• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    As has been stated, pick up a PSA, and play around with it. SAFELY. Figure out what works, what don't. What you want to change, what you can change, and what you have to change.

Starting with a good, yet inexpensive base will leave more coin for instruction and practice.

Then when you want to get that LMT or LWRC, or build your own high end piece and not only know why, but have the cash to do so. Hopefully.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My first AR was an Armalite, my second AR was an Armalite. I wanted a true original and paid $800 each for them. I've left them bone stock. I've played around with everything from 14.5"PW to 24" bench rifles. In my experience heavy will be more accurate, lighter more fun to shoot. I've chased accuracy while minding my budget and now I build with Aero precision uppers and lowers. I still have several PSA guns but none punch above their price point.

In my quest to shrink groups with a bench guns I gravitate to my white oak builds and I'm finally shopping for a JP barrel. When it comes to high performance, you get what you pay for. However, there's plenty of fun to be had with a basic carbine and occasionally you'll get one that shoots like a higher tier gun. If it's resale value your after then get a Colt, if your budget allows, get a 3 gun Armalite, if you just want some trigger time with the platform then get a PSA or delton and send some hot lead downrange.

Enjoy the journey.

HtownARAK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Houston
    I would second the recommendations others above and previous page have mentioned. My first AR was a bushy ORC which I ended up changing hand guard, front sight/gas block, flash hider and next thing you know I realized I just payed half of the original price to make it like I like it. I should have just built it myself. At the time I didn't know much about ARs, but I should have bought something like the Sub $500 PSA as an entry to AR rifles. I did eventually build an upper from parts from all over and I would never dream of selling my AR, My second AR was my own build as well but I did both Lower and Uppers from parts.

ARJ DEFENSE

ARJ Defense
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2024
    Rockledge,FL
    Hello everyone! I’m looking to make my first AR purchase. There’s so many competitors out there I just really can’t decide what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations from their personal experiences? Since it’s my first I want it to be “affordable” but obviously don’t want it to be crap. OR would any of y’all recommend building your first AR before purchasing one? Or is it better just to get one and learn about the parts and all that and then build one later down the line?
    Hey! We're a TGT Sponsor and would like to let you know that we offer premium AR's with parts that are CNC machined in our own facility in Rockledge, Florida. We also offer premium 7075 billet receiver sets, handguards, barrels and accessories should you choose to build one yourself. If you would like to learn more, I'll leave the listings and our website below!

ARJ MH1 AR15
    ARJ MH2 AR15
    Why choose ARJ?
    https://www.arjdefense.com

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Research and buy what you like and can afford. It doesn't take rocket science to upgrade an AR, but don't put yourself in buyers remorse because someone said that's what you should buy. Everyone's tastes are different.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Are the Colt OEM1 rifles still a thing?

It's basically a 6920 without the handguards, stock, rear sight, and trigger guard. You can customize those pieces with whatever parts you fancy.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Are the Colt OEM1 rifles still a thing?

It's basically a 6920 without the handguards, stock, rear sight, and trigger guard. You can customize those pieces with whatever parts you fancy.
    I believe they stopped offering those. They were an awesome option!

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    What caliber? Basic AR caliber?

I'd suggest going with a Wylde chambered barrel- best of both worlds

223 Wylde is a hybrid rifle chamber design that combines the best of both worlds - the ability to safely fire both .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO ammunition with improved accuracy. This innovation was pioneered by a visionary gunsmith, Bill Wylde, to address the nuanced discrepancies between these two popular calibers without compromising on performance or safety. more info

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My most accurate AR's have had 5.56 chambers. Not to say .223 wylde won't shoot well, but I've never seen any evidence that shows .223 wylde shooting better than a good 5.56 chamber

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    My most accurate AR's have had 5.56 chambers. Not to say .223 wylde won't shoot well, but I've never seen any evidence that shows .223 wylde shooting better than a good 5.56 chamber
    I agree, the chambering flexibility will surely sacrifice some accuracy. What we need to hear from OP is what the intended purpose of the black rifle is: precision or 3-gun or gophers or shtf or zombies, etc. I just wanted to offer the option up in case he is thinking ammo shortages, etc. Or maybe even go with a tight match chamber..just to muddy that water for him further. Nobody gets-off that easy here.

That's the problem when you start out- soooo many choices and options that it gets overwhelming. We all know that once the sickness takes hold, he will have 6 complete rifles/pistols/sbr's and of course, a bunch of spare parts, so might as well start building number 7....

psledoux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2015
    Hello everyone! I’m looking to make my first AR purchase. There’s so many competitors out there I just really can’t decide what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations from their personal experiences? Since it’s my first I want it to be “affordable” but obviously don’t want it to be crap. OR would any of y’all recommend building your first AR before purchasing one? Or is it better just to get one and learn about the parts and all that and then build one later down the line?
    I purchased a LaRue Predator 16" 5.56/.223 for my first one. Excellent build. I also have a Maximum Defense. I would recommend the Maximum Defense for your first AR. I would recommend the MDX-508 pistol in Arid color or the MDX-510 in Arid color ($200 tax stamp for SBR). Both options come in 5.56, 300BlackOut, and 7.62x39. I love the CBQ stock and look.

Top Bottom