• ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Humbling isn't it?

If you think it won't happen, you have the wrong mindset.

It'll happen, AND every other precaution you take will save you from doing something more devastating.

So you're saying it's impossible to go through a lifetime of shooting and not have a negligent discharge? I can understand "if you think it CAN'T happen, you have the wrong mindset" but to say that every person who uses a firearm WILL have a ND....I'm sure there are plenty who don't fit that bill.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    So you're saying it's impossible to go through a lifetime of shooting and not have a negligent discharge? I can understand "if you think it CAN'T happen, you have the wrong mindset" but to say that every person who uses a firearm WILL have a ND....I'm sure there are plenty who don't fit that bill.

Agreed. I've been shooting for almost 20 years and haven't had one.

I know it can happen, but I do my best to prevent it from happening.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Glad your ok. Smart thing your pointed it in a safe direction. to get into your closet stick a flat head in the square hole and turn.

The linkage was busted from the square hole so that didn't work. I ended up taking pliers and peeling back the housing and was able to find a piece of the linkage to grab.

Glad you or no one else was hurt.

So the moral of the story is...doorknobs make good bullet stops J/K

Tell you what, I was quite amazed it stopped a 9mm so well. It was probably partly the angle I hit it, bet it started tumbling immediately and lost all that nasty balistics

Humbling isn't it?

If you think it won't happen, you have the wrong mindset.

It'll happen, AND every other precaution you take will save you from doing something more devastating.

VERY humbling. I can't say I never told myself it wouldn't happen, that's why I was usually so cautious during dry fire that if I even had to goto the bathroom in the middle of a session when I got back I would check the chamber again to make sure I wasn't crazy. I'm definitely a poster child to prove those "can never happen to me" people wrong.

well at least it was a good shot :laughing:

Must be all that dry fire practice I do :roflsmile:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad nobody got hurt!

u4u4uza8.jpg

FYI, flat blade screwdriver into the square thing there, twist it like a door knob and open sesame.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is why there is more than one safety rule. ;) Lesson learned. Takes intestinal fortitude to come on and make that admission.

You probably helped someone today.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    That is why I post my mistakes TXI, I make mistakes and if I can help just one other person not make the same ones then it was worth it (kinda like the "if it only saves one life" liberal babble :D). I'm not too big of a man to eat a big slice of humble pie when I mess things up, I gladly shove it in my face and try and better myself from it.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Glad you had a spot picked JIC that happened. Your cahones are bigger than most by admitting it on here. Good on you.

That is why there is more than one safety rule. ;) Lesson learned. Takes intestinal fortitude to come on and make that admission.

You probably helped someone today.

He did. I'm going to increase the number of times I rack the slide for chamber clearance to six times in a row now. Lol

-TXG-

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Glad you're alright. Thanks for posting about it, so others might learn.

The way I look at firearm safety and firearm manipulation is this. Think of something else unrelated that you (speaking generally) literally do exactly the same way every single time. Maybe it's some sort of daily ritual, or simply the way you get in your car and put on your seatbelt immediately, or immediately lock your doors before doing anything else. Whatever it is, there is at least 1 thing in pretty much everyone's life that they have to do just so, or they don't feel right, they don't feel like they can continue on until that one step is performed. That is what you (speaking generally) want to accomplish with safety and with manipulations. At it's essence, that's subconscious competence. It's stuff like this which has ingrained in me that literally EVERY single time I pick up any gun, have one handed to me, or whatever, I drop the mag and chamber check it. Every single time. Even if it's stayed within my sight entirely but simply changed hands between a few friends, I do the same thing, drop the mag, and chamber check. Takes all of 1 second. Some call it OCD. I call it never having an ND. That plus a solid trigger finger index makes it literally impossible for a person to ever ND. The only way they can at that point is from laziness and inattention.

The only actual ND I've ever had was downrange and on target, basically an inadvertent double with a handgun, poor grip, allowing the gun to flip too much in recoil, and a VERY short resetting trigger which the excessive muzzle flip caused to reset then fire upon me "following through" with the gun.

