Military Camp

For the AR-15 fan boy/girl: Why is the safety lever designed the way it is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't remember a situation where I was dragging my AR across the ground, but then I wasn't issued one when I was born, so I wasn't aware of the change. I certainly wish I could have one of the first M-16's, but I think my chances are slim to none I will ever shoot one, let alone own one. Since the military rarely changes things unless there are mishaps or it would make it cheaper, I'm sure I know why it was changed.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    We went from M14 in boot camp to M16 in ITR...I was disgusted...loved the M14. Didn't like the 3-pos safety...wasn't aware they'd changed it...makes sense to me. I liked the Mini-14 because of the M14- type safety. Let two get away from me .

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Unfortunately I can’t watch the video at the moment.

I will say I have a M1A and ARs. The AR flick to move to fire is second nature to me. I like my M1A but none of it is as ergonomic as the AR.

The AR with a 45° safety is even easier but that’s another discussion.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    We went from M14 in boot camp to M16 in ITR...I was disgusted...loved the M14. Didn't like the 3-pos safety...wasn't aware they'd changed it...makes sense to me. I liked the Mini-14 because of the M14- type safety. Let two get away from me .
    Ha! Did the same thing (Basic, not Boot & AIT, not ITR) circa 1969-70

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    One thing the video did not bring up, which is something I read years ago and is along the same line as this video, is that that older model ARs did not have a ridge, guard, or raised border running around the magazine release. The mag release was just a button sticking out so this caused some issues with inadvertently dropping magazines because your hand/finger, or in this case dragging it like a Neanderthal on the ground, would brush against the button and drop your magazine.

The video is pretty interesting and adds one more little detail that I had never heard of.

Thanks for posting.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I picked up a safety at the Wannamaker show several years ago that slips right in, it is vertical when safe then just thumb the lever forward to fire. I dropped white and red paint to make the markings read correctly.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom