• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    What do you guys think about that foaming bore cleaner? It seems like it works really well, but I'm curious if it can harm your barrel if it gets in there. Anyone here have any experience with that?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My rule of thumb is if it is a well known brand and is made for the function you are using it for, it should be completely safe. I use several brands of foaming barrel cleaner and really the only difference I can see with the foaming version vs the liquid is how you apply it. The foaming you just shoot into the barrel and it covers all of the inside. The liquid you need to put it on a patch and run it a few times to insure it covers all of the inside.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Last night was my first time with it, and it seemed like it cleans VERY good. One of my concerns is am I supposed to run a wet patch through my barrel afterwards followed by a few dry patches so that I still have a film on the barrel? It's a chrome barrel. Also, will that foaming bore cleaner hurt the barrel at all? Will it negatively affect things if you run the bore cleaner through your barrel with every cleaning, or is this more of a semi-annual cleaner?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What do you guys think about that foaming bore cleaner? It seems like it works really well, but I'm curious if it can harm your barrel if it gets in there. Anyone here have any experience with that?

I use CLP and a bore snake. The only time I use anything else is when I get copper builds up which rarely happens.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Hey Jeremy, I have not used the foam cleaner but I do use the Blue Wonder cleaner (it's a watery gel type) and I have to run some type of gun oil after I use it because it is a true chemical clean and it removes every thing, including any kind of lubricant or oil. It's perty good stuff, maybe the stuff you used is along the same lines??? I only use it once a year to get my barrels mirror clean, in between I just run a patch through em now and again.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I use CLP and a bore snake. The only time I use anything else is when I get copper builds up which rarely happens.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk
    That's what I normally use, but my barrel lost the shine that I felt is should have had. I'm still not sure if it helped much. lol I may keep it on hand as an occasional cleaner, but I'd like to know what exactly I'm dealing with here.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    You didn't say the brand. The one I use is BreakFree Foaming Bore Cleaner. And as I said, I can't tell the difference (cleaning wise) between that and standard BF CLP. I put it in the barrel, let it set for 10-15 minutes and then run a brush a few times followed by a patch or two. When I'm happy with the cleanliness, I run a patch with light oil (usually Miltec). If the gun is going to sit for awhile, I'll leave like that. If I'm going to be shooting it in the month or so, I'll run a dry patch which will leave just a very light film of the oil.

If the product is labeled for gun use and has no disclaimer about not using with chrome lined barrels I can't see why it would be a problem. I think get poor results when they use products not specifically labeled for gun use. Like chlorinated brake cleaner and other such harsh chemicals.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The brand is gun slick. Its a blue and white aerosol can you get in the gun cleaning section at Academy. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    M Pro 7 makes one but the can didn't last long. I've also used gunslick. That stuff seems a bit more harsh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    When I put the rifle on my AR workbench and filled the barrel-I had a bluish liquid coming out 20 min later. That was a little bit of an oh shit moment for me. I scrubbed it after and then ran rags through till they were clean. It only took 3-4 compared to 8-10 when I use CLP. I'll probably run a wet rag followed by a dry one when I get home just to give it a film.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom