• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    MEH! TARP money was a loan and they paid it all back with interest, at least the big guys did.
    Yeah, and they gobbled up those that couldn't stay above water, making it that much closer to a monopoly. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but big banks were the only ones that made out, yet they were the ones in trouble.
    Venture Surplus ad

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    One could easily argue the same of modern social media platforms. The barriers to competition are obviously extremely high due to massive corporations from banking to telecom which operate using government built infrastructure working together to deplatform and defund any competition. Meanwhile they use their power to censor speech they dislike.

And it’s nearly impossible to say banking isn’t a government backed monopoly. We even paid to keep the banks from going under not too long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Banks are heavily regulated. I thought the discussion was social networks?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Banks are heavily regulated. I thought the discussion was social networks?

Social networks don’t exist in a vacuum. They exist in the same world as banks and telephone companies.

I argued against regulating them based on free market principles for a long time and have posts on this forum showing it. I felt the market could correct itself and someone would create an alternative. It didn’t work because several different monopolies worked together to prevent it. When that happens we can no longer rely on the free market.

Not too long ago I would have agreed with you an most of the points you’ve made about private companies having the right to choose who they serve, and I take that ideology to a fairly extreme degree based on the idea of the market filling in any gaps. In this case I was wrong. Too many big players are working together to make sure they is no money and no platform for any competition to exist.

Gab and SubscribeStar are two recent examples of these types of coordinated efforts.

Alex Jones is a carnival barker. But what about Mumkey , Sargon, etc. When courts rule that the president can’t block people on Twitter because it’s a public platform and necessary for people to get information, how can it be claimed it’s beyond the scope of government regulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Yeah, and they gobbled up those that couldn't stay above water, making it that much closer to a monopoly.
    Yep, appx 5,000 bank charters in the US, a monopoly for sure (sarcasm). I'm gonna guess that the number of bank charters (not branches) per capita in the US is one of the highest, if not the highest, in the world. Back in the bad old days we had way too many bank charters which contributed to excessive risk taking.

Top Bottom