• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Only seen two snakes this year, a cottonmouth down at the pond and another unknown that slithered off the path leading to the pond. Usually by this time, I have seen many snakes down in the pasture and around the pond. Maybe fireants have something to do with it?

Take that back, I have killed two rat snakes over at my mom's, they been eating her baby chicks and eggs. I know there is about two or more there, as too many eggs and chicks are coming up a miss.

Rat snake(?) I caught at the house two years ago
    View attachment 142160

Seems this was just a common water snake, thought it was something else. I'm 6'2" btw
    View attachment 142161

Rat snake I shot at mom's house, I had cut it open to get her fake egg back, if you look, you can see a pair of chicken feet that came out
    View attachment 142162

Grass snake I caught down at the pond, daughter was playing with it
    View attachment 142163

Oh yeah, garter snake I caught couple months ago
    View attachment 142164
    That grass snake looks like a "rough green snake". There is another that is called the "smooth green snake". The smooth green snake is only about 12 to 14 inches long and is considered nearly extinct in Texas and should be protected. I have only seen one and that was at my home in Colorado County.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Had a 20" Copperhead in the kitchen the other night. I think it laid in the doorway and waited for it to be opened. I held it still while my wife cut the head off with a long butcher knife. She insisted on a long butcher knife. It kept trying to bite her with a severed head. Our workers have killed several Copperheads.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    That grass snake looks like a "rough green snake". There is another that is called the "smooth green snake". The smooth green snake is only about 12 to 14 inches long and is considered nearly extinct in Texas and should be protected. I have only seen one and that was at my home in Colorado County.

Yep, there is no such thing as a "grass snake ", but folks call anything that slithers a grass snake .

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    You indiscriminate snake killers obviously do not live on a ranch or farm!!!!!
    I welcome all feral cats and snakes to keep the rodent population in check.
    I guess urban people fear things that scare them?????????????

I only eliminate Pit Vipers that attack my dogs. Otherwise..............
    I ain't skeerd!!!!!!!!!!

bob
    All venomous snakes receive immediate attention with extreme prejudice.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    They also help keep the chicken population in check and prevent the scourge of delicious eggs for breakfast...so yeah, they've got to go.

I can confirm. Nothing like reaching into a chicken laying box at 1am and feeling smooth skin.

What really sucks is getting the glass egg when they eat it. Most didn't eat it, but now and then you had a stupid one.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I forgot all about the glass egg! Granny had one in the coop, too.

Then again, granny would just grab a snake by the tail and "pop" it like a whip. That instantly broke it's neck and helped maintained our fear and respect of Granny! I miss my Granny. She was a tough, old bird.

Things I remember about Granny:

1. She was an awesome cook and everything she made had GRAVY!
    2. She was as sweet as she could be, unless you pissed her off - lookout!
    3. She didn't shave her legs!

Top Bottom