• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Styx made a video about this and thought the same way I do in some ways. He took it further than I did and expanded it to, “well if less than one in a hundred DID have a violent response, where is your validation for this law doing what it claims to do (by disarming unhinged violent people)?

Lynx Defense

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    They cant control you if you posses a means of telling them you cant. Guns level the play field God gives us the right to defend our lives when He gives us life ,S&W gives us means to do so

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Certainly there are many people who just think that unhinged people can easily be identified before they act and disarmed to prevent tragedy. These people do not understand the reality about the implementation of attempting this and do not have in mind how dangerous it would be to attempt this on MORE THAN ONE LEVEL.

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    Guess this is how it starts? I hadn't heard of HR 5717 that several R's are pushing along with D's to grant federal money to enforce this.

https://conservative-daily.com/2018/11/06/breaking-first-gun-confiscation-killing-reported-maryland/
    i had a feeling something like this would happy. I hope his sister is happy. I am really curious of the basis for this. Seems there should be CLEAR evidence the person should not have a gun. Being a little down or pissed off about something should not bar you from your rights. Further i have no doubt many have "contingencies" for this

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I’m actually a little impressed with one mental health approach to risk that I’ve been eduacted on, which is to open up a conversation between a precariously suicidal person, a provider and the person’s support system about how to do a temporary plan to come to an agreement about how to restrict access to a firearm temporarily until the person is stable.

It’s not perfect, but if a person a truly still able to reason or be brought to reason that if they are ambivalent about living or dying (by suicide), that at that point they could be saved from a spur of the moment irreversible decision by trusting someone they love or someone they trust to restrict their access to guns for a time. It was a respectful and yet not legally binding process that seemed to respect everybody’s tough position.

I mean if someone is more of a risk to themselves or the community that outweighs the benefit of them having a gun at that moment to protect themselves and theirs.... that’s a tough position to find themselves in. I don’t think the government should get involved in that process except in the extreme circumstance where there is clear imminent danger and the person should face legal commitment.

But these less clear cut cases, the ones that you can’t predict how bad the situation is gonna get real fast... these are the things I’m trying to address and prevent as a community mental health provider, and without the government taking direct action to jump in and solve with regulation and law enforcement.

With the stigma of mental health, and the attitude of gun grabbers combined together, it’s gonna be hell to have an open and respectful conversation about this, to try to prevent these spontaneous suicides, that are no doubt quicker (with less time to back out) to act on with an impulse with a firearm. It’s not the gun ownership that is demonized, but having a firearm handly is definitely a factor that can make a suicide happen easier (doesn’t mean it won’t happen anyways, but less lethal methods give greater time and likelihood that the attempt can be thwarted).

It really is a difficult topic that I’m willing to address in mental health treatment, and it ain’t easy. However...Working with kids means I don’t come across this very often, as even in a conservative, rural area, most kids I’m treating amazingly don’t seem to have or admit having access to firearms.

Top Bottom