• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crzy_mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    US
    Last year I hunted with dad on his lease, this year I was able to get on as well. My spot is a bit lower and closer to the creek than his is, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for food plots in areas that sees a fair amount of standing water periodically throughout the year. Last year we did a small clover and chicory plot on a slope so there was no standing water to contend with.
    Capitol Armory ad

crzy_mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    US
    It's fairly dry most of the time but when it rains it generally puddles up for a few days. I'm headed out the last weekend this month, I'll try to post some pic's of what I'm working with.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's fairly dry most of the time but when it rains it generally puddles up for a few days. I'm headed out the last weekend this month, I'll try to post some pic's of what I'm working with.

Hmm... that don't sound too bad. Sounds like its a; is what it is spot. At least its getting moisture. I did a couple plots out this way... freaking driest winter in awhile. Still better than nothing though. I bought some fruit trees yesterday. Pretty excited to get them going in a few years.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Deer and coyotes love watermelons.
    It takes a good fence to keep 'em out when the melons get ripe.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    First high fence in Jones county was a guy near Hamlin trying to keep deer out of his melon patch.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You won't find plants. You gotta grow em.

I save seeds from melons I like.

crzy_mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    US
    I was able to get out to the lease all weekend and do some looking around. The hogs are thick, there is a ton of varmints and predators, and snakes. It hasn't rained in about a week, but the last rain storm was pretty bad for about 12-15 hours. There was still some standing water on the trails but I have some hope for this area. This pic is a stand from a previous hunter's spot. I moved my stand in closer for archery hunting but put my feeder in the same spot. It was a little muddy but not bad, I think i could put a small plot in here if i clear a few tre
    feeder.jpg
    es and get some light in there.

crzy_mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    US
    Down the trail a ways I started to clear another trail farther away from the creeks, after 2 hours of cutting a trail I found my self in sloppy area. I choose to cut my way to this spot because I thought I could see some sunlight in a good sized opening, when I got there this is what I found.
    mud.jpg

It did open up with good light, but you can see the water in the back. where I am standing my boots sank in 2-3 inches in the mud. Do you think there is any hope for this area? This has the best lighting I've found thus far.

crzy_mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    US
    This pic. shows the standing water behind the feeder, this drains into the main creek on the property I believe. Its about feet away from the feeder in the pic.
    behind feeder.jpg

Top Bottom