• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Hi all, new here, but not new to guns or handguns. I have been reading a lot about CHL which I hope to take class soon--a little harder living in the big town of Leakey. Anyhow in my seaching on the internet I came across an article on leagallyarmed.com that is saying that as a military vet I could get a Florida CHL by just applying and some paperwork and of course some money and could legally carry in Texas. Am I reading this right? Wouldn't change my mind on taking the Texas CHL class but may be an alternative to consider. Really just courious more than any thing.

John
    Hurley's Gold

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    That is the way i understand it and i am about to go that route myself. Your military service is enough for flordia to issue a non-resident permit on.

Edit: and last time i looked it was $114 total.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    Acceptable Training Documentation (FL CHL)

1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate because it cannot be returned.
    2. A copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
    3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
      • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
      • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
      • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
      • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
      • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card; discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
      • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
      • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    Good point. I've got a TX CHL, but took the Florida CHL class to familiarize myself with FL law. The TX class is much more in depth, BTW, and Florida does not have things like 30.06 and 51 locations so I'd suggest if you are going to carry in Texas you take the Texas CHL class.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I was actually more courious about how legal this would be-or actually how it could be legal? I guess Florida thinks since a vet has had training (who knows how long ago) they still remember all they were taught. I'm not knocking this, cuz I still remember all I was taught and don't have a problem with the Florida program. Yes I am still taking the Texas CHL class.

John

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There is legislation being considered that would not allow out-of-state permits for Texas residents. I don't know its status though...there's a thread on it here somewhere...

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    One of the members here done exactly what your looking at doing. I think it was retiredarmysgt.
    And yea, Lon Burnam entered a greedy bill that would not allow nonresident permits to Texans.
    Be sure to call him at (512) 463-0740 and ask him how his bill will benefit Texans and in what manner will it " Have A View To Prevent Crime"...

Top Bottom