• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There's a news article posted in that forum about a CHL holder who intervened in an armed robbery of a fastfood store, killing the robber and getting wounded himself.

Let's say that the CHL holder is you, and you could safely exit without becoming actively involved. Would you intervene as he did, or would you exit and dial 9-1-1?

I am not 100% certain, but, with my father/husband responsibilities and self-preservation in mind, I think I'd choose the latter.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    There's a news article posted in that forum about a CHL holder who intervened in an armed robbery of a fastfood store, killing the robber and getting wounded himself.

Let's say that the CHL holder is you, and you could safely exit without becoming actively involved. Would you intervene as he did, or would you exit and dial 9-1-1?

I am not 100% certain, but, with my father/husband responsibilities and self-preservation in mind, I think I'd choose the latter.

If intervening would only stop the robbery....I would probably do as you indicated...exit and dial 911. But if I thought the store employee was in immediate danger and would have to try and help. Sadly all this is just speculation and no one can 100% say what they would do in this situation. Being a Viet Nam vet and pulling the trigger on bad guys before...makes me pretty certain what I would do....but again only being in the moment would tell the tale.

Okie556

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It depends on whether I or someone else is in immediate grave danger.

For the guy to end up with multiple gunshots, and them to have gotten into a gun fight, the good guy probably was either, 1) not ready to actually follow through and thought him pulling a gun would save the day like in the movies, or 2) didn't prepare and consider everything he needed to prior to addressing the now dead bad guy. I'd want to make sure I cold take some kind of cover and make sure I drew fire away from others.

But before I drew, I'd make sure I was 100% certain that I was ready and justified to pull the trigger.

It's a lot to consider in what was probably just seconds.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    too many variables.....
    how many people in fast food joint? in line with fire?
    was robber on his way out?
    did robber show intent of hurting people?
    did robber have a bigger gun? etc.......
    I would play it safe and call 911

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends. If I'm pressed, I'll wind up in a toe-to-toe fight. If his attention is elsewhere than on me and I can get a clean shot, I'll be shooting first and last.

Back in CA, where I couldn't carry at all (legally), take-over robberies of restaurants were the hot item for a while. I actually did have plans on how I'd take someone with a handgun down with my Kershaw or Trident.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    May be a dumb question, but would it be legal to shoot an armed robber (say in this situation) in the back???

PC S9.33.
    DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in
    using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
    (I) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes
    them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in
    using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force
    or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the
    third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately
    necessary to protect the third person.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ever been in a gun fight?

The whole idea of shooting someone in the back is to avoid a gun fight, isn't it?

No, and I hope not to. But if I am, I'm fighting to win.

ETA: Why do I plan on acting if I'm ever in a situation like that? Because I honestly believe it's everybody's duty to do so. It's everybody's duty to resist criminals. If more people resisted violently with everything they had, there'd be a lot less crime.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    The last thing you want to do is shoot someone...after the dust settles, the nasty stuff begins..

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    This is a tough question I've gone over sooo many times in my head. The truth as so many stated is I really don't know.

I have noticed here vs a few other places (forums) I've been to is here people seem to be a bit more realistic about this or other scenarios, the I don't know or I would consider ... (here) vs I'll gun em all down for every scenario presented (other firums).

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have noticed here vs a few other places (forums) I've been to is here people seem to be a bit more realistic about this or other scenarios, the I don't know or I would consider ... (here) vs I'll gun em all down for every scenario presented (other firums).

Which is why I asked one member if he'd ever been in a gunfight. The irrefutable truth is that if you have never been in such a dire situation, you cannot accurately predict how you will react. All the rest is just braggadocio.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    CHL holders are citizens. As such they have no DUTY to act. Policemen have a DUTY to do something. If the all around safest thing is to wait, or flee and call for professional help that is doing something since your actions may be the cause of another's injury.
    Unless I truly believe in my soul that me or someone involved is going to die, I vote for flee. Otherwise the loss is money and money is not worth deadly force.

Top Bottom