Hurley's Gold

Flat towing a Jeep in 4 low and 1st gear. What could happen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Agree that they are overpriced and apparently it’s what the market will bear. I just bought my very first new to me 2016 Willys soft top and man, am I loving it. Looks and runs like new, between trading in my 2008 Ram pickup and it being 4 years old I got it for a decent price. I turn 60 this year and I guess it’s really more of a present to myself than anything. Also we do a lot of RVing and needed something to tow behind our Motorhome. So it serves multiple purposes. I work from home and probably only drive 50 miles or less per week so I don’t need a roomy large vehicle. But weekends with the top down and my beautiful bride of 25 years beside me. Well let’s just say I’m in heaven.

Be sure to put it in 4-Low and 1st gear when you tow it.:rolleyes:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    1st gear is 4.71
    4-Lo is 2.72
    Rear axle is 4.10 or 3.45

So 44.19 - 52.52 Engines revs for each tire turn. I am surprised the engine could keep up before the tires dragged.

Flat towing is just a bad idea for any driven axle. You really have to know what you are doing and how shit works. I have full floaters on my CJ so I can just disconnect the 4 hubs. But even then there is wear and tear on bearings and stuff, trailer always if possible.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Agree that they are overpriced and apparently it’s what the market will bear. I just bought my very first new to me 2016 Willys soft top and man, am I loving it. Looks and runs like new, between trading in my 2008 Ram pickup and it being 4 years old I got it for a decent price. I turn 60 this year and I guess it’s really more of a present to myself than anything. Also we do a lot of RVing and needed something to tow behind our Motorhome. So it serves multiple purposes. I work from home and probably only drive 50 miles or less per week so I don’t need a roomy large vehicle. But weekends with the top down and my beautiful bride of 25 years beside me. Well let’s just say I’m in heaven.

Willy’s hasnt had anything to do with J(ust) E(veryone)E(lse’s) P(art’s) in over 50 plus yrs IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Rapid explosive spontaneous disassembly.

The pic is looking up from under the jeep.

View attachment 248423

At 55mph the engine rpm was over 55 thousand revolutions per minute. The transfer case exploded, the crank came apart in multiple pieces. Over 30 grand in parts.

Oh, it was a new jeep too. Less than 10 thousand miles on the clock.

I think it's safe to say he voided the warranty.

Who knew??

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Willy’s hasnt had anything to do with J(ust) E(veryone)E(lse’s) P(art’s) in over 50 plus yrs IIRC.

Yea... Jeep brought out the "Willys" model a few years back.. It's really a JK Sport with a Willys trim package.. Pretty letters on the hood that says Willys... a few other upgrades... But it's cool... Tank Green and I put a tan soft top on it. Best part is.. IT'S MINE and I love it....

IMG_4092.jpeg

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Yea... Jeep brought out the "Willys" model a few years back.. It's really a JK Sport with a Willys trim package.. Pretty letters on the hood that says Willys... a few other upgrades... But it's cool... Tank Green and I put a tan soft top on it. Best part is.. IT'S MINE and I love it....

View attachment 248603

This I did not know.
    Cool

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rapid explosive spontaneous disassembly.

The pic is looking up from under the jeep.

View attachment 248423

At 55mph the engine rpm was over 55 thousand revolutions per minute. The transfer case exploded, the crank came apart in multiple pieces. Over 30 grand in parts.

Oh, it was a new jeep too. Less than 10 thousand miles on the clock.

I think it's safe to say he voided the warranty.

If all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ! The Jeep manual tells specifically not to do this !
    leVieux

Dumpnpump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    I bought a 18 grand cherokee ltd to flat tow behind the motor home. After doing the research on towing and modifications to get the brakes to work I just rented an auto hauler lots simpler. An older jeep with manual locking hubs might be a different story.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    My dad bought a 2015 Cherokee 4x4 that he flat tows behind his motor home. He spent some money for a brake unit, but it works well for him.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Luckily insurance pays for stupidity. This will probably be covered.

These stories always remind me of the good sense that our laws have. Anyone can buy the biggest rv available, hook the biggest rv trailer behind it, and legally do 75mph down the highway but if I hook a 10k rated trailer to my truck I need a commercial driver's license.
    What was the gcw? It would have to be almost 30k

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Luckily insurance pays for stupidity. This will probably be covered.

These stories always remind me of the good sense that our laws have. Anyone can buy the biggest rv available, hook the biggest rv trailer behind it, and legally do 75mph down the highway but if I hook a 10k rated trailer to my truck I need a commercial driver's license.

I had to get a TX Class A for my truck/rv combo so that's not entirely correct. In TX anything with a combined GVWR over 26,000# requires a Class A. Now that's not a CDL, it's a non-CDL class A. So I'm not sure what you're referring too. With the larger fifth wheels and a dually it's not hard to get to 26,000# GVWR.

Top Bottom