• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Thanks mi hermanos. I spent several hours earlier today working on it. I shortened the shaft that pushes the safety to "on" when you break the action (so it doesn't do that any more but the safety still works when manually actuated), beveled and polished the chambers and polished the moving parts. It still doesn't want to break open as wide as my old 20 gauge does... and I think I need to get some 000 steel wool to finish off the chamber polishing... but it's passable now for CAS.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Did they ever fix the firing pins on these? I always heard that they were made with a softer steel and would deform easily
    Maybe that was the older ones? I have a 30 year old 20 gauge Stoeger and it's still rocking with no issues - and we shot the snot out of it in CAS, so if it was going to have issues, they would have manifested by now!

Reactions: MTA

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I've heard the same thing. I've got a Rossi Coach Gun, I'd rather have the hammers.
    I like those Rossi hammer guns -they break open so easy but the hammers do slow you down a bit for CAS. But they have the advantage of being super easy to know which chamber is firing right? I'd like to have one of those just because...

Jean Deaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2023
    DFW
    I've been looking for a Stoeger 12 gauge coach gun for a while now and finally found one at Bud's Gun Shop..

Congrats, nice find!
    I was looking for the one as well, finally ordered from BET Armory, it's on the way to my FFL.

But to anyone buying Stoeger Coach Gun from BET please be aware their description is a bit confusing. They have both 12GA and 20GA models but the latter one doesn't show caliber in the description. I ordered my Coach Gun and then checked SKU # on Stoeger website, found it belongs to 20GA model. I called BET for exchange but it was too late, because UPS driver has already collected shipments (yes, BET's processing time is quite impressive). So I had to order one more Coach Gun this time in 12GA and the 20GA will be shipped back to the store. Unfortunately, shipping cost won't be reimbursed.
    Anyways, my hands are itching to start playing with the gun when she arrives.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’ve wanted one of those a long time. Kind of weird I never bought one. Would prefer the hammered version, so maybe a Rossi.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    It's also easy to defeat the auto-safety feature. I did the mods for cowboy shooting, you can look it up. I have the two trigger version.
    Yes it is and I did that straight away. You just shorten the spring rod - there's a hole to capture the spring which makes removing and re-installing much easier. I also shortened that spring by a coil. It's fully CAS ready now. You do have to be careful not to remove too much of the rod as it needs to be long enough to ride in the little ring mount - it will be obvious when you look at it. Only remove just enough so that it doesn't push on the safety when you break the action open.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I also polished the inside of the bores with emery cloth. That way, you can one-handed pop open the breech and the spent shells fall out easily. Then you have two ready in the other hand to pop in quickly.

Last edited:

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I also polished the inside of the bores with emery cloth. That way, you can one-handed pop open the breech and the spent shells fall out easily. Then you have two ready in the other hands to pop in quickly.
    Me too - and also polished the metal to metal parts in the hinge area and applied the silver anti-seize stuff to those areas.

Top Bottom