Patriot Mobile

Forward Vs. Reverse Grip, Edge in vs Edge Out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Looking at other forums, there seems to be quite a bit of debate on the matter listed in the title. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time sifting through some of the "my kung-fu is stronger than your kung-fu" language. What I am having trouble finding is a discussion on the technical merits and disadvantages of each technique. FYI I'm a novice, and would like to find some good technical material, so I can decide which is best for my needs.
    Links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Wabbit69
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No debate. This is how it goes down.

Reverse just shortens your reach, and limits your attacks to wide swinging slashes or overhand stabs. Remember what humanity learned thousands of years ago - the point beats the edge. A straight-in thrust is harder to deal with, and if you attack with your empty hand an instant before, you distract and there ain't shit the other guy's going be able to do to stop you.

Luckily, the extent of my experience with the subject was taking a knife away from my ex when she was threatening to slash her wrist with it. She was completely non-combative, I did everything textbook, and I have a 1" scar on my hand to remind me that getting anywhere near someone with a knife is a stupid move.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have knocked her out or just walked away. I wouldn't have gone for the knife. Getting cut sucks.

Anyway, with any fight; speed, surprise and violence of action.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    Nice vid, that's why you should always have a weapon. Get with SteveM here on the boards. That is if you want to learn some knife work.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Looking at other forums, there seems to be quite a bit of debate on the matter listed in the title. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time sifting through some of the "my kung-fu is stronger than your kung-fu" language. What I am having trouble finding is a discussion on the technical merits and disadvantages of each technique. FYI I'm a novice, and would like to find some good technical material, so I can decide which is best for my needs.
    Links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Wabbit69

Try Tom Sotis and his AMOK! System.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm no expert when it comes to edged weapons, far from it. That being said, different tools/techniques for different jobs. Depending on how you wear your knife, what if you have to access it with the opposite hand from what you've set it up from? You might end up with a reverse grip or some other grip. Make the most with what you've got. There's no "one grip" that should be used by everyone, all the time, for all uses. Things are much more dynamic than that.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Try Tom Sotis and his AMOK! System.

I took the plunge last Satruday and went to HerbM's class. Looks like I'll be able to fit it in at least twice a month, probably closer to once per week. I took a look at some of the videos. The scariest one was an older polices training video from Dan Inosanto Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube. It appears that the old adage of "never take a knife to a gunfight" is not necessarlity true. Once a contact is inside 20 feet, it appears that a holsterd firearm is all but useless against a determined and skilled adversary wielding a knife. One consistent thing that I noted was that every time the GG failed to move laterally to the three or nine o'clock, he was done for. Now I see what they mean about GOTFX. It also reinforced the importance of situational awareness and managing contacts. Sobering stuff.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Agreed.

If you ever get a chance to run this drill, it's an eye opener:
    Stand facing a target just out of arms reach with your CCW pistol holstered. Have a friend stand behind you, facing away, with his hand on your shoulder. When his hand leaves your shoulder, he starts to sprint away from you, and you draw and fire one shot into the target. When he hears the shot, he drops a marker on the ground. After you are safely holstered, take a tape measure and measure off the distance. Knowing it was coming, and running the drill several times, my buddy and I got down to roughly 15'. We weren't drawing from concealment. We've run this drill with other people in his class and have gotten over 30' on some of them. That's some scary shit right there. And it only get's further out if you're concealed.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Yeah. Also, I'm thinking that trying to fend off a knife or blunt object (or even and empty-hand) attack with one arm while the other arm is tied up trying to access a weapon is a really crappy place to be. Sounds like I need to learn how to use both hands to gain time and distance. I can't wait for class this Saturday!

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I took the plunge last Satruday and went to HerbM's class. Looks like I'll be able to fit it in at least twice a month, probably closer to once per week. I took a look at some of the videos. The scariest one was an older polices training video from Dan Inosanto Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube. It appears that the old adage of "never take a knife to a gunfight" is not necessarlity true. Once a contact is inside 20 feet, it appears that a holsterd firearm is all but useless against a determined and skilled adversary wielding a knife. One consistent thing that I noted was that every time the GG failed to move laterally to the three or nine o'clock, he was done for. Now I see what they mean about GOTFX. It also reinforced the importance of situational awareness and managing contacts. Sobering stuff.

They are great folks in Central TX.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I took the plunge last Satruday and went to HerbM's class. Looks like I'll be able to fit it in at least twice a month, probably closer to once per week. I took a look at some of the videos. The scariest one was an older polices training video from Dan Inosanto Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube. It appears that the old adage of "never take a knife to a gunfight" is not necessarlity true. Once a contact is inside 20 feet, it appears that a holsterd firearm is all but useless against a determined and skilled adversary wieldin a knife. One consistent thing that I noted was that every time the GG failed to move laterally to the three or nine o'clock, he was done for. Now I see what they mean about GOTFX. It also reinforced the importance of situational awareness and managing contacts. Sobering stuff.

Thats awesome, maybe I'll see you at one of the sat classes sometime.

Top Bottom