• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krenekg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    memorial
    Just moved in to houston area and trying to get use to all the traffic and high occupancy everywhere i go. I realize galveston and a few other surf spots are near for coast fishing but is there any good fresh water fishing near here?

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    Sure there is, if you know where to go. It depends on what you want to catch as well. Lake Houston and Livingston are good for crappie, white bass, and catfish. There's a healthy population of striped bass in Livingston as well. For large mouth bass, the best bet is lake conroe.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Get a few buddies together and charter an off shore trip. They are awesome and you will wear your arms out bringing in the fish.

If you decide on that route, try this trick. Stop by a grocery store and buy a couple of cases of the cheapest beer you can. While out in the gulf, the captain of the fishing boat will probably back up to some of the shrimpers. They sleep during the day and the fish congregate near them, so you can find good fishing behind those boats. If you see a guy come on deck, show the beer. Each time we do this we end up with a onion sack of fresh shrimp for the beer. Hell of a deal.

Fresh water, also try the Trinity River for Crappie.

jamisjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Pearland
    If you're up for saltwater I'm always looking for fishing partners. I've got a boat and gear. Only real snag is my schedule....I'm off Tuesday-Wednesday most weeks.

Can't be prone to getting seasick and willing to share expenses.

P8070031.jpg

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    If you're up for saltwater I'm always looking for fishing partners. I've got a boat and gear. Only real snag is my schedule....I'm off Tuesday-Wednesday most weeks.

Can't be prone to getting seasick and willing to share expenses.

P8070031.jpg

galveston? how much($) gas do you usually burn through for a half a day at sea? could use a new fishing buddy :D

jamisjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Pearland
    Usually go out of Surfside and spend most of the day out. Generally go through about $200 in gas total and maybe another $60 ish in bait and ice.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I live just down the road from lake conroe, I would like to start fishing again.
    Does anyone know any places that I could get to without a boat that won't cost $? What kind of fish is in lake conroe, I will have to get a new pole and tackle setup.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You might also check out 610 AM. They have "The Outdoors Show" from 4-6am Thursday and Friday morning, and 4-7 Saturday and Sunday morning that focuses heavily on fishing this time of year. It's a live local show and you call in with your questions. They really like to answer the type of question you have from new folks, so you most likely get on the air and some good discussion. 713-572-4610
    Outdoor Show « CBS Houston

Free Podcasts from past shows are available if you want to get a feel for the show on that link.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I haven't been on Conroe in years but so I don't know about access but it's good for bass, crappie and gar bowfishing.

xboxundone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Freshwater is a little tough unless you go up to conroe or livingston. But plenty of fun to be had saltwater fishing. As other says could get some buddies together and do a charter. I will warn you the cheap charters where you pay 30-60 per person and have about 30-50 people on it usually aren't that good, I have been on a few but mainly caught salt cats and the occasional red.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Since I no longer live there I'll spill this, but the bass and catfish are excellent at Huntsville state park. It's 65 miles north of down town Houston. It's nestled in some beautiful pine trees.

Also you can fish the trinity river system, although you've pretty much missed the white bass this year. But there are some monster gar in there...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Community fishing is offered at the following. Most are stocked by TSW with channel catfish and during the colder months with trout some bass make it in there as well:

Local Fishing Regulations

HarrisAddicksHarris County Park within Addicks Reservoir1
    HarrisBane Park LakeNorthwest Harris Co. off NW Hwy. 2903
    HarrisBurke-Crenshaw LakeIntersection of Burke & Crenshaw Rds. in Pasadena10
    HarrisBurroughs Park PondOff Huffsmith Rd. near Tomball7
    HarrisChallenger 7 PondChallenger 7 Memorial Park in Webster off FM5286
    HarrisCullen Barker Park Pond #1Harrris County Precint 3 Park7
    HarrisCullen Barker Park Pond #2Harrris County Precint 3 Park1
    HarrisCullen Barker Park Pond #3Harrris County Precint 3 Park1
    HarrisCypress Creek YMCA Pond19915 SH 2495
    HarrisEisenhower Park PondSouth side of Lake Houston off Lake Houston Pkwy.4
    HarrisHamilton State School PondIn Peckham Park, Katy6
    HarrisHerman Brown Park PondIn East Houston at the end of Mercury Drive1.50
    HarrisLake Houston State Park PondLake Houston State Park3
    HarrisLeague Of Women Voters ParkIn Baytown1
    HarrisMary Jo Peckham ParkLocated at 5597 Gardenia Lane in Katy, Texas5
    HarrisMcGovern LakeIn Houston's Hermann Park6
    HarrisMeyer Park PondOn Cypresswood Dr. just west of Stuebner-Airline3
    HarrisNassauIn Nassau Bay City Park, off Pt. Lookout Dr.33
    HarrisSheldonSheldon WMA and State Park1,229.81
    HarrisSheldon Prairie PondSheldon State Park3
    HarrisSheldon State Park Children's #1Sheldon WMA and State Park1
    HarrisSheldon State Park Children's #2Sheldon WMA and State Park1
    HarrisSheldon State Park Children's #6Sheldon State Park1
    HarrisTaylor Lakes Village Park Pond0.50
    HarrisTheiss Attaway Nature Center PondIn Tomball1
    HarrisTom Bass IS. Houston, off Fellows Rd Tom Bass Reg. Rec Cntr1
    HarrisTom Bass IIIS. Houston, on Cullen, Tom Bass Reg. Rec Cntr15

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Since I no longer live there I'll spill this, but the bass and catfish are excellent at Huntsville state park. It's 65 miles north of down town Houston. It's nestled in some beautiful pine trees.
    How big is the lake? Can you fish from a kayak? Are electric trolling motors allowed? Does it get crowded?

Top Bottom