For the AR-15 fan boy/girl: Why is the safety lever designed the way it is?

easy rider

Shed Renovator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
I don't remember a situation where I was dragging my AR across the ground, but then I wasn't issued one when I was born, so I wasn't aware of the change. I certainly wish I could have one of the first M-16's, but I think my chances are slim to none I will ever shoot one, let alone own one. Since the military rarely changes things unless there are mishaps or it would make it cheaper, I'm sure I know why it was changed.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 9, 2014
We went from M14 in boot camp to M16 in ITR...I was disgusted...loved the M14. Didn't like the 3-pos safety...wasn't aware they'd changed it...makes sense to me. I liked the Mini-14 because of the M14- type safety. Let two get away from me .

Big Green

Wife, kids, ARs, Glocks and Jeeps. What a life!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mar 5, 2018
College Station
Unfortunately I can’t watch the video at the moment.

I will say I have a M1A and ARs. The AR flick to move to fire is second nature to me. I like my M1A but none of it is as ergonomic as the AR.

The AR with a 45° safety is even easier but that’s another discussion.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
We went from M14 in boot camp to M16 in ITR...I was disgusted...loved the M14. Didn't like the 3-pos safety...wasn't aware they'd changed it...makes sense to me. I liked the Mini-14 because of the M14- type safety. Let two get away from me .
Ha! Did the same thing (Basic, not Boot & AIT, not ITR) circa 1969-70

Renegade

SuperOwner
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
I saw that gun at Reed Knights Private Museum at the SHOT Show Open House in 2007. No pix allowed though. Note the charging handle too.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 6, 2017
One thing the video did not bring up, which is something I read years ago and is along the same line as this video, is that that older model ARs did not have a ridge, guard, or raised border running around the magazine release. The mag release was just a button sticking out so this caused some issues with inadvertently dropping magazines because your hand/finger, or in this case dragging it like a Neanderthal on the ground, would brush against the button and drop your magazine.

The video is pretty interesting and adds one more little detail that I had never heard of.

Thanks for posting.

Coyote9

TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
I picked up a safety at the Wannamaker show several years ago that slips right in, it is vertical when safe then just thumb the lever forward to fire. I dropped white and red paint to make the markings read correctly.

easy rider

Shed Renovator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
I picked up a safety at the Wannamaker show several years ago that slips right in, it is vertical when safe then just thumb the lever forward to fire. I dropped white and red paint to make the markings read correctly.
Well, there goes your days of dragging your AR on the ground.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Latest posts