• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So, I've taken the plunge. I was going to wait till the weather was a little cooler, but...nah. So I've made two knives today that I'll be heat treating and tempering tomorrow, and then...I'm gonna test them to destruction. Since these first two pieces are only to learn to heat treat, I only forged one of them. The other I made through stock removal. I had planned to do both that way, but...well, my anvil was giving me that puppy-dog eyes look, and I just couldn't not forge something today.

So the plan is to touch up the finish and drill pin holes in the handles (in case one or both knives survive their testing, so I can finish 'em!) tomorrow, then heat treat the knives one at a time. I'll have to figure out how to regulate the temperature in my forge to within 50-100 degrees, so that's going to be an interesting process. I'm going to heat the knives up to about 1500 degrees for fifteen minutes, then quench them in oil. Once they've cooled down from that, they'll each go into the oven at 400 degrees for two hours, twice - with a cool-down in between. Afterward they'll each get a simple leather wrap on the handles for comfort while I'm doing horrible things to them like hacking at cinder blocks, chopping 2x4s, and testing if they'll bend and return to true.

If the testing is successful, then knife forging will be something of a recurring habit with me. There's a bit of gunk from the grinder sticking to the blades here - I'll be refining the finish a bit in the morning. The forged blade is on the right, the chonky stock-removal blade is on the left.

20220910_162456.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Very interested in seeing the final product.
    I watch the "Forged in Fire" show once in a while.

It was the opening scene in "Conan the Barbarian" that did it for me when I was a kid. Even though I know none of it is actual forging technique, it got me fascinated. And yeah, I love Forged in Fire. I'm going to find out if these two knives "will Keeeel..."

BTW, I've spent the last few months practicing blade shapes with letter openers. These are made of low-carbon mild steel. I've made about a dozen of them so far, sold about half.

20220905_151749.jpg PSX_20220907_002122.jpg PSX_20220907_002714.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Let me know when they go up for sale. Ill buy one

Well, the letter openers are available...but I'll bet you're talking about the good stuff. Once I'm sure of my heat treat, I'll begin working on a design I've been kicking around and they'll go up for sale on my Etsy store. I don't want to take advantage of TGT for marketing as I can't afford to be a forum sponsor, but I can PM you a link if you're interested once I show 'em off here.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Well, the letter openers are available...but I'll bet you're talking about the good stuff. Once I'm sure of my heat treat, I'll begin working on a design I've been kicking around and they'll go up for sale on my Etsy store. I don't want to take advantage of TGT for marketing as I can't afford to be a forum sponsor, but I can PM you a link if you're interested once I show 'em off here.
    Yes please do. Ill buy one. I am turning into more of a knife guy as time goes on

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Where did you get the mark that you stamped into them? Did you make that?

Oh Lord no...I found a company on Etsy that makes them. They were actually making them as leather stamps or wax seals, and I talked to their sales rep to make sure it was hardened steel and would hold up to being used for a blacksmith's touch mark. Then I asked them to make the handle part about twice as long as they usually do, because stamping hot steel can get your fingers scorched with a short stamp. I designed the logo and sent it to them. They routed it out for me and sent it to me within a couple of weeks.

CFF Small.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Not trying to be mean or a put down. Just an idea. Nobody knows or thinks of evwrything from the start.
    Hell, my knives and holsters were a process to learn too.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Nah, it's cool. Part of the issue is I don't have a proper knifemaking belt grinder - I'm making do with a Ryobi belt sander with better quality belts (Combat Abrasives). But both knives need wider bevels - they're too thick for a bevel that steep.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Nah, it's cool. Part of the issue is I don't have a proper knifemaking belt grinder - I'm making do with a Ryobi belt sander with better quality belts (Combat Abrasives). But both knives need wider bevels - they're too thick for a bevel that steep.
    Get some layout fluid and mark your bevel lines out on the blade. That will give you a target area to work towards while grinding the bevels. My first ones were done with a small angle grinder.. A 2x72 belt grinder is so much better for doing knives.

Maybe next year we can get together and I'll help you build a belt grinder.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Get some layout fluid and mark your bevel lines out on the blade. That will give you a target area to work towards while grinding the bevels. My first ones were done with a small angle grinder.. A 2x72 belt grinder is so much better for doing knives.

Maybe next year we can get together and I'll help you build a belt grinder.

That would be cool. I'm pretty envious of yours.

Top Bottom