• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    5.7x28 is often derisively referred to as ".223 short," and the comparison isn't all that far off - both use similar 0.224" diameter projectiles.

The more-effective SS190 round is curiously not for sale to civilians because it is considered "armor piercing" (funny that ordinary large-bore revolver rounds capable of doing a number on body armor are not restricted).

5.7x28 would be more affordable if the dies were readily available and you could load your own for far less than the $0.50/rd that FN sells the ammo for.
    Capitol Armory ad

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What is even more interesting and sad about the SS190 round is that it is "armor piercing" but when fired at a gelatin mold, Dr Roberts screwed his aim and hit the aluminum mold. The SS190 round did not penatrate the ALUMINUM, just stuck in it.

From the accounts of professionals shooting people with the 5.7x28 in both the pistol and P90, I would rather stab someone with a knife than trust my life to that system. The 5.7 pistol and P90 are being dropped like a fat chick after a drunken night by everyone that matters. Don't waste your money.

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    I own one. I don't consider it overly expensive to shoot. $20 for a box of 50 rounds. With a 20 round magazine you actually get bored before you empty the magazine. Recoil is mild. Accuracy is quite good. Gun is light. Only problem is it looks and feels like a toy. I bought it when I bought my PS90.
    I know there is a lot of debate about it but I don't think the 5.7 round is a whole lot worse than a .223 for defense. Humans don't have a hard shell and generally not a lot of tissue to penetrate. The 5.7 is what it is. The round was designed for close range targets without a lot of collateral damage past that. At close range it will take care of what ails you. Personally I prefer a 10mm in a pistol and a .308 in a rifle. My 5.7 will drop a coyote dead in its tracks. I haven't shot anything bigger but if something bigger and legal steps out in front of me I will try and drop it. Only at close range...... 338 Lapua for those long shots.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Actually - I own one AND a PS90. I love the PS90 - as it is really an awesome gun. But, I got the Five Seven last summer. It is a nice weapon.

And, much of what is discussed about the gun and round is just repeated stuff that comes up on all the gun forums. Generally - 5.7 threads on the various gun forums break down into insults... And, they just go downhill from there. I've seen it dozens of times - especially at The Firing Line and Glocktalk. It's the same guys who go and troll up the threads too.

While no round is perfect, and there are pros and cons for the 5.7 round. The round isn't as weak as some would have you believe. I have seen numerous "tests" done by members of different gun forums, and the results have been impressive.

I especially like the 197 round - as it fragments and makes a decent sized hole. There have been a few bullet tests done by members at the Fn Forum recently - and they show very good results.

My five seven with the 197 round is my night stand gun. I am confident in the weapon.

I will admit that both the PS90 and the Five Seven are over priced for what they are. The PS90 should be $1000 tops, and the pistol shouldn't be more than $600. But, they are...

Anyway, the gun isn't for everyone. But, I also have no problems using either. And, my PS90 would be my SHTF gun if I needed a rifle.

I'd invite you to come check out the FN Forum if you want to speak with people who actually own both guns and know a bit more about them than just repeated rhetoric.

PhilR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Trophy Club, Texas
    Actually - I own one AND a PS90. I love the PS90 - as it is really an awesome gun. But, I got the Five Seven last summer. It is a nice weapon.

And, much of what is discussed about the gun and round is just repeated stuff that comes up on all the gun forums. Generally - 5.7 threads on the various gun forums break down into insults... And, they just go downhill from there. I've seen it dozens of times - especially at The Firing Line and Glocktalk. It's the same guys who go and troll up the threads too.

While no round is perfect, and there are pros and cons for the 5.7 round. The round isn't as weak as some would have you believe. I have seen numerous "tests" done by members of different gun forums, and the results have been impressive.

I especially like the 197 round - as it fragments and makes a decent sized hole. There have been a few bullet tests done by members at the Fn Forum recently - and they show very good results.

My five seven with the 197 round is my night stand gun. I am confident in the weapon.

I will admit that both the PS90 and the Five Seven are over priced for what they are. The PS90 should be $1000 tops, and the pistol shouldn't be more than $600. But, they are...

Anyway, the gun isn't for everyone. But, I also have no problems using either. And, my PS90 would be my SHTF gun if I needed a rifle.

I'd invite you to come check out the FN Forum if you want to speak with people who actually own both guns and know a bit more about them than just repeated rhetoric.

I agree wholeheartedly. I first shot one about a year ago when a FN rep was in town and I got to shoot a lot of FN's. I was very impressed with the Five-seveN and the proto-type .45 which they now have out. I would invite any of the 5.7 naysayers to let me shoot them and they could see first-hand what that little round can do.

Contrary to what one poster said, the Five_seveNs are not being dropped by everybody that owns one. In fact the pistol and the PS90 are very much wanted and asked for AND it is hard to find used ones. People hang on to them for good reason.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I'm getting kinda fond of the 5.7

We did a demo for a local Sheriff last week and of all the contraptions we took he's investigating the P90 for purchase. The p90 is the subgun FN makes that compliments the 5.7 pistol. I personally am finding myself liking the p90 more than my mp5 which has been a longtime favorite. If I were to carry a p90 for work the 5.7 would be on my belt.

The 5.7 pistol is a great compliment for the subgun and a nicely made pistol, but real world experience is slim. For placing in the safe to admire its a no brainer to buy one. For a proven carry gun that is exotic and proven I would go with an STI or HK.

Funny thing is I ordered another .22 can and as much as i like my Gemtech Outback I'm getting the SWR that will also suppress the 5.7 in case I go that route.

Chris

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I love my Five-seveN, great gun, real fun to shoot. Plus it's kind of a novel firearm.

The ammo is expensive, but I don't mind that too much. :D I've got over 3200 rounds stockpiled now.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    And since I have my Walther P22 and a Five-seveN (and getting a GSG-5), I think this is the one for me! Thanks for the heads-up Chris! I'll be getting hold of you guys once my trust is setup.

This will work ok with a Jarvis threaded barrel?

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    Does the suppessor work with the original barrel ? and will it work on the PS-90? It would be nice to have a suppressor you could swap between them.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Spectre 22 and 5.7 suppressor

From viewing www.swrmfg.com the site for SWR silencers, appears the can comes threaded 1/28 which is standard for 22 pistols. For a Walther p22 you would need an adapter like the one available from Gemtech. they list an optional 5.7mm mount that should solve the 5.7 pistol mounting. Not sure on mounting for a P90 but suspect they must have something and will check when I'm back in town later this week.

chris

Top Bottom