• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt.hollis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Brazoria Tx
    My aunt lived on North Road until last month when she went to an assisted living facility. I still have a cousin that lives across the river from what used to be Sportsman Span.

I wouldn't be too concerned, it isn't much different than using surplus powder. I loaded some H385 in .223 that didn't have any data from being obsolete so long. It worked fine at 25.0 gr with a 55 gr bullet, about like any other ball powder for a .223.
    Yes sir Paul. I'm a fishing guide out of Sargent Tx for Trout, and Reds. Bet you've been there a time or 2. Mind if I call you. If you don't mind could you pm me your number. If not I understand man
    Thanks again
    Target Sports

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    CPT, PM sent.

It has been a little over a year since I've been in Brazoria County. Buried my uncle Nov 2011 in Lake Jackson.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I would NEVER recommend someone try developing a load with a completely unknown powder. I do not think things have gotten that bad, yet. Fertilizer.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    If it has powder flakes that are green, it's Green Dot. It isn't all of them, just enough in there to make them an identifier. Of course, it really doesn't matter, since Green Dot, with the load I suggested, will just run a little slower velocity than Bullseye does.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Ok . Well I appreciate it guys! I think I may try this , I've been wanting to for a while, and hate to see it go to waste.

Just know you're taking a risk using powder you are unsure of even what powder it is. There are very specific measurements for each different powder/bullet/caliber. If you could take a picture of the powder itself that might at least help identify it.

cdhknives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Beware of squibs using the procedure listed here. If you do have a slow shotgun powder and load a light Bullseye kind of starter load it may not ignite well and leave something in the barrel. Shoot a target and if you get a very light pop and don't see a hole appear, check your bore before shooting again.

Any clues as to what Grandpa loaded it into? That would help too.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    There is no way I would risk bodily injury trying to use a powder like this. There are too many varibles such as age, storage conditions, exact brand, etc.. Take this powder to your local hazardous disposal site and buy yourself a new pound can. Save your fingers.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    There is no way I would risk bodily injury trying to use a powder like this. There are too many varibles such as age, storage conditions, exact brand, etc.. Take this powder to your local hazardous disposal site and buy yourself a new pound can. Save your fingers.
    If you decide to dispose of it, please give me the opportunity to be your waste dump.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Powder deteriorates with age, that means it gets weaker as it grows older, not the other way around. Single based powders are worse about decomposition than double based. The majority of flake powder suitable for shot guns is double based. Alliant has some Unique from 1899 sitting on a shelf covered in water. Periodically they pat it dry and shoot it and it shoots just like it always did.

Unique was first manufactured in about 1898 and was one of the first powders Du Pont turned over to Hercules. A jar of Unique powder sits on the shelf at the Alliant Powder plant in Radford, Virginia. The powder in the jar was made in 1899 and still performs to original specifications. "Unique is the oldest and most versatile powder on the market," Quesenberry says.

BTW, here's Alliant's advertisement:

AlliantA.jpg

Last edited:

darstcreek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    katy Tx
    Throw it away If your not 100 per cent the type of powder it is if you over load or under load a pistol/ rifle load it could really be dangerous to you and any body standing next to you ..

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom