For the AR-15 fan boy/girl: Why is the safety lever designed the way it is?

easy rider

Spark Creator
TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
I don't remember a situation where I was dragging my AR across the ground, but then I wasn't issued one when I was born, so I wasn't aware of the change. I certainly wish I could have one of the first M-16's, but I think my chances are slim to none I will ever shoot one, let alone own one. Since the military rarely changes things unless there are mishaps or it would make it cheaper, I'm sure I know why it was changed.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 9, 2014
We went from M14 in boot camp to M16 in ITR...I was disgusted...loved the M14. Didn't like the 3-pos safety...wasn't aware they'd changed it...makes sense to me. I liked the Mini-14 because of the M14- type safety. Let two get away from me .

Big Green

Wife, kids, ARs, Glocks and Jeeps. What a life!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mar 5, 2018
College Station
Unfortunately I can’t watch the video at the moment.

I will say I have a M1A and ARs. The AR flick to move to fire is second nature to me. I like my M1A but none of it is as ergonomic as the AR.

The AR with a 45° safety is even easier but that’s another discussion.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
We went from M14 in boot camp to M16 in ITR...I was disgusted...loved the M14. Didn't like the 3-pos safety...wasn't aware they'd changed it...makes sense to me. I liked the Mini-14 because of the M14- type safety. Let two get away from me .
Ha! Did the same thing (Basic, not Boot & AIT, not ITR) circa 1969-70

Renegade

SuperOwner
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
I saw that gun at Reed Knights Private Museum at the SHOT Show Open House in 2007. No pix allowed though. Note the charging handle too.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 6, 2017
One thing the video did not bring up, which is something I read years ago and is along the same line as this video, is that that older model ARs did not have a ridge, guard, or raised border running around the magazine release. The mag release was just a button sticking out so this caused some issues with inadvertently dropping magazines because your hand/finger, or in this case dragging it like a Neanderthal on the ground, would brush against the button and drop your magazine.

The video is pretty interesting and adds one more little detail that I had never heard of.

Thanks for posting.

Coyote9

TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
I picked up a safety at the Wannamaker show several years ago that slips right in, it is vertical when safe then just thumb the lever forward to fire. I dropped white and red paint to make the markings read correctly.

Products discussed on TGT

Top Bottom