• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yes, that's why I didn't mention a law. Either way, HOAs can be the devil and I would never live where one exists.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yes, that's why I didn't mention a law. Either way, HOAs can be the devil and I would never live where one exists.

I think they called it a law in the article, or maybe they didn't. I had just woke up when I read is sooooo......

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I read the article and this might be one of the few times I think speed bumps in the road might be a good idea. A neighborhood of 174 homes on just 1 street is going to have people driving too fast, no matter what speed limit signs go up or "Kids At Play" signs are posted.

Man, I can't believe I've finally found a situation where I think "sleeping policemen" might actually be a good idea. I must still be half-asleep.

DarkGreenMarine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Groesbeck, TX
    I grew up in South Florida and always played in the street. Hell, my brother and I were practically forced to stay outside until the sun came down. "Boy, get your ass outside and play" still resonates in my head....those were the days.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I hate dishonesty.
    "I think it's ridiculous kids should be able to play in their neighborhood."
    This is not about playing outside. It is about one specific location. The street. Streets are for cars and other vehicles. Not kids playing.

"They are taking away the fun to be honest. We just want to go outside and play. I don't know why that's such a crime," Nico argues.
    Nothing you just said is a crime, Nico. Just stay out of the street.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was played outside as a kid, but was taught NOT to play in the street.

That said, I think having an HOA rule is kinda overboard cause we did ride out bikes on the street and respect that cars had the right of way. Not sure how they define "play" in their rules.

As shorts said though, I will NEVER live in a place that has an HOA because I prefer to have as much freedom with my property as possible and will accept that my neighbors have the same.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I was at my aunt's house in Orlando, neighborhood is about 2 mins from seaworld.
    Anywho, they told me a story that I couldn't believe.3 Kids were fishing at a lake in that neighborhood and a lady from HOA came by yelling and screaming that fishing there is not allowed. Went as far as getting out of the car and chasing them off saying its a private lake and you have to live on the lake to use it.Kids went to my aunt's and asked if it was ok to fish the lake on there property and one of the older teenagers even had a fishing license.They said ofcourse that's no problem, but the HOA lady drove around the lake carrying on about how there not allowed to do this, and started taking pictures of the kids and even yelled at my uncle who was out size.

When I was little I used to ride my bike to just about any lake in the area to fish.And was never ran off by anyone.I mean if the kids are staying out of trouble and just hanging out throwing a hook why bother them...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I think the biggest blank yall have talking about FL is how different a world it is from Texas. Don't think of it as the environments & attitudes you know. It is very different.

We live in a S.FL gated community w/ HOA. It is interesting to say the least. I'm not an HOA fan but for our purposes it is non-invasive on our lifestyle. I certainly will not ever own a home in an HOA community. But it keeps the trash at bay if I can be so blunt. For the waterways here, fishing is prohibited in common areas but allowed from private yards. Boating/swimming is prohibited altogether. Our streets are 25mph with speed humps all throughout. Folks still tear through here at 50mph. I'd say the biggest offenders are teenagers acting likes asses, but that isn't true. Adults are worse. Our streets have bicycle lanes painted on the shoulders, in fact most of our city streets are.

As for the type of people who live in S.FL HOA/gated communities, you'd be surprised. In fact Matefrio, money has nothing to do with the behavior we see out of the kids or adults who live in his subdivision. Honestly the demographics and housing market here in FL still throw us for a loop.

Over in Lakewood Ranch, the west coast of FL is a real retirement haven. HOAs and housing communities market and sell a lifestyle. Those selling to retirees tout the quiet, no stress life. If restricting loud kids, noise and generally the things retirees try to get away from is favored those communities will keep doing well. If residents don't want that anymore they are free to voice concerns at the meetings. If they still don't like it, they are free to leave.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the biggest blank yall have talking about FL is how different a world it is from Texas. Don't think of it as the environments & attitudes you know. It is very different.

We live in a S.FL gated community w/ HOA. It is interesting to say the least. I'm not an HOA fan but for our purposes it is non-invasive on our lifestyle. I certainly will not ever own a home in an HOA community. But it keeps the trash at bay if I can be so blunt. For the waterways here, fishing is prohibited in common areas but allowed from private yards. Boating/swimming is prohibited altogether. Our streets are 25mph with speed humps all throughout. Folks still tear through here at 50mph. I'd say the biggest offenders are teenagers acting likes asses, but that isn't true. Adults are worse. Our streets have bicycle lanes painted on the shoulders, in fact most of our city streets are.

As for the type of people who live in S.FL HOA/gated communities, you'd be surprised. In fact Matefrio, money has nothing to do with the behavior we see out of the kids or adults who live in his subdivision. Honestly the demographics and housing market here in FL still throw us for a loop.

Over in Lakewood Ranch, the west coast of FL is a real retirement haven. HOAs and housing communities market and sell a lifestyle. Those selling to retirees tout the quiet, no stress life. If restricting loud kids, noise and generally the things retirees try to get away from is favored those communities will keep doing well. If residents don't want that anymore they are free to voice concerns at the meetings. If they still don't like it, they are free to leave.

You location says Texas, but you live in S Florida?

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I'm in Central FL now, 11 days and counting before the move to TX. FL has its perks as a vacation/getaway spot but this is not where I want to start a family.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    This aint too far from where we moved to Texas from, my old employer did a lot of work down in Lakewood Ranch. That area is definitely geared towards retirement. Lakewood ranch is nice homes and golf courses, with a side of 1000yard rifle range thrown in just northeast of it :asniper:

Either way I actually thought dicking around in the road was illegal by state statute anyways. No one is stopping them from playing in the front yard, parents would do good to keep their tricycle motors and hoodlums out of the road anyways.

I'm in Central FL now, 11 days and counting before the move to TX. FL has its perks as a vacation/getaway spot but this is not where I want to start a family.

I feel exactly opposite but I guess it's because I didn't really move to Texas, I moved to Mexico.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    For those that didn't read or chose to ignore this line in the article ....

The neighborhood of Miramar is a family community that used to be filled with the sound of children playing outside, but the street has been silenced after a rule passed banning kids from playing in the street.

Top Bottom