• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    @jc79 Thank you very much for explaining the different brass. Well, I finally finished all 100+ brass taking out the primers and finding some that I didn't like.

Now here come the questions. I started to measure the brass and notice a lot of different readings.

starting from 1743 to 1763. I know that 223 should be no more 1760. What is the smallest the brass can be?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    @jc79 Thank you very much for explaining the different brass. Well, I finally finished all 100+ brass taking out the primers and finding some that I didn't like.

Now here come the questions. I started to measure the brass and notice a lot of different readings.

starting from 1743 to 1763. I know that 223 should be no more 1760. What is the smallest the brass can be?
    Resize and use a case gage. Easy.

jc79

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    San Antonio

Like Rotor said, simply resize and use a case gauge. Anything over 1.760 should be trimmed back to 1.750.
    Don't worry about cases that measure a little shorter.
    Cases with loose primer pockets and split necks are the main things to watch out for and throw away.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    I thought I had everything but the gauge I got is the wrong one. Don't know why since it's 223. Here are pictures that case gauge. I might have bought the wrong one or something.

18.jpg
    19.JPG

20.JPG
    21.JPG

That goes to show a newbie buying reloading parts lol... Now I have find one before I could move forward.

jc79

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    San Antonio
    I thought I had everything but the gauge I got is the wrong one. Don't know why since it's 223. Here are pictures that case gauge. I might have bought the wrong one or something.

View attachment 327846 View attachment 327847

View attachment 327848 View attachment 327849

That goes to show a newbie buying reloading parts lol... Now I have find one before I could move forward.
    Oops! Yeah, that's for 223 and 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum. Very different beast from 223 Rem.

Did they perhaps send you the wrong case gage?

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    You should have a reloading manual from Hornaday, Speer, Lyman,> Those give you all the case dimensions and SAAMI drawings. NOW you have to pay attention to what you are loading. READ the manuals. just looking to reload "223" will get you in trouble. If you are looking to reload .223 Remington or 5.56 Remington those are way different than .223 Winchester Magnum. You can not just go about this without reading yuor MANUALS> You will blow your gun up and maybe hurt yourself.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    NOW you have to pay attention to what you are loading. READ the manuals. just looking to reload "223" will get you in trouble. If you are looking to reload .223 Remington or 5.56 Remington those are way different than .223 Winchester Magnum. You will blow your gun up and maybe hurt yourself.

Books don't agree with each other and there is no 5.56 Remington I have ever heard of. Maybe you are referring to 5.56X45 NATO? Never heard of .223 Winchester Magnum either but I'm guessing you meant .223 WSSM...

I don't like case gauges. I use the chamber or calipers. Barbaric I know but I don't shoot the tools, just the guns.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Books don't agree with each other and there is no 5.56 Remington I have ever heard of. Maybe you are referring to 5.56X45 NATO? Never heard of .223 Winchester Magnum either but I'm guessing you meant .223 WSSM...

I don't like case gauges. I use the chamber or calipers. Barbaric I know but I don't shoot the tools, just the guns.
    You make my point (one should not write such stuff after having been up since 3:00 am and driving since 4:00 am). Anyhow 5.56 x 45mm , AKA (officially) 5.56 x 45mm NATO, - different pressures and minor case dimensions that .223 Remington. There are many different "common" names for cartridges and often incorrectly. Thanks for catching my error.

Top Bottom