• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I and my buddy are looking to go fishing in deep waters somewhere near Corpus. I was hoping one of you fellas he3r would have some recommendation on a good boat captain/charter. Just looking for a few names of people you have gone out with or someone to avoid. We both have been out in the Atlantic, Gulf or Alaska and Cook Inlet and other places, he more than me So we kinda know our way around. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    DK Firearms

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    @EZ-E may know a guy or two; I’ve only fished party boats out of Corpus and Galveston.

The Gulf is fairly shallow on the Texas banks, so it can take a while to get to deep water, but oil rigs can make up for that.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thnks looking for a bit more personal than party boats. Like 4 to 6 much easier.

I get it, in Destin we had a go-to Captain for a group that size, but it was worth it as the 100 fathom line was just a few miles off shore.

A guy I know who owns a hotel in Port A solely recommends Doug Stanford at Pirates of the Bay to his guests based on feedback.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I get it, in Destin we had a go-to Captain for a group that size, but it was worth it as the 100 fathom line was just a few miles off shore.

A guy I know who owns a hotel in Port A solely recommends Doug Stanford at Pirates of the Bay to his guests based on feedback.
    What is the hotel? We will need a place to base camp out of.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What is the hotel? We will need a place to base camp out of.

Amelia’s Landing. Jay Honek and his wife own it and have been an independent both here and with their previous hotel from the beginning.

They rebuilt it entirely after Harvey, which took much of a season, had a good year+, and then got hit with 2020.

They’re convenient to everything in Port A.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Amelia’s Landing. Jay Honek and his wife own it and have been an independent both here and with their previous hotel from the beginning.

They rebuilt it entirely after Harvey, which took much of a season, had a good year+, and then got hit with 2020.

They’re convenient to everything in Port A.
    This Place?

upload_2020-8-2_22-10-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-2_22-10-11.png
      upload_2020-8-2_22-10-11.png
      253.7 KB · Views: 763

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

Was it Burkett in Destin? I haven't been on a boat with him in thirty years. I know, it's pretty unlikely that it would be one random guy, but he's my cousin though.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Was it Burkett in Destin? I haven't been on a boat with him in thirty years. I know, it's pretty unlikely that it would be one random guy, but he's my cousin though.

I couldn’t tell you the name anymore, I was stationed there from 96-01 and haven’t been back on a fishing trip since 2004.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I couldn’t tell you the name anymore, I was stationed there from 96-01 and haven’t been back on a fishing trip since 2004.
    My brother was stationed there not too long after. I doubt he remembers any names either (except for the relatives... at least I hope he remembers the relatives).

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I dont know too many offshore captains in general. Most my fishing is inshore bay fishing. I have 2 buddies that are captains down south that guide inshore bay trips. They've been guiding for decades, they might have some recommendations. Give Captain Dean Thomas a call with Slow Ride guide service in Port Aransas or Captain Fil Spencer with Fishman's guide service in Corpus. Tell them EZ-E reccomended you call them for a recommendation for a offshore charter.

https://www.slowrideguide.com/

https://fishmansguideservice.com/

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I dont know too many offshore captains in general. Most my fishing is inshore bay fishing. I have 2 buddies that are captains down south that guide inshore bay trips. They've been guiding for decades, they might have some recommendations. Give Captain Dean Thomas a call with Slow Ride guide service in Port Aransas or Captain Fil Spencer with Fishman's guide service in Corpus. Tell them EZ-E reccomended you call them for a recommendation for a offshore charter.

https://www.slowrideguide.com/

https://fishmansguideservice.com/
    Thanks will do

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I and my buddy are looking to go fishing in deep waters somewhere near Corpus. I was hoping one of you fellas he3r would have some recommendation on a good boat captain/charter. Just looking for a few names of people you have gone out with or someone to avoid. We both have been out in the Atlantic, Gulf or Alaska and Cook Inlet and other places, he more than me So we kinda know our way around. Any recommendations are appreciated.

See: https://www.facebook.com/Slam-Dunks-Outdoors-105322957834766/

This service is owned & run by James Dunks & Wife Melinda.

James' Dad is Jimmy Dunks, game biologist and longtime Texas D.U. head.

James & Melinda are both retired TPW Officers; James was Chief @ Laredo-Webb county and Brownsville offices. He is a Sul Ross Game Biology Alum and very dedicated outdoorsman.
    James uses the latest ShallowSport equipment, designed by a local Naval Architect for both deep & shallow water fishing.

He lives @ Laguna Vista across from SPI, and boats are based @ Port Mansfield.

When I lived in Brownsville, James was a Friend & Advisor, he ran my boat one day for tuna.

James is the most dedicated outdoorsman I know; lives and breathes this stuff. "Can't go wrong with him!"

leVieux

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    See: https://www.facebook.com/Slam-Dunks-Outdoors-105322957834766/

This service is owned & run by James Dunks & Wife Melinda.

James' Dad is Jimmy Dunks, game biologist and longtime Texas D.U. head.

James & Melinda are both retired TPW Officers; James was Chief @ Laredo-Webb county and Brownsville offices. He is a Sul Ross Game Biology Alum and very dedicated outdoorsman.
    James uses the latest ShallowSport equipment, designed by a local Naval Architect for both deep & shallow water fishing.

He lives @ Laguna Vista across from SPI, and boats are based @ Port Mansfield.

When I lived in Brownsville, James was a Friend & Advisor, he ran my boat one day for tuna.

James is the most dedicated outdoorsman I know; lives and breathes this stuff. "Can't go wrong with him!"

leVieux
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we went last week. Had a great time! Actually opted for Port Mansfield as teh fishing charters were a lot less expensive and ewe could go for Snapper. Caught limits of Snapper and Kingfish, plus a nice redfish the second day.

Top Bottom