Join TexasGunTalk

Fort Worth Officer kills woman in her own home

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by BillFairbanks, Oct 12, 2019.

1. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I was responding the comment about it being a burglary call. From all I have read it was put out as an open building call. It's actually immaterial as you don't go prowling around a home at 2:30 in the morning. Hot night, open front door, lights on DUH someone at home.

jordanmills, TheMailMan and deemus like this.
  2. kozmic

kozmic Member

Dec 9, 2013
    This. FTW

jordanmills and BillFairbanks like this.
  3. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    I hope that most of us here don't want to shoot a police officer. Or get shot ourselves. But lady in her own home holding a gun is not any call to shoot ANYONE !
    leVieux

kozmic and TheMailMan like this.
  4. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A lot of fail from dispatch on. There should be more than one person being held accountable in the outcome.

As much as I hate to say it, Glenn B has a pretty good assessment of it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Frank59 likes this.
  5. innominate

innominate Active Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    My niece did a study on eye witness testimony at UT. I can't believe it is still allowed as reliable testimony in court. I could understand, to some extent, if the parties all know each other.

That being said. I did identify someone of another race in a line up a couple weeks after he tried to make off with my wallet at SXSW a few years ago.

jordanmills and toddnjoyce like this.
  6. GMA8877

GMA8877 New Member

Aug 12, 2019
    North Texas
    EXACTLY!!! She apparently thought someone was trying to break in and picked up her gun out of a drawer according to her nephew in an obvious (to us after the fact of course) attempt to protect her nephew, herself and her home and was shot for it. If some said put your hands in the air (or whatever) without stating they were police first who wouldn't hesitate.

jordanmills and ZX9RCAM like this.
  7. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    So someone shining a flashlight into your house is cause to use lethal force against them?

So officers investigating suspicious circumstances at night are not allowed to walk around a house before entering it?

There are definitely strong opinions on this incident, but let's look at the facts from an unbiased stance...

First, yes the victim has a 100% right to defend herself and others from a threat; but does that mean she can justifiably shoot someone outside her home simply because they have a flashlight?

Yes, the officer has every right to defend himself against an armed threat; but was seeing someone in a lighted home that appeared to be the owner--even with a handgun--a legitimate threat?

As I've stated, I think the officer acted prematurely and I can see where his training could be to blame given how academies train to the worst-case scenario. I believe he and his partner's actions in searching the perimeter of the house first to be logical. The came upon the scene and found the front door wide open. Now, whether they should have announced themselves or not could be debated, but I can see why they wouldn't.

I also do not believe the victim did anything wrong, but had she shot the officer instead of the other way around it would have not have been justified either.

Bottom line, the officer was not nefarious in his intent, but he must be held accountable for his actions. I see this going down the same road as the Amber Guyger case, with the same outcome.

oldag and Frank59 like this.
  8. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    but does that mean she can justifiably shoot someone outside her home simply because they have a flashlight?

Who did she shoot?

BRD@66 and TheMailMan like this.
  9. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    Excellent post! I'm sure the lynch mob will take exception.

10. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    Try reading the post again!