• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Let us know how they taste. I’d like to do that hunt. Saw an episode of Meateater where they hunted them.

What are you doing with the head?
    Made a half batch of dog food with about 3 pounds of once ground trimmings.( 3 cups of rice, green beans, 2 shredded carrots and peas.) I always eat a small bowl of what we feed the pack.
    Tasted great.
    Head ( both actually) are in the compost bin turning into skulls.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Used to work for a company that had a deer lease where there were lots of Nilgai. One of our customers shot one and the camp cook cut out some steaks for us to try. Excellent meat!! Those critters are hard to hunt. They have excellent eyesight.
    That is unless they are almost a hunting lease pet. I was hunting on a lease about 15 years ago with my boss. He tells about his experience with one that would not stay away from his stand. First encounter, he was looking at some trophy whitetail bucks trying to determine which to shoot. He was looking through his scope out the right hand side of the box blind and he felt something hot on his neck. When he turned around the Nilgai cow had stuck most of her head into the opposite side of the blind. It startled both my boss and the Nilgai, when all of a sudded he spun around to be face to face. The Nilgai reared up and her head struck the top of the window frame so hard it almost dumped the blind over. She ran off only to return for round two. This time my boss was again watching a group of trophy whitetail bucks when suddenly he heard what sounded like someone tearing heavy cloth. Of course the whitetails all ran off and when he looked out the back of the blind, the Nilgai was stripping bark off an ash tree behind the blind and eating it. That evening we were all sitting around the fire ring drinking adult beverages when the Nilgai strolled by about 10 yards out, stopped and stared at us. My boss was complaining about what it had done to his hunt to the owners. One said that they wish someone would take that animal as their kill. He said she is very destructive. They had a fenced in covered area that they stored the dog food for their tracking dogs. It was kept in plastic 55gal trash cans with snap on lids. Just before we arrived at the lease they had caught the Nilgai eating the dog food. It had destroyed the enclosure and had somehow dumped over two of the drums spilling the contents on the ground. My boss asked why they didn't just shoot the animal. The owner said it would be too costly and they had several that had been hunted before and this was the last one. He had some meat left over from the last hunt and he cooked it up for us. Man....that is some goooood meat when cooked properly!!

Top Bottom