• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You're absolutely correct. Not like I spent over 40 years working on cars and trucks.

I'll let you explain how it works.
    I'd totally agree with your response to ZX9RCAM in regards to wiring, contact resistance etc. However 20A is 20A with a fuse - Size doesn't matter - whatever the men say. Maybe I mis-read what you were saying about "larger format" - I thought you were talking about a fuse size. In which case, I apologize.
    Guns International

69ChevelleLSX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    Texas
    20 amp fuse is a 20 amp fuse
    20 amps fuse is designed to protect the circuit.
    A larger blade or surface area will provide less resistance(heat) to the fuse that will still blow at 20 amps.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Here’s the TSB for anyone who has an ‘09-14 F150 or ‘09-12 F250/F350

The small yellow 20a fuse below was changed to the larger blue 20a. I took this from https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1449733-tsb-15-0137-fuel-pump-fuse-2.html
    Now that I know what to look for, I found lots of write ups on the issue.

@Axxe55, you did a better job explaining the issue than I could have

1638359929849.jpeg

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    TL;DR; I don't have time to go through 9 pages of this.
    Late Fords use single modules that control almost the entire electrical system, perhaps yours is failing.
    There was a time that I'd tell you to take it to Tommie Vaughn Ford, but I don't have as much confidence in their mechanics any more.

Eli

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I expect to replace moving parts and wear items as needed, but it really pisses me off when a non moving item like a fuse box craps out due to an engineering failure, and the manufacturer will not stand behind their product.
    Well, I'll admit to the wife's 2022 Honda vehicle had the entire infotainment system die before we had 500 miles on it which includes climate controls, backup camera and two usb ports. Granted it was covered under warranty for the $1200 head unit and screen. Plus they had a part in Ohio versus a slow boat from China.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Ben, Have the BCM (Body control module) tested. It is the most likely culprit with all the weird issues. It controls most or all that you stated.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eli

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Ben, Have the BCM (Body control module) tested. It is the most likely culprit with all the weird issues. It controls most or all that you stated.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    That's what it's called - I knew it was some Control Module, just couldn't remember the name!

Eli

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have seen that fuse relocation before. It's a shame they don't just fix it for free. It's a bad idea right out of the gate to have a circuit as vital as a fuel pump run through such a tiny fuse. Mini fuses have their place but like axxe said, they're just too small. They didn't increase the amp rating but small terminals degrade a lot faster than they're larger counterparts.

Just like any high draw device with poor connectivity, you're going to melt terminals before the fuse ever blows. When I used to install light bars and inverters on txdot vehicles we used maxi fuses for the power supplies and smaller fuses only to power up relay signal circuits.

Now a days, vehicles systems are modular in nature so rather than design for serviceability they are designed for replacement. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the other day with no ac operation. Evidently the goons at Chrysler decided to integrate the compressor relay into the fuse box.

I still have the old one and I'll probably deconstruct it to bypass their integrated garbage and wire in a basic relay holder. If it works well enough maybe I'll market a kit one day to save folks the several hundred dollar hit for what should be a $20-50 fix.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Wire costs money because it's made from copper and copper is expensive.

Vehicle manufacturers are not going to spend anymore money on wiring that what is required for that vehicle. So many times, they use the smallest gauge of wire that will get the job done as engineered. That's fine and dandy on new vehicle. Once some years and time have passed, it is not kind to wiring or terminals or connections.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Wire costs money because it's made from copper and copper is expensive.

Vehicle manufacturers are not going to spend anymore money on wiring that what is required for that vehicle. So many times, they use the smallest gauge of wire that will get the job done as engineered. That's fine and dandy on new vehicle. Once some years and time have passed, it is not kind to wiring or terminals or connections.
    How do you think smallest gauge wiring will work on the EVs?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    How do you think smallest gauge wiring will work on the EVs?
    Having never worked on one, or even seen the electrical, I can't really comment.

