• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Walked into my first hobby shop in years to look around today. Noticed a quad-copter and picked it up to read the stuff on the box. The sales guy came over and we started talking about it, he actually had a display model in the store and showed me how to fly it right there in the shop. I remember matefrio posting a thread on these things last year or so, but did not realize that they had gotten so easy to fly and cheap.

The one I am looking at uses a I-phone, I-pad, or a few of the other pads as a controller, no need to buy a typical remote control box. Uses WiFi to communicate between controller and machine.

It has a 720p high def camera in the nose and takes video as you fly, and you see what it sees on the pad, kinda like a cockpit view.

Runs about 15 minutes on a charge.

Has the capability with the add on flight recorder for you to pre-plan routes it uses GPS to fly.

Takes off and lands on it's own with a press of a button. (with the GPS you can program it to return 'home')

Comes with foam nerf type protectors so you can fly it inside and not break stuff.

Easy to fix the parts if you do break them.

Demonstrated by the fact that I had never flown a helicopter before, extremely user friendly.

Best part, it is only $300.

AR.Drone 2.0. Parrot new wi-fi quadricopter - AR.Drone.com - HD Camera - Parrot

Christmas coming up for those with kids.
    Capitol Armory ad

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Runs about 15 minutes on a charge.

Now that I've watched the video, it's kinda cool. How loud was it?

Wonder if I can fly into the woods to watch deer, fox, etc.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Uses WiFi to communicate between controller and machine.
    Does it function as it's own access point, or do both the quadcopter and the tablet need to connect to a network? I want something similar to this for some birds eye exploring, but there aint no wifi routers where I go.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Flew my first drone today.

You're a covert operator? I thought you were a gigolo. :cool:

It has an auto hover feature so I am looking at making some 'sales' videos without having pay a video camera operator. :rolleyes:

It's pretty quiet, probably quiet enough for most people to not notice if you have a little attitude on it but not for an animal. The range is limited by the WiFi distance, so you might not get far from your stand, maybe only a few hundred feet due to trees etc. But if you wanted to fly it over the fence to harass the neighbors dog, or look in their back door you would be good to go.

This is the place I saw it out on the west side of town. Remote Control Hobbies | Houston, TX

They had some more, bigger, better, etc. Even had one with a stabilized gimbal to mount a GoPro camera on. This one had the most features, easiest to fly and cheapest for what you get.

Does it function as it's own access point, or do both the quadcopter and the tablet need to connect to a network? I want something similar to this for some birds eye exploring, but there aint no wifi routers where I go.

It is it's own access point. No need to have WiFi in the area.

This link may help you understand if it can do what you want. http://ardrone2.parrot.com/apps/flight-recorder/

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Does it have solid weight to it? I have one but its mostly Styrofoam so if it gets too windy out, the thing is hard to stabilize or fly smoothly.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Now you can spy on Americans and eliminate them at will with anonymity. j/k

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The range is limited by the WiFi distance, so you might not get far from your stand, maybe only a few hundred feet due to trees etc. But if you wanted to fly it over the fence to harass the neighbors dog, or look in their back door you would be good to go.

That can be fixed. A U.fl to RP-SMA lead (Amazon.com: 20cm U.fl/IPEX to RP-SMA Pigtail for Mini PCIe Wifi: Computers & Accessories) and a high gain antenna (Amazon.com: Alfa Weatherproof 2.4GHz 24dBi High Performance Die Cast Reflector Grid Wireless LAN Antenna - For 802.11b,g,N Wireless Wi-Fi: Electronics) should give any laptop a half mile or more range (that antenna will need an adapter SMA Male to SMA-RP Female Adapter: Amazon.com: Electronics). Sure you could get a cheaper antenna with less gain (Amazon.com: Bolo Brands N Wireless 18dbi 2.4GHz Wifi High Gain Antenna 18 dB 2.4 GHz Wifi Antenna Booster with Mount Kit: Electronics) but why?

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    fly that thing over my back yard.
    I'll be sure to be weed eating naked, that'll do ya

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The picture shown has the "indoor" body on it. The "outdoor" body does not protect the rotors, but is much lighter. The video it records is really stunningly good. There is a "Flight recorder" which is a GPS and memory for the video that can be installed. With the GPS it can be commanded to go to a specific location and height via a path that you specify. Without the GPS you fly it at your own risk. It can manage to hold a position fairly well on its own, and is self stabilized.
    I am on my second one. The first one got out of range and flew into some power wires on the way down. They are still pretty darn cool!

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/apps/flight-recorder/

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Does it have solid weight to it? I have one but its mostly Styrofoam so if it gets too windy out, the thing is hard to stabilize or fly smoothly.

No it is not heavy. Not real sturdy, but sturdy enough for what it does. Replacement rotors, gears, arms, motors, computer boards, etc. are easy to get and repair it yourself. The outdoor cover is just light foam that I think is held on with magnets. I think high winds will give it hell. Some of that can be mitigated by the GPS thing. Hopefully IXLR8 will confirm most of this.

Don't know about all the hot spot boosting as I don't understand how it will boost the transmission of the signal back from the copter. But others are a lot more versed than I on that.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I wanna take mine to a nice large building like a gym or shop and let it stretch its legs. I took it outside, but too many trees and fences.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    what would you say is the max wind conditions to fly outside?

The planes I flew used to get pushed around good in 12 mph winds, it had to be really calm, usually under 8 or so for a good flight

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It has two cameras on it, one forward, one downward. The downward is used to help the drone hold position based the camera view. It has ultrasonic sensors on the bottom that help it keep a steady height, but they only work to about 10 feet depending on the acoustic reflectivity of the ground. There is also a barometric altitude sensor but it is not as accurate. Inside it has about the same position sensors as an iphone, magnetometer for direction, accelerometers, and and electronic gyro.
    It is pretty durable. I have hit bushes, tree's and walls. Usually there is not any damage. Do not get it too close to the ceiling because it will suck itself against it. I have replaced the gears under the rotors a few times when tangling with trees. Spare parts are cheap and abundant.

Let it hover in front of you with your hands off of the controls and give it a push with your hand. You will be surprised how well it can handle being upset like that.
    Be careful when flying above houses, the wind is usually stronger and unpredictable. When it is 10 feet or less off of the ground it can fight the wind pretty well on its own. There is an auto-takeoff, and auto land. An Emergency button will terminate flight operations immediately.

Specifications
    http://ardrone2.parrot.com/ardrone-2/specifications/

The drone is not IP addressable, it creates a connection directly with the control device (not included). I use an iPhone, tilt the phone and it goes that direction. It works with iPads, and Android phones as well. There are two controls onscreen, rotate and height. It can also do a flip.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The drone is not IP addressable, it creates a connection directly with the control device (not included). I use an iPhone, tilt the phone and it goes that direction. It works with iPads, and Android phones as well. There are two controls onscreen, rotate and height. It can also do a flip.

If it uses wifi that an ifone can talk to, it is IP addressable.

Top Bottom