Hurley's Gold

First experience shooting a Rifle: this is FUN!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I’ve only been shooting since about 2002 and only shooting on a consistent basis since April of 09. So far I’ve shot pistols and shotguns but not rifles. It’s something I’ve wanted to do, but I haven’t had any friends or relatives with rifles I’ve been able to shoot with.

Recently I’ve been talking with a guy on a gun forum about the finer points of Jericho 941 steel frame 45s. Turns out he lives in Houston as well and we arranged to meet at the local gun range to compare how our modifications affected our shooting. After showing me how effective his new recoil spring was, he told me he’d also brought his AR and I was welcome to shoot it. *insert large grin*

His AR was a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T with various modifications including an Eotech holographic sight w/5x magnifier and skeletonized trigger with very smooth and quick action. He also installed the gas piston system similar to that used in the HK 416.

We set the targets out at 100 yds…which I was a little hesitant about since I’d never shot anything beyond 25 yds. 32 rounds later this was the result:

IMG_1567.jpg

The stick-on target is 8" in diam.

Needless to say, I am now hooked…..but I will be needing more $$ and WAY more research before I even think about getting into the rifle-owner’s club….much less the AR club, but it’s defiantly something to work towards. While I’m learning, I can save so when the time and opportunity present itself I can purchase quality equipment that fits my needs and preference.

Something about many gun owners I’ve found is that they’re some of the nicest people especially on the range….they’re very open to helping people understand equipment and feel comfortable with firearms.
    Lynx Defense

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome to the "club". Just remember that experience, and share it with others. Most of us are willing to help other shooters. We need as many people on our side as possible.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Welcome to the "club". Just remember that experience, and share it with others. Most of us are willing to help other shooters. We need as many people on our side as possible.

I think that's the best side to be on.....cause the other side has bullets flying at them. ;)

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Yes, I don't understand why some people want to attack us and our rights. We have all the guns!

It's because we have guns that they attack us. Like primal behavior of other animals, the average human will go into an irrational attack when it feels threatened. Humans fear the unknown (what they do not understand) the most. The continuous perception promoted and perpetrated by the mass media of by means of the “body count” persuades people into believing that at any moment, their life could be taken by a gun-welding madman. Therefore ANYONE that owns or a gun (legally or not) is subconsciously associated with a crazy person (either a criminal psychopath or a paranoid trigger-happy survivalist)

Since It’s inception, the firearm has been seen as the great equalizer (not requiring the skill and training or strength of swords, knives or other “noble” weapons) The simple fact that any “noob” can shoot a firearm had instilled terror in the general public who once believed that only the noble elite were able to handle weapons. The firearm was a force multiplier that suddenly gave ANY individual the ability to be deadly with minimal effort.

The truth is that those who do not own have guns will always be weary of those who do….especially if those gun owners do not think like them.

- rant off -

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    looks good for a first timer, only really one flyer out of the group....

rifle shooting is addicting, you will always have that quest to make the holes touch, then it gets worse..... trying to get all of them in the SAME hole...LOL

Yea then the distance gets out farther and farther once you master one distance.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    What would your intended use for a rifle be? That's the first question to ask.

ARs are addictive.

;)

The overall purpose would be to hit a small target far away consistantly.

other than that, It would just bee for fun and improving skill. I would like to get to the point where i could consistantly hit 5" target at 200 yds...at which point i would move on to how quickly could I repeat such a shot.

....i know i've got LOTS of practice to do....

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    "Some people snort a line for it, some people jab a vane for it but all you gotta do is jump!"- Patrick Swayze in the movie Point Break
    Insert pull the trigger and it's right up there. Rifle shooting is what thrills me and gives me that tiny little smirk under my serious scowl when I'm lining up the cross hairs and taking my shooting breath. Welcome to the club with the rest of the rifle addicts. LOL!

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    practice practice practice! get ready to reload on top of it all because you wont be satisfied with factory ammo performance :). THATS where the fun is at! rolling your own knowing itll hit exactly like you like!

Top Bottom