About the closest I could even hazard a guess, would be similar to a golf cart. Most of those run 48 volt systems, and the runs in between the batteries, to the motor and controller are usually 4/0 or larger. Even in between the solenoids many use 8ga wiring.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    In my new gig, I’ve learned a ton about wire harnesses from an OEM perspective. Never knew there was so much complexity…

A new car can have as much as 2 miles of wire throughout, so it makes sense to keep the gauge thin and the runs as short as possible.

And a given model can have multiple harnesses, which one is used depends on the trim level.

As an example, a base car might only have 4 speakers, with wiring to match. But our optional audio system might have 12 speakers plus an amp…too much for the base harness. So we’re only optional on higher trim models that have more leads coming off the harness that we can use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Another reason wiring is also smaller in gauge size is that many times the electrical components are way better than in years past and more efficient. Plus they are using lots more relays to mover power to where it's needed.

Take an electric window. Compare it to a vehicle of the 1970's or 1980's. The switches had to handle a lot more current, because the switch was actually switching the power to go up or down. The switches, and motor leads were about 10ga. wire.

Newer vehicles, use a switch, with very small wiring, because all the switch is doing, is sending a signal to the BCM to which is controlling a relay that tells the motor to raise or lower the window. So the motor is the only component with heavier gauge wiring. But even that wiring is about 12ga. to 14ga. wiring because the motors are so much more efficient than the older window motors.

Most vehicles manufacturers usually have one base main electrical harness that they use across an entire model line, regardless of what options are on that vehicle. They then have add-on sub-harness' for various options, and the main fuse-blocks have provisions for the added options and the provisions for the needed relays and fuses.

Open the hood up on any modern truck or car. A stripped down economy base model, has the same fuse-box, relay center and main vehicle wiring harness as the same truck or car that has every option available for that specific vehicle.

Simple reason is, it's cheaper as far as manufacturing and material costs.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    @benenglish Did you get it straightened out yet?

I'm with some of the others thinking it's a grounding problem first. My wife's car years ago had crazy electrical problems and it ended up being corrosion in the neg battery cable. It looked fine on the outside however.

You have a lot of squirrels where you are. It could be rodent damage. sometimes that's hard to see. Stupid little bastards.

With any luck it's not the BCM.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    @benenglish Did you get it straightened out yet?

I'm with some of the others thinking it's a grounding problem first. My wife's car years ago had crazy electrical problems and it ended up being corrosion in the neg battery cable. It looked fine on the outside however.

You have a lot of squirrels where you are. It could be rodent damage. sometimes that's hard to see. Stupid little bastards.

With any luck it's not the BCM.
    Squirrels can do some damage on wiring for sure. Some years ago, we had to replace the entire wiring harness on an ATV. The owner had land here in Anderson county he deer hunted on and leased out for cows. He lived in Houston and would leave the ATV at his farm in one of the barns , instead of hauling it back and forth from Houston.

They not only got the wiring, but the spark plug wire, the fuel lines and just about anything that was a hose. They did some damage to that ATV.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Squirrels can do some damage on wiring for sure. Some years ago, we had to replace the entire wiring harness on an ATV. The owner had land here in Anderson county he deer hunted on and leased out for cows. He lived in Houston and would leave the ATV at his farm in one of the barns , instead of hauling it back and forth from Houston.

They not only got the wiring, but the spark plug wire, the fuel lines and just about anything that was a hose. They did some damage to that ATV
    Well now that I read that, I’m glad my issue was a design defect. I’d be royally pissed if it were rodents. Fix it, only for the lil flukers to return for another feast

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well now that I read that, I’m glad my issue was a design defect. I’d be royally pissed if it were rodents. Fix it, only for the lil flukers to return for another feast
    That was probably one of the worst ones I have seen and repaired. But I have seen squirrels, rats and mice do lots of damage to vehicles, motorcycles, ATV's, tractors and others over the years.

Problem with his, was he lived in Houston, and would leave it for quite a few months in between trips up here in Anderson county at his land.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    That was probably one of the worst ones I have seen and repaired. But I have seen squirrels, rats and mice do lots of damage to vehicles, motorcycles, ATV's, tractors and others over the years.

Problem with his, was he lived in Houston, and would leave it for quite a few months in between trips up here in Anderson county at his land.
    Not sure which is worse - rodents or thief

Top Bottom