• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    When I drive by at legal speed and wave, they wave back and don't stop me.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    If you have a CHL, you've agreed (given your word) to show it even if there is not a punishment for not doing so.

As far as car carry without a chl the 5th amendment is your friend.

From my understanding, as of 2-3yrs ago, Texas extended the came doctrine to include your car also. Allowing people to carry concealed in their car w/o a chl, made it pointless to make chlers have to show their license, and so got rid of that law. Where you HAD to show it before that.

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From my understanding, as of 2-3yrs ago, Texas extended the came doctrine to include your car also. Allowing people to carry concealed in their car w/o a chl, made it pointless to make chlers have to show their license, and so got rid of that law. Where you HAD to show it before that.

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

The Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with where you can carry. It made changes to the use of force laws.

You are referring to the motorist protection act. The law requiring you to display is still in 411 (h) of the Government Code.

And it was in 2007.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Not exactly. And the CHL does not provide that suspicion
    I may be making some unfair assumptions based on the details given. I'm assuming the poster wasn't under arrest. I'm also assuming the poster wasn't dumb enough to give consent, either willingly or unknowingly. I'm assuming that the gun wasn't visible (poster claims it was in his wife's purse in the floor board). And because the vehicle wasn't searched, I assume it didn't fall under any of the other three exceptions. I can only assume that after hearing the poster was a CHL holder that the officer felt it prudent to disarm the poster and check for additional weapons — :SHRUGS.

Of course, all of this is assuming the officer conducted this search legally and not an abuse of his authority to conduct a roadside trial.
    ^^^Could be naive thinking, I know.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Oh, and as far as I know, an officer may temporarily disarm a CHL holder for officer safety (sometimes disarming and frisking feel very similar).

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The requirement to show your CHL is still there, there is no penalty though if you don't show it.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    The requirement to show your CHL is still there, there is no penalty though if you don't show it.

Yep, and it should be the epitome of a "no brainer". Common courtesy to present it along with the TDL, and thoughtless, ignorant, stupidity not to ... especially if you think, by not doing so, you are somehow proving a point.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm a mid 40yo bald Asian male, dressed in long sleeve button down, driving a lightly tinted Mazda wagon

Hell yeah, damn right that if I'm a cop i'm gonna cuff your ass and frisk you. You make it out to seem that you're all innocent and clean looking but to me you look more like damn Chinese drug lord kabuki mother fucker. Probably cause....definitely.

S4ZA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    TEXAS
    They are going to know anyway as soon as they get back to their car and run your info, no?

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I had my first stop a few months ago, was speeding through the King Ranch. I told him I was carrying and he just told me I thought so, lol, must have seen my bumper stickers.... He then proceeded to give me a warning, thankfully, very nice guy. Typically the DPS in the King Ranch aren't very forgiving with the tickets.

Top Bottom