For the older guys around here... business related

oldag

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Feb 19, 2015
Franchises are much like timeshares. Some work, most don't. I attended SBA classes/seminars when I was thinking of a business. 3 yrs to have positive cash flow. 1 yr survival rate. One problem for tech type people, they have no management/business skills so the business guy walks away with the company. Visit Fredericksburg for a couple days to observe, interesting.
Yep.

85% of startups fail within the first couple of years.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 29, 2009
Pearland, TX
Most successful restaurant guy I knew would start one up, and sell within the first year before the bloom fell off the rose. Kept doing it and the buyers never did seem to catch on.
Yep. Don't be in the restaurant business. Vegas has much better odds. Be in the restaurant starting business. Sounds like a smart guy.

bbbass

Baffler of the Brilliant
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 2, 2020
NE Orygun
Restaurants at best operate at less than 5% ROI, then the employees either stop showing up, or starting taking food out the back door. Long hours, dealing with genpop, and waitstaff that wants to work 4 hour shifts 2-3 days but make a living wage doing it.

bbbass

Baffler of the Brilliant
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 2, 2020
NE Orygun
I think I'd go into a traditional biz like MJ grow and transport, but the competition is killer!!!

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
In my humble opinion, I'd go the hydroponic route. Minimal startup costs, large production in a minimal space, large population looking for organically grown produce. If you specialize in salad greens, the seed is cheap, fertilizers (nutrients) are cheap, you may utilize the flow of water through some fish ponds and have a meat source for your own use or sale. Trout, bluegill, catfish, everything just depends on what you want to do, fresh fish to sell to restaurants and veggies. You could dedicate space to raise chickens for eggs and feed them organically grown greens, so many options.

easy rider

Spark Creator
TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
A business that teaches others what you know best. Some areas the start up cost may be a bit high depending on equipment. Although I don't have my own business, I enjoy teaching others what I know. Of course, there will be those at times make me feel like I want to pull out what little hair I have, but nothing beats seeing someone where the light bulb goes on in their head.

One of the instructors that now works with us, was a student I taught.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Latest posts