• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've read about chevy folks stuffing these cars with big blocks. 454's 5- freaking- 02's. Tire broiling 383's.

12 bolt rear ends. 40 spline real deal stuff.

I know about the body flex issues. I'm never gonna treat this car rough. It'll just look like she can tear ass. But she won't be slow!

Definitely lower rear end gears. I still want some gas mileage. 3.73 is as low as I am going. That's enough for this tiny car. It's already a skate board with a 280(?) HP Chevy v8 strapped to it. Half the car is plastic. What's these cars weigh? Like 3400lbs for the rag top?. It's too easy to get more power to weight.

The tranny I install, will be hard core. I gotta read up on the 4l60e. How do they stall the converter? Im assuming it's a electronic variable pitch? Ford would be.

I want it to chirp the tires. Firm hard shifts, all the way to third. Idk if overdrive counts. Trans go??? Best kit for these trannys??? Rebuild kits, master. Which brand?

Ill do the math on the stall speed.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I really did look hard for a mustang. But Damn, everybody has one. You could spend a million buck on it. And there'd still be one faster then yours.

The brand new mustang, is a 4 wheel independent suspension, monster. Everything the car should have been. With an absolutely incredible engine.

I asked myself, So what's the point of having one? (4th gen) They stopped making my favorite model. The Tbird. Imo, Mustang is a stripped down Tbird, with hard seats. No sound insulation. Interior sucks. It's like you're in a plastic ball pit.

Fun car all the same. Ford just tried to fill the world up, with cheap to make, 2Dr coupes. Sold on the lie, it seats 4 comfortably. That's bullshit. The back seat is fake.

Now these f-body, are something different. Nothing is more sexy then a 2001 super sport. It'll make your nipples hard. It's that, Chevy growl, US... Ford guys hate.

Fuckers. I can't get the same sound out of a Ford anything.

Cheapest heap ever valued yet.

I used to love those Mustang guys when I was on my bike. My Valkyrie looks similar to the HD style of riding (with four more cylinders and six carbs) and the Mustang guys would try and race me since the bike had loud deep exhaust. Too much fun smoking them lol.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I've read about chevy folks stuffing these cars with big blocks. 454's 5- freaking- 02's. Tire broiling 383's.

12 bolt rear ends. 40 spline real deal stuff.

I know about the body flex issues. I'm never gonna treat this car rough. It'll just look like she can tear ass. But she won't be slow!

Definitely lower rear end gears. I still want some gas mileage. 3.73 is as low as I am going. That's enough for this tiny car. It's already a skate board with a 280(?) HP Chevy v8 strapped to it. Half the car is plastic. What's these cars weigh? Like 3400lbs for the rag top?. It's too easy to get more power to weight.

The tranny I install, will be hard core. I gotta read up on the 4l60e. How do they stall the converter? Im assuming it's a electronic variable pitch? Ford would be.

I want it to chirp the tires. Firm hard shifts, all the way to third. Idk if overdrive counts. Trans go??? Best kit for these trannys??? Rebuild kits, master. Which brand?

Ill do the math on the stall speed.

An LQ9 is a hard part bolt-in. Lots of cubes and not very heavy. Fast makes an easy to install management system.
    Kits out there that will yield 427 cubes and retain the weight of an all aluminum plant.

The stripped race car above weighed in at 3180. My old TA t-top street car was a tick over 3800. They aren't lightweights ...

Can't help any on the A4 ...

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My cousin has a 'Stang with 4.10s and it was way too low. Good takeoff but not so good cruising.

The 3.73s sound like a better choice.

Good luck GHG.

And well done Mitch. You the man.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    If I'm going to have to look at this thread a lot, please have a mod change the title: Ford lover saves a '94 Z28

No comma; move apostrophe.

Back under the bridge, where the exhaust sound is even louder. Sweet music.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Here's a discount code: Your RockAuto discount code 2546506317785168 will expire on November 19, 2014.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Good luck on rebuilding the 4L60e. It can be done in the garage (I've done it), but you will need a couple specialty tools or the wherewithal to build the tools yourself. The biggest ones I can remember off hand are the clutch spring compressor and the input shaft seal installer. The seal installer is the tough one - you need it to gently expand the teflon sealing rings without damage, so they'll slip over the input shaft and install into their grooves. If they leak, you have a transmission that at best shifts horribly, and more likely will burn up in short order. I bought the seal installer (sold it long ago), but I made the spring compressor. The high gear clutch pack is the most vulnerable in the 4L60/TH700 though, as it's not large in diameter and it's all the way in the bottom of the input drum. It has the longest fluid circuit in the transmission too, along with high centripetal force acting on the fluid when you need the clutch to apply. Best advice I can give to make these transmissions last, is to limit the RPM going into 3rd gear. 2nd gear you can make as firm as you want, all the way up to destroying the tires on the 1-2 shift at 1/4 throttle if that's what you really want. You'll eventually rip the pin right out of the 2/4 band doing that though :) As for converters, I've always been a fan of the Precision Industries Vigilante 3200 for a street car at factory power levels. Circle D down here in Houston also makes some great converters, as does Yank and a host of other popular shops. These are not variable vane types though, nothing fancy at all in there. The poor man's solution has long been to just throw the converter from a 6 cylinder GM model in there and call it a day (they'll stall around 2800 in a 300HP car). You lose the efficiency and torque multiplication of a better matched converter though, but you can save hundreds of dollars.

