• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Hello all,

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here. Been reading a lot other posts. I decided it was time to really get going on the reloading. I have been putting it off for a while because of a family issue. This will be my first time reloading and I believe I have all the parts I need so far. I have been reading "The ABC's of reloading" like someone suggested. A lot of good information and learned a couple of things.

The only thing now is finding the primers, powder, and bullets. At the moment I'm okay with 9mm but need .223 , 308 and 6.5.

Below is what I was thinking of trying to find.

55gam
    Varget , TAC , A2460 - powder

CCI small rifle primers BR-4

Now my question is would that be good to start out with? I'm reloading for plinking only for now.
    Guns International

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Hello all,

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here. Been reading a lot other posts. I decided it was time to really get going on the reloading. I have been putting it off for a while because of a family issue. This will be my first time reloading and I believe I have all the parts I need so far. I have been reading "The ABC's of reloading" like someone suggested. A lot of good information and learned a couple of things.

The only thing now is finding the primers, powder, and bullets. At the moment I'm okay with 9mm but need .223 , 308 and 6.5.

Below is what I was thinking of trying to find.

55gam
    Varget , TAC , A2460 - powder

CCI small rifle primers BR-4

Now my question is would that be good to start out with? I'm reloading for plinking only for now.
    In todays world buy whatever you can get. Don't spend time searching for any specific powders or primers just get anything that works for caliber.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you for the advice... that's what I'm scared of buying the wrong powder for my rifle.

I know if I see a smaller primer for a handgun I will buy it. For the rifle, I'm still new so just buy a small rifle primer as well right?

The large primers are for 308 and 6.5 right

Lonesome Dove

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Powder is designed for calibers. Most powders will work for several different calibers. Your loading manuals will list several loadings for various calibers and bullet weights.

Large rifle for 22-250 on up.
    Small rifle for 223/5.56 and smaller.
    NOTE. There are 308 and 6.5 creedmoor brass that use small rifle primers for competitive shooting. These are usually a higher end brass. I'm sure there are others. I never got caught up in the trend.

kmcn762

That guy with the milsurps
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2021
    Pflugerville
    Bullets are fairly easy to find still. I usually buy online for those since there is no extra hazmat fee for shipping.

Primers, yea buy whatever you find. I wouldn't pay over $100 a brick of 1000 or so.

For powder just have a list of ones you could use like you listed. So whenever you see something that works you can grab it.

For general rifle powders I like IMR 4064, 4895, BL-C(2), H335, CFE223, etc. So if I see any of those I usually buy some, hopefully under $40/lb these days.

> Now my question is would that be good to start out with? I'm reloading for plinking only for now.
    Yep, 55gr (grains not grams, don't mix those up haha) FMJ is a perfectly fine plinking load. My rifles tend to like 62gr FMJ a little bit better.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    @kmcn762 Thank you for the help. I just got myself a little notepad to take with me when I head out to the gun stores.
    My wife tonight bought me a book while she was out. " Modern Reloading" Second edition from Richard Lee.

I notice there are a lot of different powders for 223 and different bullets.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    @kmcn762 Thank you for the help. I just got myself a little notepad to take with me when I head out to the gun stores.
    My wife tonight bought me a book while she was out. " Modern Reloading" Second edition from Richard Lee.

I notice there are a lot of different powders for 223 and different bullets.
    Yessir, there are a lot of powders and bullets for the 223. To get started plinking, grab some inexpensive 55's and a powder that works with that weight and go from there. Try to not get caught up in the hub-bub of all the powder's specs and wha't most accurate. For now, just learn the safe practices of reloading and make some ammo. Go shoot it. Repeat.

Good luck.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In todays world buy whatever you can get. Don't spend time searching for any specific powders or primers just get anything that works for caliber.
    ^^^^This!^^^^

Even if not a particular powder that you can use,if the price is right, i'd buy it, because you could use it to trade for a powder that you can use.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Powder is designed for calibers. Most powders will work for several different calibers. Your loading manuals will list several loadings for various calibers and bullet weights.

Large rifle for 22-250 on up.
    Small rifle for 223/5.56 and smaller.
    NOTE. There are 308 and 6.5 creedmoor brass that use small rifle primers for competitive shooting. These are usually a higher end brass. I'm sure there are others. I never got caught up in the trend.
    Not true, but some brass manufacturers do make small primer pockets where most make large primer pockets.
    For your 22-250 and up statement isn't 100%. 6.5gren and 6.8spc use srp. At least the 1's I have do. As far as case capacity goes the 2 you mentioned can have either (not both) and usually use lrp.

Lonesome Dove

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Not true, but some brass manufacturers do make small primer pockets where most make large primer pockets.
    For your 22-250 and up statement isn't 100%. 6.5gren and 6.8spc use srp. At least the 1's I have do. As far as case capacity goes the 2 you mentioned can have either (not both) and usually use lrp.
    It true enough. I'll leave it right there. Thanks.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    One caution I would make - in the unlikely event that you run across any Remington 6-1/2 small rifle primers, DO NOT BUY THEM for your .223. They aren't intended for the chamber pressure of modern cartridges like the .223. About the only (even fairly) commonly encountered cartridge that would use them is the .22 Hornet, which operates at a significantly lower chamber pressure. Guaranteed that you will experience significant problems with them in .223 - ruptured primers, gas leaks, etc.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you for the help. My buddy just gave me some CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primers #450. Since the primer 400 are hard to find the 450 will work fine. I did my research and he is correct. Now I need to find a good powder for this. I was thinking of getting CFE 223 , Varget, or H4198 if I could find them in the store.

maybe they might be cheaper online or something.

What do you think about the primer and powder?

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Thank you for the help. My buddy just gave me some CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primers #450. Since the primer 400 are hard to find the 450 will work fine. I did my research and he is correct. Now I need to find a good powder for this. I was thinking of getting CFE 223 , Varget, or H4198 if I could find them in the store.

maybe they might be cheaper online or something.

What do you think about the primer and powder?
    You might find some Tac or X-terminator. Varget is almost non-existent!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I use CCI 41 for my Ar15 reloads. Relatively easy to find. When I first started reloading I read that you should use these for Ar15 to prevent slam fire. Don’t know if they really are needed but bought a bunch cheap and still have them. Have seen lots of them on sale.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    I will have to look into those CCI 41. I just saw them but they were for 556, and a little more expensive than 450 ones.

@TEXAS "All or nothing" I did look in my book "modern reloading" second edition and did see X-terminator..

Since I FMJ bullet I look under the "55 Grain Jacketed Bullet" I guess starting is 21.2 and max 23.5.

Would you know if that's the correct bullet section that I'm reading based on the bullets I bought?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I will have to look into those CCI 41. I just saw them but they were for 556, and a little more expensive than 450 ones.

@TEXAS "All or nothing" I did look in my book "modern reloading" second edition and did see X-terminator..

Since I FMJ bullet I look under the "55 Grain Jacketed Bullet" I guess starting is 21.2 and max 23.5.

Would you know if that's the correct bullet section that I'm reading based on the bullets I bought?
    CCI 41 for AR15. I don't know what you are shooting the 223 in but if an AR15 than CCI 41 are fine. Yes they cost more but seem to be available.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    H335 is a great powder for 223. I have a load that’s shoots 3/8” groups.

BR primers aren’t required unless you have the light springs in your AR.

Top Bottom