The other thing that helped me a lot was the fact that I've seen dozens of people nearly killed due to this sort of stuff. Enough to realize the amazing odds of so many people being so ridiculously close to losing their lives, killing their friends or loved ones, all because of a few degrees of movement and a few pounds of pressure. Kind of drives the point home that, if you're (speaking generally) going to handle a gun, treat it like a freakin GUN.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I still get nervous on the first few trigger pulls whe. I do dry fire drills so I'm double and triple checking the chamber with no ammunition in the room. It is that nervousness that keeps me safe.

Glad no one was injured and damage was minimal. Don't know that you need to go to airsoft, I'd bet you will be one of the safest gun handlers on the forum for quite some time now that you got a reminder.

Part of the reason I want to go airsoft, is my roommate will flip out on me if she ever sees me dry fire my 9mm again. She said it would happen and I didn't deny it to her, simply said I will do my best to make sure it never happens. Now shes all "TOLD YOU SO!!" Other part is like I said with airsoft I can actually do faster trigger manipulation drills like double taps for idpa and more active mag changes while still having the option of taking the co2 out and just doing normal dry fire for the flinch removal.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I usually dry fire/function check toward the masonry of my fire place. I'll have to make that a hard and fast rule.
    Thanks for the safety reminder, and my condolences to the knob. I'm glad it wasn't anything more that ended up with a bullet lodged in it.

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Thanks for sharing your story, glad you're ok. My ND was a 12guage shotgun in an apartment. I never handle a gun without checking multiple times to ensure it's unloaded. It will make you a more responsible gun owner. And like txi said, you may have saved someone today by sharing this story.

zeke4351

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    As much as you seem to play with your gun I am very surprised you haven't shot yourself or someone else by now. A gun is not a toy and the people that worry about such BS as setback are the people that are always playing with their gun every chance they get. If you can't grow up I would suggest you get rid of your gun while it is still up to you and not someone else's decision. You now see how much you have really learned from all your playing. That bullet could have been found between the eyes of one of your loved ones. I would call that setback.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    As much as you seem to play with your gun I am very surprised you haven't shot yourself or someone else by now. A gun is not a toy and the people that worry about such BS as setback are the people that are always playing with their gun every chance they get. If you can't grow up I would suggest you get rid of your gun while it is still up to you and not someone else's decision. You now see how much you have really learned from all your playing. That bullet could have been found between the eyes of one of your loved ones. I would call that setback.

Good grief!
    Glass houses, anyone?

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe

Jackass.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Remove your cranium from your anal cavity. Maybe then your brain will start getting the oxygenated blood it clearly lacks in its current situation.

Bullet setback is a legitimate concern, and while I -personally- don't worry about it (I still take steps to avoid it though, i.e not chambering the same round 30 times), I can understand why some folks do.

S'far as the OP's actions - We all make mistakes. At least he had the balls to admit what he had done and shared his experience as a warning to others. That earns him a healthy amount of respect in my book.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    My stepdad, who is a former deputy sheriff and has been a FFL, collector and reloader for over 50 years has 4 holes of different caliber sizes in the walls and ceiling of his "man room" from NDs throughout the years.

He has of course (hopefully) learned to be more cautious and leaves the holes un-patched as reminders.

My next door neighbor came knocking on my door last spring white as a sheet. He was removing his hunting rifle from the plastic sheath on his 4 wheeler when it went off firing in the direction of my house (we never found a hole).

I was on an Elk hunting trip in Colorado with several more money than brains oil and gas attorneys in 2009. We had ended the day and were all meeting back at the truck to head to the cabin. I was just climbing into the backseat of the truck when the asshole behind me hit the trigger on his (obviously uncleared) rifle. My head was about 7 inches from the muzzle. It pissed me off so bad that my first reaction was to kick the shit outta his ass and I was doing a pretty fine job of it when the other guys pulled me off of him (his pretty little rifle got beat to shit in the process). He ended up having to fly home as he was no longer welcome. Needless to say he never hunted with us again and to this day I haven't sent him a single additional contract and never will.

I have been around guns my entire life in sport and in the military and have never had a single ND. I don't plan on starting now. It's just too easy to practice safe firearm handling.

I'm not saying all this to bust your balls Rush, not at all as I value you as a member here and value your honesty. I'm just saying that any time you allow carelessness and firearms to mix there is a real potential for tragedy.

Every single firearm is loaded until you personally clear it or (verify it is clear with your own hands and eyes).

Once that gun goes off you can never bring that bullet back.

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    **** off, prick.

Top Bottom