleeding, you shoule have the proper medical supplies at hand to stop the bleeding. As for sticking a single tampon in a bullet hole, and it stopping the bleeding, I urge you to try if you ever get to go to a DMOC course or the like. Or hell, if you ever go hunting, give it a shot. You will see very quickly that 1 tampon does not work. More like a dozen or so depending on wound channel. They do not expand properly to fill the channel. They absorb blood and do not stop bleeding. At all.

Yes I have. Doesn't work.

I will finish with this: If you need to improvise, fine. Whatever gets the job done at the end of the day. But if you think a GSW or some other trauma is a possibility, have the proper tools for the job and the training and know-how in how to apply them. Buy the correct items, and only improvise when absolutely necessary. Don't buy tampons as a substitute for the proper tools.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I don't have or plan on using tampons unless we're in a zero choice event. I would rather learn the correct way of doing things to then make changes if we are desperate. Keeping in mind that the primary goal of building these kits and gaining some knowledge is to survive on our own in the event society and the system has fallen apart. There won't be 911, licensed physicians, or emergency rooms available to go to. Our home will be our last stand and defensive structure if we haven't bugged out.

Otherwise we have a hospital 2 miles down the road and a "Doc in a box" ER business 1 mile down the same road. I could walk there if I had to. I've had to use tourniquets before so as long as I have slowed the bleeding I'll make it to an ER. I need these kits to better prep for extremes.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Tampons are NOT best for bullet holes. DO NOT USE TAMPONS OR PADS!!!!! This has been tested and determined to be terrible for attempting to stop bleeding. Think about what these items are for, ABSORBING BLOOD, which means no clotting.

For books, get the most recent version of Prehospital Emergency Care and the Ranger Medic Handbook. That should get you started.

One issue you will end up running into is not being able to purchase certain items unless you are a registered/certified medical provider of some sort.

Wow! That's book is expensive. Prehospital Emergency Care $120 new so I am looking at used options.

ETA: nearly 1600 pages so it seems it s bit large. Found a 9th Edition for $5 so I bought it.

Last edited:

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    That should be fine. Problem is medical treatments and procedures change so rapidly that even with the previous editions, there will be things that are obsolete or just plain wrong. But it should still give you a good starting point. The Ranger Medical handbook would actually be a better bet for what you are wanting, definitely check that out and grab it if you can. If you want to pm me your email, I can send you a 2007 edition of the handbook so you can see what information it has and why I feel it is more what you are looking for. I would not recommend using it for any procedures though, as a good chunk of the info will not still be valid as already mentioned.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    If you're wounded and losing blood quickly, you may only have minutes to get the leaks plugged. Soon, you'll wooze out or shock out and there is no time to F around. Tampons? Why do that when there are dressings that are designed for quick clotting, ease of application and will stop the blood flow before you bonk out. They come at a high cost and the tendency is to cheap out and buy a box of tampons or rags instead of paying $20-$30 for a quick clot military dressing.

Let's not forget 4x4 gauze pads. I have 3-4 boxes of them in my kit.

I've been hurt pretty badly on numerous occasions but never shocked out. Your ability to keep your shxt scraped in a heap will determine if you survive long enough to take some of the bastards with you. When a man sees his own blood flowing out of multiple leaks, it messes up his thinking and he loses his ability to self medicate. You need to stop the leaks, pronto! Anger works well for me. I'm not whipped as long as my heart is still beating and my only thought is to get what got me!

"Otherwise we have a hospital 2 miles down the road and a "Doc in a box" ER business 1 mile down the same road."

My planned scenario includes no outside help or facilities. The meanies are looking to steal what you have or to eliminate you. You're on your own! There are many individuals in east Texas that plan for that exact scenario. It's pretty universal, here.

Flash

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    That should be fine. Problem is medical treatments and procedures change so rapidly that even with the previous editions, there will be things that are obsolete or just plain wrong. But it should still give you a good starting point. The Ranger Medical handbook would actually be a better bet for what you are wanting, definitely check that out and grab it if you can. If you want to pm me your email, I can send you a 2007 edition of the handbook so you can see what information it has and why I feel it is more what you are looking for. I would not recommend using it for any procedures though, as a good chunk of the info will not still be valid as already mentioned.

I do appreciate your advice and concern but I'm quite sure that the 9th edition that I found for $5 as opposed to buying the $120 10th edition will not harm me. I'm hoping that people that had read and used the 9th edition did not parish from it's content. It ill give me something to read when the world ends I guess. I have looked at the other handbook and its cost is considerably less as well as the size so it's on the list to purchase.

Top Bottom