• deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Definition of fair market value.

Probable price at which a willing buyer will buy from a willing seller when (1) both are unrelated, (2) know the relevant facts, (3) neither is under any compulsion to buy or sell.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Keep in mind that an appraisal simply determines what the lender will allow you to borrow.

The actual value of a home is determined by the buyer and seller. It could be more or less than the appraisal.
    Sure, but offering over an asking price? Sounds like something people who are one missing pay check from defaulting on all their bills do.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep. Cash buyers that see a "deal" compared to where they were from don't care.

Yep. The idiotthat relocated here from Minnesota and lost his mind when the neighbors were burning the brush piles last month are a case in point.

Same floor plan as ours, 1 year older; they offered 18% over what our house sold for. Granted, they’ve got a slightly larger lot and a basic rectangular pool, and without some of the upgrades we did that can’t be done later, but it didn’t make the appraisal and that didn’t matter one bit because they were only putting a mortgage on half the cost; the rest was cash.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    As far as offers over asking...note that there’s a selling tactic of purposely coming to market with a low price. The reasoning is, it’ll attract buyers and spark a bidding war.

My mentor is doing this with a house he’s renovated in Plano.

Buyers will know the home is underpriced, so it’s more like an blind-auction sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Housing is weird. I think people see it as an investment, but unless you're doing what pronstar is, it's actually a liability.

Make hay, man... I think HGTV has made people lose their minds.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Is that the only reason you think it's a liability? Or are there others? I'm just trying to understand your thinking.

An asset puts money in your pocket...it makes you money while you own it.

A liability takes money out of your pocket...it costs you money while you own it.

In basic accounting, anything in an asset column is balanced by a liability on someone else’s column. It can’t be an asset (or a liability) to both parties.
    (Mickey this is the extent of my accounting knowledge LOL)

A house that’s financed is a bank asset. They’re making interest on it.

A house that’s financed is your liability because it takes money out of your pocket the entire time you own it. You pay:
    Interest
    Maintenance and repairs
    Utilities
    Principle payments
    Insurance

A $300k house, financed at 30 years and 3% interest, costs you $155k in interest.

That interest is the banks profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    So, even though I paid cash for the house, it's a liability, because there are maintenance and utility costs?

That should be an asset - its appreciating (usually) while you own it - yes you're paying upkeep and taxes, but you're not continuing to pay a mortgage and interest

Top Bottom