• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    Since everyone else has hijacked and made this post about folders I will continue on as well. Currently I carry a Benchmad mini griptillian with black blade and od green handle. Before that I would switch between a Kershaw whirlwind and leek. Lost both of those knives while tubing the Guadlupe river.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So I thought I'd bump this. How does everyone feel about a fixed blade for EDC? Any thoughts on pros and cons? I can think of a few for both, but I was curious of other's views.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Pros, you dont have any extra movement, you just yank and shank. No moving parts, so nothing will fail in that department.

The only con I see is trying to conceal one, but they're flat enough so it's not that hard.

Geronimo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    NE Texas
    So I thought I'd bump this. How does everyone feel about a fixed blade for EDC? Any thoughts on pros and cons? I can think of a few for both, but I was curious of other's views.
    With fixed blades, they need to be concealed and they need to have a good sheath. I use a Buck 102 (I think that's the number) as EDC. I would much prefer to use a Gerber Guardian (the short version), but it is a dagger and thus can't be carried in this state. It does have a great sheath design, though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If I can ever find one (since they're discontinued), I was kind of liking the idea of carrying a Cold Steel Kobun Tanto (5.5" blade I believe, so still legal). I can't think of a single reason I'd honestly need one, just that it might be a cool option to have.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    I carry an anza made from an 8 inch file that has been annealed to keep it from being brittle one of the best knives i have ever owned and with a saddle shop i use several knives. they make several good every day carry knives. the length on mine is 4.5 over all and is fixed.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If I can ever find one (since they're discontinued), I was kind of liking the idea of carrying a Cold Steel Kobun Tanto (5.5" blade I believe, so still legal). I can't think of a single reason I'd honestly need one, just that it might be a cool option to have.

Not a fixed blade, but my EDC is a Cold Steel Tanto folder.....

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I carry a CRKT Summa for everyday carry, I never carry fixed blade unless I am in a tactical enviornment. No real ryme or reason, it's just a personal pref I guess.

//Edit//
    My Fixed blade is a SOG Field Pup that I use in my tactical load out.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I carry a CRKT Summa for everyday carry, I never carry fixed blade unless I am in a tactical enviornment. No real ryme or reason, it's just a personal pref I guess.

//Edit//
    My Fixed blade is a SOG Field Pup that I use in my tactical load out.

I believe the Summa is a locking blade folder which makes it illegal to carry in the city of San Antonio.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I rotate between several fixed blades, but I also always have a folder one me as well. The folder is the "throw away knife", it gets beat up, dropped, thrown (don't ask), lost, found, etc. The fixed blades see much less use, I try to keep them as sharp as possible and reserve them.

This picture has all 4 of my rotation, but I usually only carry the folder and one fixed blade.
    DSCF0723.jpg

Kershaw Leek (left, folder)
    Kershaw Antelope Hunter II (middle, fixed)
    KABAR TDI small (mid-right, fixed)
    Cold Steel Brave Heart (right, fixed)

I've got a few others, but they do not get carried due to length, operation, or just lack of practicality.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That no folding knife rule in SA is older than me and doesn't get enforced as I hear it. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure (99.9%) it doesn't.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks for pointing that out, do you have any suggestions on legal EDC folders?

Lock blades UNDER 5.5" are against city ordinance. Blades OVER 5.5" are against state law. The city ordinance was designed to target gang bangers. I'm not about to put my CHL at risk because an LEO is having a bad hair day. I carry a fixed blade in SA. Call me over-cautious, but that's just me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Lock blades UNDER 5.5" are against city ordinance. Blades OVER 5.5" are against state law. The city ordinance was designed to target gang bangers. I'm not about to put my CHL at risk because an LEO is having a bad hair day. I carry a fixed blade in SA. Call me over-cautious, but that's just me.

Is this what you actually meant to say or am I reading it wrong?

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I spoke with my CHL instructor, who also is SAPD, this weekend and had him take a look at my knife. While he agreed that it was infact "too big" to carry in city limits and otherwise illegal, he assured me that most cops would not give me a hassle so long as its's out of sight. Take that how you will and make your own choices though, I can only speak for myself and my intent so be smart out there folks!

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I spoke with my CHL instructor, who also is SAPD, this weekend and had him take a look at my knife. While he agreed that it was infact "too big" to carry in city limits and otherwise illegal, he assured me that most cops would not give me a hassle so long as its's out of sight. Take that how you will and make your own choices though, I can only speak for myself and my intent so be smart out there folks!

It's the "most cops" not giving you a hassle part that gets me. Given my appearance (biker) I get profiled as a bad guy right off the bat. How sad San Antonio considers a safety device (locking blade) to be bad.
    I'll just continue to carry a 5" fixed blade if going to San Antonio.

Top Bottom