• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My dye in the wool, Ford loving behind', came across a lost Chevy. She choose me. You can stand by this thing and feel a mechanical soul. Her French butt, screamed to be taken home...

1994 Chevy Camaro Z28 convertible. 5.7lt LT1, 4L60 auto. GU2 axle (2.73)

Less common mystic teal. Hair over 82,000 miles. Passed Travis county emissions. Sold brand new out of Midland, Texas.

Cruised 80-85mph from south Austin to I35. Even with a crappy transmission. Has the Parade top cover. Factory cig lighter, factory radio.

Only thing not stocked, not fucked with, is the muffler. Looks flow master. No change to the intermediate pipe.

She's gonna need her front end, transmission, and rear end rebuilt. She's getting poly bushings, struts, shocks, track arm...etc.

I'm gonna install a GU5 ring and pinion. It's like 3.43 or something.

Weld draglites, 15x5(or 6") front. 15x10 rear. Longer wheel studs on the front. Maybe grinding the caliber to make them fit.

The tranny, I'm rebuilding my self, as well as the rest of the work. It's easy, ill show how to get $1500 worth of 4L60e for about $400-500 bucks. Complete to replacing the bushings. Not a specialized transmission tool in my box. There's ways around that.

This is gonna be a really long thread. Lots of man hours. But take a look. She's worth it:

Even Ford guys have a sweet spot for Fbodys. When I'm done, she'll be sweet ride. Still getting 28mpg on the highway.

Stay tuned. First thing is ordering the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Awesome! Funny how I look at these cars and think 1994 isn't that old and then realize its 20 years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Awesome! Funny how I look at these cars and think 1994 isn't that old and then realize its 20 years.

You ain't the only one. I owned one of these. Back in the day. Same year. But it was red, black top, auto. Same car as this one.

It feels like a few years ago. Not 20.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Where's the best, cheapest, American made parts, online parts store???

Summit's has the non factory stuff. But I needs Moog ball joints. U joints, struts, shocks, hoses, sp wires.

Partgeeks? Who?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Want 2 piston, 12" 98+ brakes?

I have knuckles, calipers and abutment brackets.
    I also have new guide pins and can probably come up with parts for steel braided bake lines.

I also have upper and lower A-arms. Rebuild them and do the swap so the car remains a roller.

I have all kinds of parts stashed from when we were stripping them making race cars.

You can have them if you want them.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Nice ride ! I had a 96 Impala SS with that same motor 5.7 LT1 and loved it.

It's almost is the same. I had a friend mess around with a couple of impalas. He replaced a motor with one out a camaro.

The heads on the camaro are alloy. The lt1 in your ride has iron heads.

Otherwise. Same thing.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I also have new guide pins and can probably come up with parts for steel braided bake lines.

I also have upper and lower A-arms. Rebuild them and do the swap so the car remains a roller.

I have all kinds of parts stashed from when we were stripping them making race cars.

generous offer.

kudos to mitch!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

I'd absolutely love that. I'd rather replace the balls joints on another set. Then just r&r the swing arms, in an hour.

Pm where this stuff is at, if you would.

I'm starting at front of the car, working back. Ill hit up Rockauto.

After selling the Explorer, subtracting what I paid for the Z.

I can replace everything that moves, pivots, rolls, slides, turns on a bearing.

I'm going to try to keep her as stock-ish as possible. What ever go fast goodie I install, ill be able to track it back.

This ride still has the owners manual. Salesman cards. Extended warranty crap, dealership where it was sold, 50k mile service.

No damage to the underside. Battery area is rusted. K members looks good. No dents or scraps to the floor pans, gas tank shield.

Front nose is really clean. One or two small curb stop rashes. Inch big?

The fabric that holds the rear glass, rotted out.

Trunk floor is spotless. So are quarter panels. Inside and out.

Some small rust around the top rain drain holes. Super easy fix.

Weatherstripping is all intact and Damn good shape. No tears. Even around the bottom of the door seals.

Both factory keys with fobs.

Third gear is going out. I've always wanted to rebuild one these gm jobbers'

Radio is junk. I've read folks can repair these Delcos. I replaced a radio in a 1993 firebird theft recovery. GM sold it for $1200. 15 years ago.

AC has been replace from the front end to the fire wall. Idk, about the evaporator. Compressor, condenser, dryer, lines.

Radiator looks cleans. But you can smell the sweet smell of cheap French wine. Polly water pump.

Overall, she's solid. Real soild. Im going to have fun on this!

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Bring a truck, go through my shed.
    There is a ton of stuff that is going to scrap soon.

How about a set of Koni double adjustable 1LE shocks?
    They need a rebuild ...

Maybe even a couple sets of stock rims.

I'm about an hour and a half north of you.
    PM sent ...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Bring a truck, go through my shed.
    There is a ton of stuff that is going to scrap soon.

How about a set of Koni double adjustable 1LE shocks?
    They need a rebuild ...

Maybe even a couple sets of stock rims.

I'm about an hour and a half north of you.
    PM sent ...

I owe you a solid.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I really did look hard for a mustang. But Damn, everybody has one. You could spend a million buck on it. And there'd still be one faster then yours.

The brand new mustang, is a 4 wheel independent suspension, monster. Everything the car should have been. With an absolutely incredible engine.

I asked myself, So what's the point of having one? (4th gen) They stopped making my favorite model. The Tbird. Imo, Mustang is a stripped down Tbird, with hard seats. No sound insulation. Interior sucks. It's like you're in a plastic ball pit.

Fun car all the same. Ford just tried to fill the world up, with cheap to make, 2Dr coupes. Sold on the lie, it seats 4 comfortably. That's bullshit. The back seat is fake.

Now these f-body, are something different. Nothing is more sexy then a 2001 super sport. It'll make your nipples hard. It's that, Chevy growl, US... Ford guys hate.

Fuckers. I can't get the same sound out of a Ford anything.

Cheapest heap ever valued yet.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom