• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few years back, a big Marlin tore much of the line off one of my "big offshore rigs", a Penn VSV 70. I stripped the damaged line off & went by the local Academy in Brownsville to get my line replaced. As those 80# lines are pretty expensive, I asked to watch the reel being re-loaded. It was immediately apparent that the young man doing the loading had ZERO idea as to how to do it. I said "Let me help you", and took over. He seemed relieved, so I inquired about his knowledge of those things. He said that he had been hired and told to "Just go do it", with no instruction or guidance. I showed him the two or three ways I knew to attach the line to the reel spool, and he thanked me sincerely. While we were loading the big reel, he mentioned that he had been given the same intro to advising firearms buyers. Please take care about these things. leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Exactly what is a person to expect from a chain store that hired a pimply-faced kid at minimum wage to know?

If you walk into most chain stores, and know the correct end of the gun to hold, you are probably way ahead of the kid behind the counter!

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    When I go shopping, I always hope to get a guy as knowledgeable as this one:

Store clerks lilke him sadly are a thing of the past or so it seems with these youngsters today who know so little.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A few years back, a big Marlin tore much of the line off one of my "big offshore rigs", a Penn VSV 70. I stripped the damaged line off & went by the local Academy in Brownsville to get my line replaced. As those 80# lines are pretty expensive, I asked to watch the reel being re-loaded. It was immediately apparent that the young man doing the loading had ZERO idea as to how to do it. I said "Let me help you", and took over. He seemed relieved, so I inquired about his knowledge of those things. He said that he had been hired and told to "Just go do it", with no instruction or guidance. I showed him the two or three ways I knew to attach the line to the reel spool, and he thanked me sincerely. While we were loading the big reel, he mentioned that he had been given the same intro to advising firearms buyers. Please take care about these things. leVieux
    I just love me some academy.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I always fall back on the time I asked to see a Taurus 1911 at Academy. The very fat old man behind the raised counter leaned over and opined, "Yeah them Tarussess, thems some fine guns. We don't hardly ever get one of them come back." I looked up and just behind his head on the wall was this huge banner that read "ALL GUN SALES FINAL NO RETURNS"
    I returned the pistol and said "No sir, I'll bet you don't."

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I always fall back on the time I asked to see a Taurus 1911 at Academy. The very fat old man behind the raised counter leaned over and opined, "Yeah them Tarussess, thems some fine guns. We don't hardly ever get one of them come back." I looked up and just behind his head on the wall was this huge banner that read "ALL GUN SALES FINAL NO RETURNS"
    I returned the pistol and said "No sir, I'll bet you don't."
    Hmmmmm Academy.

Top Bottom