• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This thing looks pretty sweet. I might have to pick one up this summer. MSRP is $649, but you can find them for $500.

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fn-509/

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/fn-509-845737008086

FN_509_Pistol04.jpg

Guns International

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the main complaint against it is the look, which I actually like. I don't want a boring ass looking gun like a Glock. (sorry Glock fanboys, had to say it :p) It's nice, but at the same time I'm not going to loose any sleep over a little holster wear.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Hickok45 just posted his review. He was a fan of the FNS, so I figured he would like the 509. Held one at Lone Star Defense & Arms here in Houston yesterday. Trigger is awesome! The FNS needed breaking in for the trigger to clean up, but the 509 feels great out of the box. Overall it just feels solid and looks great. I am a big FN fan, but just have too many polymer pistols already. The 509 would need to replace either my P320c or M2.0 and I don't see that happening. It just does not offer anything that what I have already does not do. So, my FNX45 and FNS9c will remain my only FN handguns in the collection.

Last edited:

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    The FNS is one of the most underrated pistols there is. Considering they can usually be found at or below $350, and come with 3 mags and night sights, it is also one of the best bargains there is. I am sure the 509 will be a good pistol as well.

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    Not a big fan of striker fired pistols; I have the FNP-45 two tone - one of the better poly/steel guns I've ever shot - with the proven Sig-Sauer arrangement of controls. The FN-509 with similar to Sig-Sauer controls reminds me, in profile (hammerless), of something that would be from the S&W M&P Semi-auto family tree.

It probably is a good shooter; most of the FNP Herstal (FN USA) are.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I love FN rifles. I have a PS90 and SCAR 16S, and previously owned two other PS90s.

However, after this thread, I would not buy an FN handgun: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24700-So-I-broke-my-FNS-9L

Granted, the thread is 24 pages, but worth reading in its entirety...

There seems to be an issue on the FNS series on what the lifespan of the gun is, and the maintenance schedule (which FN won't release). And, they denied a warranty repair because the guy didn't follow a schedule of having the gun checked every 2k rounds. That is ridiculous.

As someone on that thread said:
    I realize this is not an actual maintenance schedule, but the FNS manual does say the gun should be checked by FN or a gunsmith every 2,000 rounds. Yeah, I know. That's what it says, though.

Don't do that, and they can deny a warranty claim it seems. I don't know if this new Fn pistol is treated the same as the FNS series, but this is just pure ridiculous...

Another comment on the thread:

As I read that manual, with its horrible grammar and lack of punctuation, your pistol needs to be inspected by a certified armorer every 2,000 rounds OR every year. It does not say "whichever comes first." The BS about how your pistol is such a finely tuned machine that your neanderthal mind can't possibly comprehend the complexity, leading to its certain destruction if you do more than field strip pisses me off so badly that I would NEVER buy any FN product, EVER. Sure, you're not a certified armorer, and I'm sure it's more complex than a GLOCK, but, sure as a bear shits in the woods, I wouldn't own a pistol that I have to ship off to the mothership ON MY DIME every couple of weeks/months.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Well, I picked up a 509 and must say it is a great shooter. Very soft and flat recoil. I also got in on the 3 free mags promotion FN is doing right now. It only took about a 10 days to get my mags once I submitted the promotion info. Not bad compared to the two S&W rebates (Shield $75 and Nations Finest $50) I have been waiting on for months!

Top Bottom