• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    At least with thieves, they doing damage that you can generate see.

Rodents often do damage in the shadows and in tight,confined spaces, where it’s near impossible to get to. So just ID’ing the problem can be a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    At least with thieves, they doing damage that you can generate see.

Rodents often do damage in the shadows and in tight,confined spaces, where it’s near impossible to get to. So just ID’ing the problem can be a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Both types of vermin following their natural instincts. ID'ing problem is usually easy - 2 or 4 legged animal?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, I promised to post how this got fixed.

First, I did most or all of the stuff recommended in this thread that I could do. I disconnected and reconnected things, looked for corrosion or other wire damage, etc. Nothing worked.

So I took it to a local place that I trust to do good work and back it up. They're expensive but they stand by their work and will fix any little or big related thing if it breaks after they've fixed it. I know this from experience.

I took it in and had a long discussion with the service writer mirroring the content of this thread. He understood and, without prompting, the first words out of his mouth were "Sounds like a bad common ground somewhere." We agreed to limit the diagnosis to 4 hours because if it was going to take longer than that, I'd rather drive with the warning lights on than spend that much money on diagnostic shop time at $175/hr.

The next day, the service writer is off so I get a call from the guy doing the diagnosis. The first thing he tells me is that I definitely need a switch for the right-side power window.

I cut him off with a "No, you don't understand. These problems are intermittent. I talked this over with the service writer and I'm sorry he didn't make it clear to you but there is most likely a common cause. I specifically DO NOT authorize you to do any work on the power windows."

He stopped talking about the windows and explained his testing methodology at length, concluding with "There may be other things wrong, but I can say absolutely that the ABS module isn't working. I can see everything on my testing equipment with it removed but if it's installed, various circuits that the testing equipment should see, it can't. So whatever else is wrong, you need a new ABS module, then we can re-check everything afterwards."

I agreed to that. The final invoice included -
    • Labor -
      • Diagnose window - $65 (a total waste)
      • Diagnose electrical - $260
      • Remove and replace ABS Control Module - $143
      • Program new ABS Control Module - $350
    • Parts -
      • ABS Module - $934.74
    Now, I don't know if the listed charges are reasonable or complete bullshit. I do know that the work they did fixed all the warning lights on the dash, restored ABS function, and also fixed the power windows, the wipers, and the air conditioning motor (which had failed last, among all the other intermittent failures.)

I don't know why fixing the ABS also fixes the wipers, windows, and A/C, but it did.

So don't try to spare my feelings. Just tell me, in your opinion, did I get hosed?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Sounds like the ABS module is on the same communications bus as a handful of other modules. I don't know that era Ford's network, but compare it to an old coax 10-base-2 ethernet network. If you have a bad network card in one computer, it could disrupt comms on the whole network.

As for the money, that sounds about right for what a higher end shop would charge using new parts.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have to agree with @Brains. Considering where you live, a good mechanic shop's rates are ging to much higher than where I live. ABS parts are usually pretty expensive.

So while it may seem like an expensive bill for repairs, I think it's probably actually reasonable.

And in all honesty, diagnosing electrical problems that are intermittent can be very difficult and expensive. If it stays fixed, then it's probably worth what you paid.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    compare it to an old coax 10-base-2 ethernet network. If you have a bad network card in one computer, it could disrupt comms on the whole network.
    BTDT, which is why when the tech explained his testing methodology, even though he was dumbing it down, it sounded reasonable.

ETA: I think, on general principle, that this episode has convinced me that my next stereo power amp will be a point-to-point, hand-wired unit. I was already leaning that direction but this pretty much cinches the choice. :)

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Now, I don't know if the listed charges are reasonable or complete bullshit.
    The ABS module programming is the only one that sounds suspect. I don't know anything about Fords, but typically programming a replacement module consists of registering serial numbers and VIN and a calibration test. Shouldn't be more than 0.5hr labor. Probably less.

$175/hr for labor might sound expensive, but that's really what a good mechanic will cost. Of course some charge that and more, but aren't even worth $20/hr so you have to go on reputation...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    IMO....if what he does fixes the issues, then it's worth every penny. Is it high? Well, it's like some of the folks locally that look for a cheap mechanic, then complain that they didn't fix it....and look for ANOTHER cheap mechanic. My local guy...I don't even know his labor rate - or care. I DO know that I can take something in to him, and he'll fix it - or tell me to take it to "XYZ shop" because they're better at what's needed. Honesty has a value all its' own.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I would believe that replacing the module cured the common ground module. Even money says the module was fine, the ground caused it all. Also even money the module had an intermittent short causing the gremlins.

Gulfport Joe

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 17, 2021
    NAS Pensacola
    I have a 2015 Ford super duty and some module (ECM or ECU or similar but I cant remember the name) has gone out twice! Both while under warranty. The module affected all sorts of unrelated stuff. Like connecting a phone, the wipers, Abs and traction control. The dealership said the module controls about 1000 things (really their words) Everything from my fuel left, mpg, type stuff to the things I already listed. On the last replacement I asked how much that part cost? They told me there is not a price in their system for it since it is warranty work. I am no engineering professor but to me it seems dumb to have all that stuff done by one module or computer.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have a 2015 Ford super duty and some module (ECM or ECU or similar but I cant remember the name) has gone out twice! Both while under warranty. The module affected all sorts of unrelated stuff. Like connecting a phone, the wipers, Abs and traction control. The dealership said the module controls about 1000 things (really their words) Everything from my fuel left, mpg, type stuff to the things I already listed. On the last replacement I asked how much that part cost? They told me there is not a price in their system for it since it is warranty work. I am no engineering professor but to me it seems dumb to have all that stuff done by one module or computer.
    Most vehicles use two main ECU's or ECM's to control all vehicle electrical operations. Or actually an ECM or ECU that controls most all of the driveline or drivetrain functions, and BCM, that controls pretty much everything else within the vehicle. Pretty standard manufacturing for at least the last twenty to twenty five years.

Top Bottom