Texas SOT

First Dove Hunt in Texas and Pulled a limit with a 28 gauge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dk250x

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Georgetown
    I grew up in Kansas, and just recently moved to Texas for a job, and continue to hold my Kansas residency. I had a chance to dove hunt this weekend at a friends place close to where 183 and I10 intersect.

In Kansas, if you love to shoot birds you hunt pheasant, duck, quail, geese and prairie chicken. Dove is usually a primer for the "real" seasons, and for me has always been terrible. In all my years of hunting in Kansas, I have probably taken less than 2 dozen dove.

My day started at Wal-Mart trying to buy a hunting license, and 55 dollars later I had a 5 day pass to hunt small game. To me this price is way high, of course I also have not had to purchase a hunting license in Kansas for quite some time (I have a lifetime).

Next it was out to his house, and out to the fields. We walked a quick section, and saw 20-30 doves. Nothing was in shooting range, and we did not take any.

For the main portion of the hunt we sat around a "tank" (we call them ponds back home). I had a Mojo, and a lawn chair and it was an absolute blast. I have never seen that many dove, or shot so many during one hunt. I was using my O/U Beretta that has a sub-gauge tube set, and decided to shoot the 28 ga. It made for an amazing time. The 28 ga caused the shooting to be a little tougher, and you had to really be on the birds, especially out past 30 yds.

The moral of the story is that I still have 4 days left on my out of state license and would love to go on another hunt. If someone has a place to go around Georgetown and wouldn't mind taking a "yankee" out to hunt I would love to get some use out of the other four days of my license.
    ARJ Defense ad

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I went to school at Kansas State, and LOVED the bird hunting...I still go prairie chicken and pheasant hunting up around Kinsley (just east of Dodge City) every year!

Man, if you were closer to San Angelo, I could show you some fun places to shoot dove and quail. We've not hunted quail in 5 years, and have been stocking this piece of land the last three years, so the quail are going to be THICK this year, and fun to hunt! We introduced pheasant on another section last year, so we still have a couple of years to go before we are hunting them...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom