Hurley's Gold

First time buyer. Springfield 1911-a1 or a glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I'm a first time buyer and I am looking for some advice on a good handgun. A guy I work with's friend is selling a Springfield 1911-a1 .45 super. I will find out what model it is tomorrow. This guys grandfather was a gunsmith and his grandson ended up with it. All I know it is a silver with back grip and he said it's about $900 new. He shot it about 6 times and he wants $450 for it.

Or I was looking at a glock .45. I am going to go and feel them out in the next few days and see what fits my hand the best. I can buy one from gt at LE cost here in austin because i'm a firefighter.

I have shot a glock and a s&w piston and 357 revolver, but I have no idea what to look for.

I want to get a good gun for shooting but I don't want to spend over $500 on one. I'm going to go to the saxet gun show next weekend here in austin.

Any other brands I should look into or any advice you can give me.

Thanks,
    Brandon

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    If guns were cars, the Glock would be a low-end Honda Civic and the 1911 would be ... a higher-end sports car.

Glocks run forever, are low maintenance, inexpensive, decidedly low-frills, acceptable but not spectacularly accurate, and not quite so loveable when it comes to operating them.

1911s are (more likely to be) temperamental, require routine maintenance beyonfcleaning, are fairly pleasurable to operate, expensive, can be made stupidly accurate (for a pistol), and the nicer ones are almost heirlooms.

Which one is best for you depends on what you're doing and how you want to treat your firearms.

Glocks are great low-maintenance "utility" guns. I have one with ~10k rounds through it that's been cleaned maybe a dozen times in two years. It still runs like a top and looks new (save for the wear on internals).

1911s are more maintenance-intensive but downright pretty with very nice aesthetics and ergonomics (on the better models). They also feel more ... permanent ... than Glocks and other polymer-framed handguns. Beware that 1911s can be picky about ammunition and magazine selection.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    If you buy a full-size Glock in .45ACP, I would suggest looking at the G21SF model (for "slim frame") unless you have large-ish hands. I say this as a former G21 owner with large-ish hands that were just large enough to grasp the G21 comfortably.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Shoot both pistols and decide which one you shoot better with and feels better after a few rounds.

Personally, Glocks don't feel right when I shoot them. I much prefer the XD. That is just a personal opinion. If that 1911 will not shoot regular .45acp, you may want to look into the price of ammo for it. That is a financial fact.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'd pay easy pay $450 for a 1911 Springfield .45acp. I'm stumped about the "super" though

I agree with the thought above about it feeding .45acp. I don't think I'd take it if it didn't.

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've had both Glock's and 1911's and I'll say right up front I prefer 1911's over Glocks and that is just my preference others may vary.

Glock
    The Glock is an excellent weapons platform; it's cheap to own and shoot, requires minimal maintenance and will take a lot of punishment. The stock magazines carries more rounds than a 1911, 10-19 depending on the caliber.

Most people who complain about Glocks will say that it has a long trigger pull and reset (meaning that when you first pull the double safety trigger you're engaging a safety then the trigger > pull some more and then it goes "bang", release the trigger and the reverse happens, this takes getting used to. Secondly the feel of the Glock when you hold it and point it down range takes some getting used to, it's not quite point of aim...the only way I can describe this is to take a Glock (check to ensure its empty, check it again) raise it to fire and pull the trigger. Next take a 1911 (any 1911, check to ensure its empty, check it again) raise it to fire and pull the trigger, you'll see what I mean. Finally up until the Glock SF model someone with smallish hands "me" had problems getting their mitts around the grip.

The 1911
    A good basic 1911 will run you $450 to $600, it won't have a lot of frills, but like the Glock it is a tried and true weapons platform. You will notice that when shooting, when you pull the trigger there is virtually no trigger pull and reset", it goes bang at your command. the feel and angle of the 1911 will be like a natural extension of your hand and when you raise to fire it's pointing at the place your arm is pointing. It also has a very large group of aftermarket reseller to allow you to tweak your 1911. Owning a 1911 can be like owning a good old car, it runs well, but what if I added a hemi or maybe wider tires, or .....

Most people who complain about the 1911 platform voice concerns over; dependability, safety, and low (as opposed the the Glock) round count in the magazines.

