Patriot Mobile

Football team forfeits because other team is too big and too good.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    "The biggest concern is the recruiting aspect that private schools are able to do. They can pull from a 50-mile radius from their campus and send buses to pick the kids up," said Granite Falls Head Coach Tim Dennis. "Just the level of athletes they've been able to bring in on one team, it doesn't match up with a lot of the teams in our league."

Uh yeah, but you knew that when you scheduled the game.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    These teams should not be in the same division. Question is why are they? Private schools should never play public schools because of this and other factors. Try playing a deaf school. They huddle, they set and hike without a count. Just a blind snap so many seconds after the set. It takes you half a second to respond and by that time they are all over you.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The year I played, 9th grade, I was the smallest player on the team. A whopping 105 pounds.
    I put 2 of own players out for a game. Coach shouldn't have told me to hit them lower. Not my fault.
    Two of our players were big. They usually practiced with the army team. We had several of our team out for the season with injuries. Quite a few of the other teams players were put out with injuries. I was out a game from a broken nose.
    We were the only team that injured anyone. That's right. We hurt our own as well as others. I broke my own nose. Told you was an idgit. We wound up Army Champs, second island wide. No one else hurt our players, we were some tough little brats.
    Not on purpose, just played hard. And held nothing back.
    Even the fullback that normally practice with the Army team, I played defensive end, showed me no mercy in practice. Bastard hit like frieght train too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Sounds more like an issue admin types having their heads up their butts more than anything else. There is obviously a disparity between the teams that should have been identified by league officials after the first few games. Should have been addressed by sending the dominant team to play in a different division. If that is NOT possible due to geographic constraints then the Private schools can go find its own league to play in.

The above assumes that there really is such a large disparity between the teams as the article claims. There is a reason why we have different divisions in athletic competition. We need to remember that athletics are an extra curricular activity meant to supplement academics in a safe and organized way.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    If Andre' the Giant climbed into a boxing ring with me... I'd not only forfeit... I'd run like a scared little rabbit... and prolly be peeing myself all the way out of the building.

ByrdMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Wasilla, AK
    If Andre' the Giant climbed into a boxing ring with me... I'd not only forfeit... I'd run like a scared little rabbit... and prolly be peeing myself all the way out of the building.

Lol, that's a little different in the sense that you'd probably be getting paid for it. Pay me enough and I'll step into the ring with anyone (Mike Tyson?) knowing I'd get my ass kicked. Might even try to get a punch in just to say I hit him. Show me the money!!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Lol, that's a little different in the sense that you'd probably be getting paid for it. Pay me enough and I'll step into the ring with anyone (Mike Tyson?) knowing I'd get my ass kicked. Might even try to get a punch in just to say I hit him. Show me the money!!

If a professional heavyweight were to land a single solid punch on 99% of the population, it would most likely result in permanent brain damage to the recipient.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As for the team forfeiting the game, it is just a game, and as the majority of permanent disabling injuries that result from football happen in high school games, I do not have a problem with the coaches looking out for their players in the event that they are outweighed by an average of 50 lbs or more.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If a professional heavyweight were to land a single solid punch on 99% of the population, it would most likely result in permanent brain damage to the recipient.

Sooo, how much money are we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I need a cash amount.

Also, likely not going to cause that kind of trauma. Many people have taken impacts similar to that of a professional boxer (including other boxers) without sustaining such damage.

Does boxing make your brain more resilient?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Cash after taxes. I want to know how much will go in my pocket.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Conditioning helps to accommodate, such as football players building neck muscles. There is a correlation to head injury and lack of neck muscles in the modern NFL, according to a podcast I heard. Idk how valid, but it does raise an interesting question.

Top Bottom