• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2011) - PREVIEW
    http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcoming/previews/battlestar-remake.html[url]http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcoming/previews/battlestar-remake.html[/URL]

Battlestar Galactica (2011)

Starring: TBA
    Director: Bryan Singer
    Rated: Unrated
    U.S. Opening Date: TBA 2011

It’s an idea so astoundingly stupid that when we first heard it we checked the calendar to make sure that it wasn’t April Fool’s Day!

It wasn’t. Unfortunately . . .

Though Universal Studios have denied the reports, the rumors are persisting that they are planning to remake the original late-1970s Battlestar Galactica TV series . . . The latest rumour has it that Universal is close to signing a deal with X-Men, Superman Returns director Bryan Singer to helm the remake.

But hasn’t there been a recent Battlestar Galactica “reimagining” which had a successful four season run (as planned) on the SyFi Channel? you’d ask quite reasonably I believe. Yup, but the keywords here are “remake” and “reimagining.” Whereas the SyFy Channel show successfully turned the basic concept behind the old cheesy TV show into something very different but also far, far better, the planned movie will be a straight-forward remake and not feature any of the 2000s TV series’ actors, characters or storylines. It will be a remake plain and simple.

In the original series the Cylons – a race of warrior robots - were created by a now-extinct reptilian race (presumably killed off by their own creations). After a thousand year war with humanity, which lives on twelve planets in a distant star system, the Cylons are ready to make peace. But it turns out to be a ruse: the Cylons attack and wipe out the colonies with the help of a human traitor named Baltar. You know the rest from the closing narration: “Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest - for a shining planet known as Earth."

By the way, despite the opening narration ("There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the heavens.") all this supposedly took place in 1980 if the controversial (read: cack) Galactica 1980 TV series is anything to go by.

The irony is of course that the original Battlestar Galactica was a Star Wars knock-off that lasted only one season (unless you count Galactica 1980 of course) . . .

Battlestar movie definitely going ahead

Friday, 14 August 2009 06:52

UPDATE: According to a recent report in Variety X-Men / Superman Returns director Bryan Singer WILL both produce and direct a big screen version of Battlestar Galactica for Universal Studios.

According to reports the new movie will "will not have anything to do with the popular Syfy television series of the same name." Instead it will be "a complete reimagination."

(Note: this movie will have nothing to do with the recent Syfy Channel show but will be based on the original 1970s show.)

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    blasphemy

Thats what many people said when they started the rein-visioned Galactica.
    While there were many that were not happy with the changes in the beginning, the show was so well done that it won many including my self over.
    I have all 4 seasons on DVD the two side movies Razer and The Plan, Caprica and will follow the Caprica series with the same interest as Galactica.

While I agree looking back BSG the original series was a bit sappy. I expect this to be very well done.
    I do not expect it to be an exact remake, but a loose following if it follows at all the original, with the exceptions of critical plot points.
    I look forward to this, it may not be up to Galactica standards, but it cant be as hammy as the original.
    Time will tell but I think it will be worth a watch.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    Thats what many people said when they started the rein-visioned Galactica.

Time will tell but I think it will be wort a watch.

I'm sure it will be worth a watch, I just do not "approve" (said very snootily ;)) of re-makes of classic tv shows or movies. How many times have you heard "wow that re-make was better than the original"? Not very many times, if ever I bet.

Hollyweird has gotten completely lazy-ass with all the remakes and dumb ass reality shows.

But I will say that sometimes "classic" shows aren't as good as I remember, If I sat down right now and watched some original Battlestar Galactica I would probably say "dang I don't remember that show being so retarded and cheesy".

And for the record, colorization of great B&W movies piss me off too....but I'll save that rant for a later time

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    I'm sure it will be worth a watch, I just do not "approve" (said very snootily ;)) of re-makes of classic tv shows or movies. How many times have you heard "wow that re-make was better than the original"? Not very many times, if ever I bet.

While I am sure I have watched some remakes in the past the only two that come to mind are Race to Witch Mountain which was Disney's remake of Escape to Witch Mountain and The Day the Earth stood still and you are right, they both sucked.

Hollyweird has gotten completely lazy-ass with all the remakes and dumb ass reality shows.

But I will say that sometimes "classic" shows aren't as good as I remember, If I sat down right now and watched some original Battlestar Galactica I would probably say "dang I don't remember that show being so retarded and cheesy".

Feel the same way. I loved the original Battlestar when it was out, but watching it later I said almost that exact thing. But it is still fun to watch.

And for the record, colorization of great B&W movies piss me off too....but I'll save that rant for a later time

Can't think of any B&W movies I have watched that were later colorized that I then watched .

I understand your line of thought, just though some might find it interesting to know the original BSG was being gone over once more. Not a rein-visioning

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I understand your line of thought, just though some might find it interesting to know the original BSG was being gone over once more. Not a rein-visioning

Oh people will find it interesting, and I appreciate you bringing it up, a friend of mine is a huge Sci-Fi channel junky and he is very excited about the new series (what a dork lol)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Jennifer, Welcome. I would recommend that you place your introduciton into the "introduction" section.

back to the thread. . .

I am recently starting to watch the new BSG. I've gotten most of the way through the first season and I like it, though I'm not a big fan of the . . . .sex and robot deal. Besides that, love it. I'm more of a SG/star wars (and my wife's family is a star trek fan. . . go figure).

I "hope" this re-make will be good. I like the BSG series so far and will continue to watch it in the future.

Hollywood has had some good and some bad re-makes. I think they have about as good a batting average of good movies as other, non-remakes (which isn't real good), but I think they are a safer financial bet for them. Some of us are always going go watch it, no matter how bad it is.

Top Bottom