Stock up on Optisparks! :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've read up on the 4l60e.....yeah, ill just buy one. Less heart ache.

Are Monster transmissions any good?

With a stall lock up, it'll run me about $1400. Their heavy duty 4l60e. They say it's good to 650hp, no nitrous.

Shift version #2. Auto/manual. Car case. 16xx rpm stall, lock up. Factory pan will drain.

Rear end will have 3.73 gears.

I already lined up a dock. Shipping will be free

I'm looking at around $450 from Rockauto. For all ball joints, struts, shocks, joints, tie rods. (Thank you, Robert! This bill will be less)

Need to look up rear main seal.

Rearend rebuild kit, $86.79.

Poly Bushing kit about $90.

3.73 gears, still shopping.

Weld draglite 15x6 (or 5")$180 each. Haven't priced spacer, wheel studs (these will be ARP, with proper thread count and thread pitch), nor lug nuts (open ended).

Draglite 15x10, 7.5bs, about $225 each.

Few bucks for valve stems. Hub covers.

Gear, tranny, and motor earl'. With GM diff additive.

Tires, my ex wife works for a tire distributor(they supply places like friend tire). It's whole sale cash and carry. Ill mount the tires in the yard. Get them balanced, and front end realigned, when she's ready to roll.

Grant classic, three spoke steering wheel. $80. The cavalier steering wheel has got to go. Still doing research on the install kit.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That 2 series carrier won't fit a 3 series gear.

Ask me about my T2Rs and see if you are interested.

Dammit, good fer nutin' chevy and their sorry ass rear axles.

Double dammit, a freaking 12bolt for this thing runs up around $3 Damn grand.

What's a t2rs??????

School a Ford guy, what can I do to this 7.5", Buick regal looking, turd rear end?

Besides replacing it with a real rear end? A mack-daddy Ford 9".

Edit: man....a 12bolt Moser would look sick under this camaro. I have memories of a 12bolt under a 1985 camaro. Wasn't tubbed. Think, really good, red neck mechanic type stuff. Big block, tunnel ram. He painted the motor, acid green.

White car. Hard top. 12bolts sure are sexy.....

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    T2R used to be the king of the LSDs in the 10 bolts.

I find it hard to believe you can't find a 12 bolt or 9 inch for a 4th gen someone is trying to sell.
    Houston and Dallas used to be filthy with F-bods built for street racing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

I find it hard to believe you can't find a 12 bolt or 9 inch for a 4th gen someone is trying to sell.

Just placed an ad. Ill hit up the classifieds. $2400 is a huge chunk of the budget. Which is $5300.

Someone has got to have one of these laying around. Ill do a 10bolt if it pops up.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

Mine was one of 'em. Sold it cheap and it went to the DFW area to break some more hearts.

'98 Firebird Formula, built T56, SPEC Stg. 4 w/ unsprung clutch disc, 370cid LQ9-based motor (stock crank, JE pistons, Lunati rods), Patriot heads (2.08/1.60 valves), Comp roller cam (238/240 deg @ 0.050", .605/.609" lift @ valve), Denny's "Nitrous-Ready" driveshaft, Moser 12 bolt w/ 33 spline axles, Eaton posi w/4.11's, Chris Alston subframes and LCAs, BMR torque arm, Hooker headers into a custom 3.5" Y-pipe with 3.5" cutout, Hooker catback, NX "NXL" direct port kit jetted at 120HP, NX MAF kit jetted at 100+50, NX nitrous controller/window switch. NO CLUE what she ran in the 1/4 mile lol. Ran easy 11.40's in bad weather on motor though, 3750lbs with me in it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Budgets not going to be able to buy a complete 12bolt. I've scowered' the internet. Found one complete assembly, moser, option 3, drag links, billstein shocks, drive shaft, all brakes, springs.

Dude wants $3498 for the whole mess. Too rich for me.

The stock axle with mods is said to be good for 450hp. That's all i need. I'm never putting slicks on the car. The engine is staying stock.

If I go to 12bolt. Ill buy the housing. Then swap meet the rest. The stock 7.5 from my understanding, can be stuffed to 3.42.

I'm assuming, if I go to 3.73....I need a pos'y carrier.

3.42 factory? Or about $300 for a posi carrier, and $150 for gears?

Im Not spending that much to improve a crappy 7.5.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Stock housing can go 4.56 if you really want, you just need to swap out the carrier with a 3 series (stock 3.42 gear from a six speed car is on a 3 series). I ran 4.10's in my stock 10 bolt for a year or so until I broke it (launching hard on ET Streets @ 410 rwhp). 3.73 gear will do just fine in an automatic car. Wife ran 3.42's in her stalled/cammed/nitrous 98 Camaro for a long time, until she went bigger motor and 76mm turbo - then the 9 inch went in with a 3.50 gear.

Non rambling answer: Get the diff from a stick car, use the 3.42's or swap to your 3.73's and go on down the road.

Top Bottom