Ford Electrical Problems

robertc1024

Staff member
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Jan 22, 2013
San Marcos
You're absolutely correct. Not like I spent over 40 years working on cars and trucks.

I'll let you explain how it works.
I'd totally agree with your response to ZX9RCAM in regards to wiring, contact resistance etc. However 20A is 20A with a fuse - Size doesn't matter - whatever the men say. Maybe I mis-read what you were saying about "larger format" - I thought you were talking about a fuse size. In which case, I apologize.

69ChevelleLSX

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 7, 2019
Texas
20 amp fuse is a 20 amp fuse
20 amps fuse is designed to protect the circuit.
A larger blade or surface area will provide less resistance(heat) to the fuse that will still blow at 20 amps.

Grumps21

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apr 28, 2021
Houston
Here’s the TSB for anyone who has an ‘09-14 F150 or ‘09-12 F250/F350

The small yellow 20a fuse below was changed to the larger blue 20a. I took this from https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1449733-tsb-15-0137-fuel-pump-fuse-2.html
Now that I know what to look for, I found lots of write ups on the issue.

@Axxe55, you did a better job explaining the issue than I could have

1638359929849.jpeg

Eli

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dec 28, 2008
Ghettohood - SW Houston
TL;DR; I don't have time to go through 9 pages of this.
Late Fords use single modules that control almost the entire electrical system, perhaps yours is failing.
There was a time that I'd tell you to take it to Tommie Vaughn Ford, but I don't have as much confidence in their mechanics any more.

Eli

dsgrey

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 25, 2015
Denton County
I expect to replace moving parts and wear items as needed, but it really pisses me off when a non moving item like a fuse box craps out due to an engineering failure, and the manufacturer will not stand behind their product.
Well, I'll admit to the wife's 2022 Honda vehicle had the entire infotainment system die before we had 500 miles on it which includes climate controls, backup camera and two usb ports. Granted it was covered under warranty for the $1200 head unit and screen. Plus they had a part in Ohio versus a slow boat from China.

outdare

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jul 24, 2009
Houston
Ben, Have the BCM (Body control module) tested. It is the most likely culprit with all the weird issues. It controls most or all that you stated.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eli

Eli

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dec 28, 2008
Ghettohood - SW Houston
Ben, Have the BCM (Body control module) tested. It is the most likely culprit with all the weird issues. It controls most or all that you stated.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
That's what it's called - I knew it was some Control Module, just couldn't remember the name!

Eli

TexMex247

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
May 11, 2009
Leander(NW Austin)
I have seen that fuse relocation before. It's a shame they don't just fix it for free. It's a bad idea right out of the gate to have a circuit as vital as a fuel pump run through such a tiny fuse. Mini fuses have their place but like axxe said, they're just too small. They didn't increase the amp rating but small terminals degrade a lot faster than they're larger counterparts.

Just like any high draw device with poor connectivity, you're going to melt terminals before the fuse ever blows. When I used to install light bars and inverters on txdot vehicles we used maxi fuses for the power supplies and smaller fuses only to power up relay signal circuits.

Now a days, vehicles systems are modular in nature so rather than design for serviceability they are designed for replacement. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the other day with no ac operation. Evidently the goons at Chrysler decided to integrate the compressor relay into the fuse box.

I still have the old one and I'll probably deconstruct it to bypass their integrated garbage and wire in a basic relay holder. If it works well enough maybe I'll market a kit one day to save folks the several hundred dollar hit for what should be a $20-50 fix.

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 15, 2019
Lost
Wire costs money because it's made from copper and copper is expensive.

Vehicle manufacturers are not going to spend anymore money on wiring that what is required for that vehicle. So many times, they use the smallest gauge of wire that will get the job done as engineered. That's fine and dandy on new vehicle. Once some years and time have passed, it is not kind to wiring or terminals or connections.

Tnhawk

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 7, 2017
Southwest TN headed to TX
Wire costs money because it's made from copper and copper is expensive.

Vehicle manufacturers are not going to spend anymore money on wiring that what is required for that vehicle. So many times, they use the smallest gauge of wire that will get the job done as engineered. That's fine and dandy on new vehicle. Once some years and time have passed, it is not kind to wiring or terminals or connections.
How do you think smallest gauge wiring will work on the EVs?

Top Bottom