Dependability of any weapons platform is critical, your life depends upon it. It's counter intuitive, but the more expensive the 1911 the more your going to hear this complaint "from new owners". Just like the car manufacture recommends that you drive their model so many miles a 1911 manufacture recommend you fire so many rounds from their 1911 (typically this is between 250 to 500 rounds). This is because you have tighter tolerances in a, what is called a race gun than the original mil-spec 1911. The mil-spec 1911 was built as a combat handgun and has been tested in two world wars and many "un-declared" ones. It does require some break-in, it'll rattle when you shake it, but it will fire true and take any punishment eked out to it.

Safety, the 1911 is carried "locked and cocked", meaning a round in the chamber and the hammer in the full cocked position", to the novice this scares the bagibbies out of them, but the 1911 has 3 safeties; One is the cocking safety on the left rear of the body of the weapon (when it is engaged the hammer is blocked from falling. The next is the hand grip safety, (it must be gripped in order to pull the trigger and fire the weapon). The third is not on the weapon itself, but is between your ears aka your brain. The Glock has no such safeties.

Number of rounds in the 1911 versus the Glock magazines, the 1911 carries 7 + 1, 7 in the mag 1 in the chamber(standard mil-spec 1911). To some this can be a real sticking point, but when seen through the actual statistical models it tends to lose it's superior numeriacl position. "Most actual encounters where a handgun is involve are; in low light, distances from 3 to 21 feet, and involve 1 to 3 shots fired." The 19 rounders give you a "feel good" factor, but as one old soldier once put it, "If you're in a fight where you need more than 8 rounds you should be using them to fight your way to your rifle."

Finally
    I have found a Glock that I'm really jonesing for though, check out the latest edition of "American Handgunner" magazine and the article on Robars' Alloy Extreme .40 cal Glock. The cost $1449.00 not including the Glock .40, then again I'm also wanting a Baer 1911 at around $3000. It's an addiction I know, but haven't found any support groups yet that like to shoot.

It all comes down to buy what's best for you, what you feel right with and what shoots well for you, others opinion's count, but in the end they're opinions based on their results and research and as always "Results may vary." :patriot:

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Iwent and looked at some Turus MILLENNIUM PRO .45's today and some 1911's. I liked the feel of both of them.

Who here has the Turus .45 and how do you like them? I found them for $310

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    The Millennium's are good pistol's but you will need to keep it clean.I have the PT140 and it will jam if I do not clean the ramp every 60 round's.Also got to be careful not to break the slide release spring when putting your gun back together.I got one for my dad for Xmas.I am thinking about getting the ramp polished and the barrel throated as the gun is picky with ammo that is not FMJ.

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    I think the merits and pitfalls of each has been addressed well here. I would say that ultimatly it should be which feels right to you. See if you cant rent one on each of the platforms you have mentioned and see which feels right. I know Reds rents guns and they probably have one of each to rent. This way you know and want pay 400 + to find out you dont like it.
    I own both a 1911 and a glock 19. I love my 1911, but if someone said grab your gun the zombies are coming, I cant lie it would be the glock. I am hoping my future Commander size 1911 will change this.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That sounds like a darn good deal on that Springfield. While I myself would seriously consider it, if you are new to handguns there is something else you should consider too. Glocks are reliable as hell. They work out of the box and they just work period. As with anything, they aren't 100% perfect but, they are about as close as it gets function and reliability wise. 1911's, more often than not I would say (take my words with a grain of course) are likely going to need some work. Don't get me wrong, 1911's are great guns and I love them, however they can be pretty darn finicky sometimes, and sometimes even the $2-4k+ custom ones still won't even function new out of the box. All I'm saying is just be aware of that going into it. The price is certainly right, and Springfield is a decent manufacturer of 1911's, just don't be surprised if it needs a little work here and there.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    Good article Midnightrider. I'll ditto your advice. You might want to publish a piece like that. I think there's a publication out there somewhere that will pay for that kind of expertise. I shoot and tote 1911's but bought my daughter a new Glock 23 .40 for Christmas. In other words, I trust Glock performance.

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    "Thanks, for the info guys. The 1911 I am looking at seems to be a custom model and is really nice. I plan on getting that one."

Dont forget the range report.

Top Bottom