• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    LOL I only get to have small work tables...Got one for hammers, tongs, and hardy tools, got one for the grinders, my drill press is sitting on a table saw, and my forge is on a cart that also has all of my scrap steel and files among other things. When I mounted that bench vise the only place to put it was on a little shelf I made out of 2x6 secured between two wall studs on a 4x4 with a 2x4 leg under it. It sits about 18" out from the wall between the table saw and the work table with the grinders.
    Texas SOT

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    LOL I only get to have small work tables...Got one for hammers, tongs, and hardy tools, got one for the grinders, my drill press is sitting on a table saw, and my forge is on a cart that also has all of my scrap steel and files among other things. When I mounted that bench vise the only place to put it was on a little shelf I made out of 2x6 secured between two wall studs on a 4x4 with a 2x4 leg under it. It sits about 18" out from the wall between the table saw and the work table with the grinders.
    I still have quite a bit of that old lumber left so I plan on building a 4'x4' outside work table as well.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I got mine from a farrier supply in Conroe, but it isnt hard to get. Its not like the stuff goes bad so you could get a bulk shipment and store it.

These guys

$19 per 50lb bag

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    This is very good to know. Thanks

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Or a brick platform for it.

Nah, I'm not going to have a coal fire going unless it's on a solid, nonflammable floor. Plus I'll need some kind of chimney and I don't want to cut holes in my storage building. And...there's the matter of having nowhere to put it in the current space...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Spent Saturday making possibly the ugliest tongs I've ever seen - modified a pair intended for holding up to 1/2" round bar and modified them to accept 1 1/2" x 1/4" knife blanks. They're not pretty but they work. They hold the steel steady while I hammer it.

Sunday I spent a majority of the day experimenting with ideas that...I don't have to tools to make work right. OK. Good to know that before I'm painted into a corner. In the afternoon, the forging began. They say a beginning bladesmith shouldn't try a Bowie knife right off the bat. Well, I'm working on a Bowie knife with a 10" blade. So far it's got a good start, but it's only in the beginning stage.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The Bowie is coming along nicely. Did a reverse curve on the blade to hammer in a slight bevel, which straightened the spine and gave it the proper clip point. It was...a lot more nerve wracking than I anticipated!

Next steps after the knife cools will be the initial profiling and surface grinding, followed by the logo touchmark.

20221008_141419.jpg 20221008_143128.jpg
    20221008_143955.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom