• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    More beauty shots. The sheath still needs a little stitching on the belt loop, but it's mostly there. It's also ambidextrous- the sheath slides out of the belt hanger and can be reversed. That bit with the Ranger star is the retaining loop for it.

20221031_093909.jpg 20221031_093829.jpg

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Missed it by thaaat much.....
    At least it will be covered up most of the time.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I bought a set of stitching punches off Amazon for the stitching, btw. Three punches, one with six punch heads, one with four, one with two. All perfectly spaced for a nice, professional looking stitch. Couldn't have done this without 'em. Or, well, I could have, but it wouldn't look nearly as clean.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Nice look. That keeps it from riding too high or low. Nice balance. And a bit unique. I like.
    I have the stitching spacer and hand punch with the tiny stitching bit in it. As well as a couple stitching awls. Never did care for the type you have. The type you have do come in handy when you need holes where the plier type wont reach so you have consistant holes.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Nice look. That keeps it from riding too high or low. Nice balance. And a bit unique. I like.
    I have the stitching spacer and hand punch with the tiny stitching bit in it. As well as a couple stitching awls. Never did care for the type you have. The type you have do come in handy when you need holes where the plier type wont reach so you have consistant holes.

Yeah, I have the roller that leaves spaced dimples for a punch or awl, but I was never happy with it. Whackin' the holes in a half-dozen at a time is much more satisfying...even if it does occasionally go awry. And...I'm baffled by stitching awls. I have no idea how they work without violating the laws of physics...unless you're supposed to use two spools, one on the awl and one as the 'bobbin' thread.

Last edited:

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    So, yeah. The perils of hand-stitching. Oh well...it's done except for sealing in the dye tomorrow.
    Beautiful work, knife & leather.

Zod, what dye and sealer do you prefer using? I've got a leather project that's about ready for that stage and would appreciate your recommendations..

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Beautiful work, knife & leather.

Zod, what dye and sealer do you prefer using? I've got a leather project that's about ready for that stage and would appreciate your recommendations..

I honestly ran to Tandy and bought them - you can probably do better. The dye is Fiebing's Low VOC leather dye (and I actually bought it at Hobby Lobby because I was in a pinch and Tandy is an hour away). I had thoughts of using the dye I had on hand (which is why I didn't buy any when I was at Tandy), but it's more than 5 years old and I didn't want any surprises. The sealer is Fiebing's spray-on Leather Sheen. I haven't sealed the leather yet - I'll let you know how that goes. Supposedly you just spray it on, wipe it down when it's dry, and repeat once or twice. I hope it's that easy.

Top Bottom