• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Source on the engine damage? I've done some research on that myself and haven't found anything credible to suggest otherwise. I might be wrong though.

My gosh man... do a google search for AFM lifter problems and you can read all you want to about it.
    You can decide for yourself if it is "credible" or not, but I know it is.
    I know of 2 people with 2012/2013 Silverados that had major damage at around 145 K

Call Royce Brooks Garage in Abilene-They have seen a few of them already
    They don't show any signs of trouble until they go bad.

There are companies that sell rebuild kits for this type of failure/wear problem.
    Lifters and cams I think.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I always thought the start stop would cuase more wear & tear on starters, alternators & batteries...glad I got a 14' F150

yes, but think about it.. it makes the vehicle get .00002387713 more miles per gallon!
    So over the life of the vehicle it will save 2 gallons of gas!!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's definitely longevity issues with the AFM system, at least the older models. The whole system is worth about 1-2 mpg in steady state light load freeway driving from my personal experience.

If you're mechanically inclined, planning on keeping your AFM-equipped vehicle past 100k, and don't care about the fuel mileage? Doing an AFM delete while picking up a fair bit of power is only cash and a weekend away. These motors are incredibly easy to work on without screwing them up, and there's a lot of AFM-delete kits on the market. The biggest downside is you have to strip the motor down to the shortblock, but that's not as intimidating as it sounds.

Top Bottom